Loss of small, independent pharmacies

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Zoti Bemba
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Loss of small, independent pharmacies

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:22 pm

I owe a debt to Community Pharmacy for the years they helped support my insulin and blood glucose test strip habits by foregoing their mark-up because I didn't have insurance. Now that I am insured I wouldn't go anywhere else -- they have my loyalty until I fold or they do. I really needed the help at the time.

I hope that they are still able to offer it -- I've gotten a sense over the last few years that the big chains and Internet pharmacies have been cutting into their business and changing their relationship with their distributors. I assume other small independent pharmacies are facing the same sort of challenges, though Community Pharmacy might be a little more resilient since it's a worker co-op whose members can come and go (or retire) without substantially disrupting, or selling, the business.

Even so, the times they are a-changing.

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 am

Mallatt's, Monroe St. They got all our business after Shopko took one of my prescriptions and failed to point out to me that the prescription was due to expire before I would have filled all of my refills. I admit, it took me a while to get in there as I still had drugs to cover a few months. So they lost our business for failing to pay attention to detail. Which can be hugely problematic in a pharmacy.

As for catching potential errors by the prescribing physician, they are supposed to do that and act as part of the medical team. Pharmacists will speak to the prescriber if s/he thinks there is a problem with the prescribed drug. No one is perfect and in this day of 15 minutes of face time, usually the max, with a physician, it is good to know that there is another pair of educated eyes that is going to look at that prescription. Assuming of course that it can be read in the first place.

I think Mallatt's joined or even initially formed a consortium with a number of other independently owned pharmacies which gave them a size that allowed for negotiation on drug prices from pharmaceutical firms. So they can get the same deals on large purchases and their prices should be comparable to the big boxes. I believe that Neuhauser also belongs to this consortium.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:05 am

bleurose wrote: I believe that Neuhauser also belongs to this consortium.

Don't know about Mallatt's but Neuhauser, while independent, belongs to Health Mart.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am

Walgreens fined for price scanner inaccuracies

This isn't the first time numerous Walgreens in the state have been caught for overcharging. And in the latest instances, some did not correct the mistakes even after the state investigators notified them of the errors.

Buyer beware.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Mallatt's is closing all four of their pharmacies. The two in Madison will just be selling costumes. That will keep them going at least through Halloween.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 pm

This is sad news indeed. Pretty soon Walgreens and CVS will be all that's left.

msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby msnflyer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:38 pm

I know this may result in howls but I need to give a shout to Walmart on Nakoosa Tr. The pharmacist, who's name escapes me at the moment, has saved us a lot of money. She suggested asking the Dr. about non-time release meds. The price difference is $130/month. Even high volume pharmacies can have their star performers who treat customers well.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Costco pharmacy has helped some people I know with prices as well.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Mallatt's is closing all four of their pharmacies. The two in Madison will just be selling costumes. That will keep them going at least through Halloween.

Mallatts has also been the best supplier for the theatre enthusiasts in town:(

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Down here in the Burque we have a nearby place called Duran Central Pharmacy, where we prefer to go for our meds. Not only do they have a funky gift shop, they also have a small greasy spoon that serves some of the best red chile in the state. For an occasional treat we'll stop and have the cheese enchiladas with red chile and a fried egg on top.

My health insurance, however, has been trying to get us to switch to mail order drugs. There's a penalty for using the pharmacy more than a certain number of times. For most items I don't mind paying the penalty, but for some meds it's too costly and I've had to cave.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Not only do they have a funky gift shop, they also have a small greasy spoon that serves some of the best red chile in the state.
Our old Renny's used to be that way.

Can someone tell me the name of a little diner (early 70's) on E. Main, just east of the Square. They had great breakfasts!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:06 pm

Wasn't Crandall's, was it?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm thinking of the one where the Greek/breakfast place (a worthy successor) is now. It was run by a grouchy, very funny old gay guy with a loyal --and often equally funny -- morning clientele. When he decided to retire, that was the end of it.

Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:25 pm

Cleveland's Lunch? Is that what you're thinking of?

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:53 pm

That's probably what sno's thinking of, but maybe not Bwis? Cleveland's/Plaka is on E. Wilson, not E. Main.

The Plaka crew ran Cleveland's for a dozen years or so after Quentin retired, though it wasn't the same. It became Cleveland's Diner instead of Cleveland's Lunch, for one thing, and at some point they lost the side room. I miss that room... drinking coffee and smoking after breakfast, gazing at all the treasures that lined the walls.

Return to “Town Vibe”