The Hillary Clinton for President Thread

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.
Polka_Tulk
Forum Addict

Re: The Hillary Clinton for President Thread

Postby Polka_Tulk » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So where are you going to go, small child?

The fan-boy is strong on this one. You can always tell the Mil.Gov pension-for-lifers by the distinct stench of metabolized acetic acid in their belching, their alcoholic sweat, employing classic troll behavior, slurring the messenger.
So you want a President who laughs when a guy is ass-raped with a machete? What do you bring?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Polka_Tulk wrote:Bush the Lesser brought two wars. Obama brought six wars. Clinton, trained like a Pavlovian Dog, will do whatever her fascist handlers tell her to do, and bring on War of the Worlds in MENA.

Dude (lady?), c'mon, come clean. Are you borrowing someone else's ranty panties, or paraphrasing yourself?

Uk Tahder on Moon of Alabama wrote:Hillary is trained like a Pavlovian dog now to execute all-out war in MENA. ... Bush the Lesser brought two wars. Obama brought six wars. Clinton will bring War of the Worlds...

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Eh, the true Republicans should love Hillary - a big business D is just an old school R with a little (very little) social justice thrown in. They are so blinded by their hatred of Bill you'd think he was the only person who ever had sex while in office with someone he wasn't married to - but his accomplishments were NAFTA and the school to prison pipeline -great for big business and getting black people off the street.
Hillary really should benefit from that legacy, but irrational hatred is irrational hatred. She's a woman and her voice isn't high enough and she is getting older and she should be in jail for doing the same thing Colin Powell and Condi Rice and Dick Cheney did, and she's not womanly enough and she should have known what was going to happen because she's a woman, and she never poses in a bikini so.....

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 am

Galoot wrote:John Henry, Comey's words, when asked if Hillary Clinton lied to the FBI, were "we have no basis to conclude she lied to the FBI". Video of that exchange here.

Your video does not open for me but I suspect I know what you are referring to.

You are quite correct. They cannot conclude that she lied to the FBI. I would also point out that she was not interrogated under oath and there was no transcript. Of her Saturday meetup which I think is the only one there was. I would note also that he does not exactly say she did not lie. He used lawyerly talk that might mean she didn't but might also mean that she did but they could not prove it. Nitpicking perhaps but the entire US system of law relies on nitpicking.

She sure lied her ass off everywhere else, though.

http://adam.curry.com/enc/1467922005.78 ... ercut2.mp3

As the mashup of her lies and Comey's refutations show.

He also said that she did not intend to break the law. He was quite clear that she broke it (The law against negligent handling of classified material) and that there would have been "consequences" for anyone else.

http://adam.curry.com/enc/1468180167.25 ... uences.mp3

John Henry

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:04 am

I'll hazard a prediction here.

I think, at some point, the Clinton campaign or a pro-Clinton PAC will put out something of a similar vein to the infamous Daisy ad.

The Clinton campaign already released an ad showing little kids watching the worst of Trump's quotes, to give the idea that Trump doesn't have the temperament to lead our nation. Seriously, the tag line is "the children are watching".

The Dilbert blog put forwards the idea that Clinton is ahead in the polls because the Crooked Hillary meme is less damaging than the Crazy Racist Trump meme. That makes sense. In the long run, the country doesn't want a crook or a racist in the White House, but a crazy man could destroy the world.

Note that I am not convinced that Hillary is crooked or that Trump is racist. In fact, Trump may well be more crooked and less racist. But, the racist lable is dangerous. Consider how David Duke lost to a known crook. The crazy lable is even more dangerous than either the crooked or the racist lable.

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:09 am

fflambeau wrote:I am actually surprised, and pleased, that Clinton has embraced a very progressive Democratic party platform. It calls for a single payer alternative, a raise in the minimum wage to $15 an hour, bolstering Social Security, and more. Bernie Sanders chief strategist has said the platform accepted 80% of what the Sanders people wanted.

Clinton will be a great President.

It is a platform not a done deal.

How much of this do you think a President Crooked Hilary will even try to accomplish?

Their just talking points for the rubes in flyover country.

Remember the things Bill Clinton promised to do in his first 100 days? (Calling back FDR) He had a demmie House and Senate. How many did he even try to accomplish?

Ditto President Obama. Of all his campaign promises, how many did he even attempt? He did manage healthcare, sort of. Look how well that has turned out. Any others? Like closing Gitmo? "You can take that to the bank!"

John Henry

John Henry

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:

deep thoughtful analysis from former MTV VJ Adam Curry!

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:49 am

Something I keep having to remind some people:
Cute derogatory nicknames only weaken your argument.
Many years ago I used to refer to W as "George DWI Bush" or "George AWOL Bush", until I realized how stupid it was.

