Die, Catchphrase, Die!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3216
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby wack wack » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 pm

You know the ones I'm talking about... suddenly everywhere, all the time, you can't help but cringe each time you hear it.

My nominee of the day: "power of the purse." Talking heads, radio callers, Facebook posters all discussing "the power of the purse."

Gag me with a Coach bag.

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2379
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby Sandi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35 pm

"Talking heads"

minicat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby minicat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:09 pm

"both parties are to blame for the shutdown"

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:33 am
Location: Near East Sider

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:31 am

Twerk. Twerking. Miley Cyrus.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1733
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 am

"Full faith and credit"
Yes, this notion is a big F'ing deal.
But it rings a bit hollow as the 'arms race' around who is the biggest boogeyman escalates.
Hey!
Wait a minute.
Are there some elections coming round next fall?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3421
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:54 pm

breastaurants

First time I've heard the term, but it needs to die quickly, in a fire

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4424
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby Ducatista » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

[This] is the new [that].

(Orange Is The New Black is a great show, though.)

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:10 pm

What I want to die are all these football 'signature poses' like Cam Newton's real life Superman GIF and even, hate to say it, but Clay Mathews' Predator thing he does doesn't seem cool when he just keeps doing it. Now, everybody in the NFL thinks they have to have their own signature pose.

So fed up with football poses. The trick is, you score a play, then while the play is over you pretend to be a movie character of some kind and scream. It's completely generic, overplayed, and makes a sports hero look like a poser.

Here's Cam Newton being "Superman".

Image

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6008
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby kurt_w » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:breastaurants

First time I've heard the term, but it needs to die quickly, in a fire


I'd go further than that. 90% of all newly coined portmanteau words ought to be shot on sight. The remaining 10% can be allowed in. So, for example, we can keep "smog" but "digerati" and "brostache" and "staycation" and "cremains" and "mockumentary" and "sexpert" and "skort" and "blaccent" and "anecdata" have to go.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby john_titor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:breastaurants

First time I've heard the term, but it needs to die quickly, in a fire


I have never been half way through a meal and thought to myself, "yeah it would be even better if I was having sex right now." Vice-versa even. I don't get the concept.

On topic: #

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3137
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Die, Catchphrase, Die!

Postby O.J. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:06 am

john_titor wrote:I have never been half way through a meal and thought to myself, "yeah it would be even better if I was having sex right now." Vice-versa even. I don't get the concept.


You've never flown too close to the sun on wings of pastrami?


Return to “Catch All”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest