Badger fans: "We was robbed!"

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Badger fans: "We was robbed!"

Postby Huckleby » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:58 am

You weren't cheated. You weren't unlucky. You were stupid.

18 seconds left in a game, chip shot field goal, no timeouts, clock conveniently stopped. You don't screw around, you bring in the field goal team and kick it.

BTW, I didn't see Stave take a knee, I just saw him oddly set the ball on the ground.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Badger fans: "We was robbed!"

Postby Stomach » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:21 am

Huckleby wrote:BTW, I didn't see Stave take a knee, I just saw him oddly set the ball on the ground.

The 2011 and 2012 NCAA Rules state in Rule 4, Section 1, Article 3(o): "A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead …When a ball carrier simulates placing his knee on the ground."[3]

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:40 am

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 am

Stomach wrote:"A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead …When a ball carrier simulates placing his knee on the ground."

Ya, I hear ya. I agree that the refs got confused and reacted slowly. I wonder if the refs saw Stave taking a knee. It's clear from a freeze-frame photo but not so obvious live. From talk radio, lots of people missed it. Hell broke loose because of Stave's brain fart.

Stave concedes the problem was that he neglected to hand the ball to the referee so the ref could quickly restart play. Stave dumbly and oddly set the ball on the ground. Defensive players quite reasonably and smartly dove on the ball. They may or may not have seen Stave genuflect, but for sure they smelled brain fart.

Forget any referee error, refs can't be counted on to be efficient in a confusing situation. The core problem was the indefensible decision to run an unnecessary play. This is not pro football, college players are not disciplined under pressure. Even if Stave was Peyton Manning, the chances of all the players being set properly in that frantic situation were about 50-50. Any penalty near end of game carries a 10 second run-off - game over.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:08 am

The honeymoon for Gary Anderson is over.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 am

Was Stave simply moving the ball to the other hash for French's attempt?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:28 am

I assumed he was trying to center the ball for a field goal attempt.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:53 am

Stave was down. ASU player flopped on it. Should have been a delay of game penalty. Whistle blew with 14 seconds left. Bucky got screwed. 18 seconds left no one was getting cute Huck. Gary Anderson had this team fighting to the end.the chances of them getting set are more like 99 to 1. They practice that constantly. And yes you should be able to count on he refs to do their job.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 am

Also the 10 second run off is for an offensive penalty. A defensive penalty which should have been called gives the offense one more play. Game cannot end on a defensive penalty.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:09 pm

The part that was frustrating is that the referees were clearly able to cope with a hurry up situation, since Arizona State ran that offense all game.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Mike Pereira, former VP of officiating for the NFL, says that the Badgers should have been awarded an extra play, and a chance to kick the game winning field goal. 'Nuff said.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:06 pm

I rarely watch football, and am no expert, but even just listening to the game on the radio last night, I was wondering why they ran that last play and cut it so close timewise.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Well, I'm sure if you look at everything in hindsight, the refs made mistakes.

To me, the more significant point is that Stave threw the situation into chaos when he foolishly put the ball on the ground, allowing the defenders to jump on the ball. I can easily see how the refs were thrown into a state of confusion at that point.

And more importantly, it was severely bonehead for the Badgers to be running that extra play at all. The chances of bad things happening there, especially a game-ending offensive penalty were high.

You can focus on the inefficient actions of the refs in those 15 seconds, and technically you may be right. I look at the obvious of stupidity of the Badgers and say they deserved to lose.
Last edited by Huckleby on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:I rarely watch football, and am no expert, but even just listening to the game on the radio last night, I was wondering why they ran that last play and cut it so close timewise.

They did it because people often make poor decisions under pressure. That one cost them the game.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Stave is still a college kid, and being the parent of one currently, many of the things they do are 'foolish', because they are kids. He gets a pass from me. The coach, not so much.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”