Anything I see with "Democrat Party" or "Obongo" or "Crooked Hillary" I can safely ignore. They all scream "I'm a troll"

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:45 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:Something I keep having to remind some people:
Many years ago I used to refer to W as "George DWI Bush" or "George AWOL Bush", until I realized how stupid it was.

Anything I see with "Democrat Party" or "Obongo" or "Crooked Hillary" I can safely ignore. They all scream "I'm a troll"

Agree. In the interest of being even-handed, the term "Drumpf" evokes the same reaction.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 pm

gargantua wrote:
PaleoLiberal wrote:Something I keep having to remind some people:

Agree. In the interest of being even-handed, the term "Drumpf" evokes the same reaction.

Agreed.
Also tired of "typical [insert party name here] behavior", especially as that's usually followed by one of the aforementioned derogatory names, instantly negating any high ground the speaker thinks they're occupying.

PaleoLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby PaleoLiberal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:45 pm

It is sad we even have to point out what is and is not serious posting behavior.

We've covered over generalization and name calling.

Add to this:

Straw man: bad
Ad hominem: bad
Humor: depends. Childish humor isn't as funny as you think. Being able to laugh at yourself is usually good.

Cats named Stanley: good for a running joke since it hasn't been overdone.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:02 pm

PaleoLiberal wrote:Cats named Stanley: good for a running joke since it hasn't been overdone.

Plus, he's ADORABLE!
That said, his campaign seems to have lost momentum. It's too hot for cats these days.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I also think the "sending a message to Washington" take on voting doesn't accomplish anything. I don't think Washington is listening.

Actually, it is one of the things they do pay attention to. After every election, both parties will pore over the results, ward-by-ward, in order to determine where third/fourth parties managed to siphon away "their" votes. Both parties will also conduct market research, in order to find which issues it was that drives those voters to seek answers elsewhere, in order for them to possibly adopt those issues as their own. A lot of changes in our country...some major, like Women's Suffrage...came about exactly that way.

Also, Sanders probably would not have have even entered into this primary if it wasn't for the (relatively) strong showing Nader had previously. That election clearly showed there was a very strong thirst for a progressive candidate, leading Bernie to try and tackle it with the party rather than outside. If Sanders hadn't ran and had such a solid race, then Clinton wouldn't have moved to the left (at least for now) as much as she did. Ergo - Hillary would be far more to the right if it wasn't for Ralph's running in 2000.

Don't get me wrong - if you actually support Hillary then by all means vote for her. But do not vote for her if the only reason is 'cause you're buying into the "don't waste your vote" or "you're voting for Trump" bullshit....don't let the bullies suppress your vote like that. In fact, a case could be made that voting for one of the TwoMajorParties is actually the "wasted vote". After all, the BigTwo already have ballot access, media respect, matching funds for candidates, invites to televised debates, etc etc etc. Voting for a third/fourth party helps them a lot more in those regards than voting for either of the other two does.

More importantly, if everyone just keeps on voting for whatever Wal-Mart-loving Goldman-Sachs-owned TPP-embracing chickenhawk that the Establishment Wing of the party puts on the ballot, than that is the only option you and your kids and your grandkids will ever have on the ballot. After all, why would you expect the powers-that-be to put anyone different on the ticket when they know most of ya'll are gonna vote for 'em no matter what their stances are?

You want an actual choice someday? Then the time to start is now.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:00 pm

peripat wrote:Eh, the true Republicans should love Hillary - a big business D is just an old school R with a little (very little) social justice thrown in.

i was getting ready to make this point myself but i think this quote hits the nail on the head very succinctly; i was planning on meandering into rerum novarum and all that jazz . . .

mr trump's teleprompterised speech on glorious on paper, but that's just the problem: on paper . . .

the foreign policy record of h r c bothers me more and more all the time, but i don't really see anywhere else to go; the libertarian policy on trade is abominable as surely as eggs are eggs (sounds like h r c is too close for comfort too and she should know better) but if it looks like the libertarians are closing in on getting matching funds for 2020, state ballot lines &c that might be a good tactical vote, especially if a 1936-style democrat tsunami is in the works . greens too . . .

i noticed both parties are holding their conventions in the same cities as 1936, by the way . . .

johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 am

DCB wrote:
johnfajardohenry wrote:

deep thoughtful analysis from former MTV VJ Adam Curry!

There is actually a cliche about that: "If you can't attack the message, attack the messenger."

It was not actually Curry who put that together, anyway. He merely brought it to my attention.

Here is the original:

Since Reason Foundation and its magazine and TV is supported by the the evil KOCH BROTHERS!!!! you can put your cliche to use here, too.

Or you might discuss what Clinton and Comey had to say. Naaaah. Just kidding.

John Henry

Return to “National Politics & Government”