Spawn of Son of Snowpocalypse

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Spawn of Son of Snowpocalypse

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Bad day for semi's.

A man is dead after a semi crashed into the Red Cedar River.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

Semi-Truck Crash in Horicon
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 059&type=1

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:19 pm

I thought of putting this in the "Madison sucks at snow removal" thread but since I'm praising the snow plow crew that seemed like the wrong title.

We were absolutely positive we wouldn't see a plow till sometime tomorrow but those guys came by this afternoon with two trucks and got the street scraped down good and proper. All the way out to the edges even, if there weren't any cars.

I had to get out and blow the sidewalk twice because they threw the snow right over the bank and completely filled it up again but what the hey. I am pleased to have the first heavy snow not end up as a pattern of ruts like a slot car track.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:03 pm

I shoveled, didn't bother with the bottom of the driveway because the plow hadn't been by, went back out after they came through and finished- a couple of hours later they came through again & I watched, resigned, as they covered the end of the driveway again...but the small plow backed up, came back and pushed that snow to the end of the street too. Yay.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 am

The plows must have made at least one more run down the street. We watched a guy dig out his car across the street about ten thirty and left a mess in front of our neighbor's driveway. I was thinking I'd probably end up shoveling that out after work today because she's got a bad back. But this morning it was cleaned up and her apron only had a small snowbank in it. They must have come by during the alternate side hours because the whole street was done.

This winter's starting out a lot better than the last one.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:37 am

They had a snowpocalypse in Ashland.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/northw ... 7500b.html

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:03 pm

No wonder the building codes for roofs up north are written for greater load bearing capacity.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:34 pm

Who's up for a foot of snow?? Me too!!
http://www.weather.gov/mkx/winterstorm020316

Hopefully enough snow will pile up to prevent that overgrown rat groundhog from seeing light, but I don't know, I'm not feeling this storm. For some reason I'm sensing BUST with this one.

Even so, I decided to exhume this thread because reading it again made me giddy. There are few things I love more than the build up to a big ol' snow event. Hope I'm wrong about this one.

Best thing about this storm, I'll be headed to May-hee-co a couple days after, so I'd get to enjoy the snow and then see ya suckers!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Enjoy your trip! A day or two after the snow gets tired of screwing around with us, it gets back to normal around here.
It'll be all dirty and tired-looking for you when you get home.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:24 am

Weather.com has adjusted its forecast to 1-3 inches for this area.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:47 am

AccuWeather is still saying 4-8" but mixed with rain. Wunderground has dropped its forecast to 1-3" as well.

I will go with 1-3 on the grounds I prefer to believe news that I like over displeasing news.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:51 am

Fun fact: Weather.com bought Wunderground last year, so it's not surprising that their forecasts match. I hope for the best and expect the worst, as my late Grandma used to say.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:55 am

By now it seems likely the heart of the accumulation will be north and west of us, but if that projected path deviates by just 10 or 20 miles, it will make a huge impact on the amount of snow we'll see. According to the maps currently on the link I posted above, we're sitting right on the edge of the "big stuff", but still in 6-8 inch territory. Far southeast Dane county is in the 3 inch range, and far northwest Dane county is looking at 8-10 according to NOAA.

1-3 inches here? NOAA seems to disagree, but maybe weather.com is right and my initial hunch was right and this storm is a bust for Madison. Central WI looks to be in for it though!

Snoqueen, really?? With a handle like that??

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:18 pm

gargantua wrote:Fun fact: Weather.com bought Wunderground last year, so it's not surprising that their forecasts match. I hope for the best and expect the worst, as my late Grandma used to say.

Good for Jeff and the wunderground crew whoever they are. Write a nifty little telnet script in the 90's, go national, make it through all the booms and busts, and sell it off twenty years later. More power to 'em. It chanced that I had some interaction with those guys through work back when telnet and gopher were the big buzzwords and they were always great to work with.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:23 pm

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:38 pm

Roy wrote:Image

Ah yes, the ol' "it's wintery outside during winter so ACW is a hoax" argument. Always fun when you trot out that stupidity. And what reputable scientist anywhere has ever said "snow is a thing of the past?" No one, that's who.

So how's that "it's gonna be a super cold winter" prediction of yours working out for ya, Roy?

Return to “Headlines”