Southern European wine regions

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Southern European wine regions

Postby Madsci » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

So where would your suggest to visit? This is still in the initial planning stage for sometime in the next couple of years.

For family reasons, Croatia is on the wish list. We are thinking one other country would include, Italy, France, or Spain (at least we can speak a bit of it's language).

We like red wines. So it Germany out of the running?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Southern European wine regions

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Have a look at Provence and Languedoc. There are a number of producers there who have essentially opted out of the appelation system to see if they can make a name for themselves outside of the formal regulatory system. They're free to experiment with unconventional grape varieties, for example, or to deviate from prescribed proportions. (Even if they seek to make traditional wines.)
Algeria and Lebanon are worth looking into, as well.

I don't know much about other regions, but I'd love to hear your report.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Has anyone been to N Italy? I have been told the area may have good some good wine.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Madsci wrote:Has anyone been to N Italy? I have been told the area may have good some good wine.
No, that couldn't be. You must be thinkng of North Dagestan.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:35 pm

fennel wrote:
Madsci wrote:Has anyone been to N Italy? I have been told the area may have good some good wine.

I had to look Dagestan up, so no, too far east. Have you been there? We are looking for places on or closer to the Mediterranean.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Madsci wrote:
fennel wrote:

I had to look Dagestan up, so no, too far east. Have you been there? We are looking for places on or closer to the Mediterranean.
I kid, I kid.

But only because it's as if you're asking whether there might be some interesting architecture in Florence, say. No matter where you go, you'll be in proximity to too many good wines to choose from.

I like me some wine, though I don't know a lot about Italy. But I do know that the Piedmont region has a huge reputation for big, earthy reds. (And Arneis is a beautiful stoney white from that area.) The area north of Venice, along the Adriatic, is famous for it's whites, too.

I have not been there, but I'm confident that if you go, you will love it. My only real suggestion is to travel slowly.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:10 pm

You kid, but I didn't know you are a goat!

We do travel slowly or else it isn't vacation. So many vineyards so little time...

Snake

Postby Snake » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:18 am

I spent a month in France with my Family September-October 2009. We explored all Provence regions together with Cote d'Azur and really enjoyed fine French wines! Probably you should consider Bordeaux for red wines. Actually for me wines were good and affordable everywhere in France. The only problem is that I had to drive often :problem:
All French Riviera is crazy, luxurious cars, villas and rich people. Basically an average house in Cannes looks like that https://tranio.com/france/adt/667506/ and costs a fortune. We were really lucky to stay at our friend’s apartment who was gone overseas (that’s why most of our time we stayed in Cannes). I would not recommend to stay there, as there are much more things to do in Nice for example and the prices are lower than in Cannes or Saint-Trapez.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Still dreaming of this vacation but it's been delayed at least until 2021. By then I plan to really retire and not have to worry about my animals on the farm.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm in La Rioja as we speak.

I'd come here again.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:36 pm

Rioja (red) is one of my favorite styles. I've never been closer than the Greek Isles in the Aegean Sea to you. Their wines aren't shabby at all, but the Rioja region is something else I'm sure.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 pm

gargantua wrote:Rioja (red) is one of my favorite styles. I've never been closer than the Greek Isles in the Aegean Sea to you. Their wines aren't shabby at all, but the Rioja region is something else I'm sure.
Rioja became a thing when a lot of Bordeaux winemakers moved south because of the phylloxera blight in the 19th century.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Sorry my initial post was so terse, but I was posting from my iPhone.

We arrived in La Rioja towards the tail end of a two week trip to Spain. We started out in Barcelona, flew up to Bilbao, then over to San Sebastian. From San Sebastian we took a spectacular bus trip over the mountains to Logroño, where we stayed for two nights.

The Rick Steves' Spanish guide book dismisses Logroño with a single sentence ('skippable,' he calls it), but we found it to be perfectly charming, if a little square - it was the only place we went to where we did not regularly get the whiff of pot smoke in the street.

The second day there we took a private wine tasting tour of the La Rioja region. Our guide, José, was extremely knowledgeable regarding the politics and economics of Spanish vinoculture, which was characteristically complicated. The wine was fantastic.

From a climate / geography perspective it reminded me of California - not so much Napa Valley as the Salinas Valley, which is rockier and more arid.

I would definitely recommend it as a tourist destination.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 am

Madsci wrote:So where would your suggest to visit? This is still in the initial planning stage for sometime in the next couple of years.

For family reasons, Croatia is on the wish list. We are thinking one other country would include, Italy, France, or Spain (at least we can speak a bit of it's language).

We like red wines. So it Germany out of the running?

which region of croatia?

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 am

Dalmatia is the region of Croatia on the wine tour wish list.

Return to “Travel”