RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21197
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 am

This article names those who have been nominated for this year's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Who have you seen and who should get in?

I've seen Albert King, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Deep Purple, Randy Newman and Heart. In my opinion, the first two should definitely be inducted.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby scratch » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:This article names those who have been nominated for this year's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Who have you seen and who should get in?
I've seen Albert King, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Deep Purple, Randy Newman and Heart. In my opinion, the first two should definitely be inducted.


The Meters, Public Enemy, NWA, Albert King, and the Butterfield Blues Band should be inducted IMNSHO. Maybe others, too, but I think Peter Tosh, Lee Perry, and a lot of other non-U.S./U.K acts deserve induction before many of the current nominees. I'm agnostic on Newman. Deep Purple might deserve induction, but only if Ritchie Blackmore shows up and delivers the thank you speech.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby minicat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:09 pm

I predict there will still not be enough cocaine in Cleveland to get Chic in. Nor should they be ... but the rock Hall has been a joke for years so it probably doesn't matter, and I guess I don't really care. Any legitimacy that place ever had was killed when Wenner blocked the DC5's nomination even though they had enough votes.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9465
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:20 pm

minicat wrote:I predict there will still not be enough cocaine in Cleveland to get Chic in. Nor should they be ...

Why the hell not?

And you can take that in one of two ways:
Either they should be included because they were a hugely influential band who helped define their era, or they should be included because they sold a gazillion records, tore up the charts, and spawned successful careers which continue to this day.

I honestly have no idea what the criteria are for induction, but at least one of those must be part of the equation, right? I mean, it can't just be a seemingly random selection of the favorite performers of a small group of people who are in no way representative of the bulk of music fans and performers, right?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3216
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby wack wack » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I mean, it can't just be a seemingly random selection of the favorite performers of a small group of people who are in no way representative of the bulk of music fans and performers, right?


You ask this with a wink and a nudge, right?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby jman111 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

NWA
PE

Rock and Roll?

minicat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby minicat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
minicat wrote:I predict there will still not be enough cocaine in Cleveland to get Chic in. Nor should they be ...

Why the hell not?

And you can take that in one of two ways:
Either they should be included because they were a hugely influential band who helped define their era, or they should be included because they sold a gazillion records, tore up the charts, and spawned successful careers which continue to this day.


Yeah, I know. They (and most other disco) are just not my jam in any way.

That being said, selling a lot of records and being influential is not necessarily a mark of quality (though I wouldn't argue those two points as a criticism of Chic).

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9465
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:32 pm

minicat wrote:That being said, selling a lot of records and being influential is not necessarily a mark of quality

Is "quality" really a criterion for nomination?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3035
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:20 pm

It was nice of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to induct the back of Bob Dylan's head.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby minicat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: Is "quality" really a criterion for nomination?


minicat wrote: but the rock Hall has been a joke for years so it probably doesn't matter, and I guess I don't really care.


SUCK IT JANN WENNNNNNERRRRRRRRRR

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby jammybastard » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:28 am

RUSH FTW!

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby Detritus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
minicat wrote:That being said, selling a lot of records and being influential is not necessarily a mark of quality

Is "quality" really a criterion for nomination?

If they were interested in quality, it wouldn't be called a "Hall of Fame," would it?

scratch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby scratch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:59 am

Detritus wrote:If they were interested in quality, it wouldn't be called a "Hall of Fame," would it?


Perhaps the Prof is suggesting that their induction process doesn't quite match the promise of their billing. Hard to disagree.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9465
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 am

Detritus wrote:If they were interested in quality, it wouldn't be called a "Hall of Fame," would it?
Heh.
If they were interested in quality, they wouldn't just ask the same buncha people every year come nominating time.
But minicat shouldn't just blame Jann Wenner. Plenty of blame for Dave Marsh, as well.

scratch wrote:Perhaps the Prof is suggesting that their induction process doesn't quite match the promise of their billing.

Honestly -- and I've thought this since the Hall was announced, long before it became apparent just how pathetic this endeavor would turn out to be -- I'm suggesting that the whole enterprise is wrongheaded from the get-go. I'm not sure Rock and Roll belongs in a museum in the first place, but such a museum* could certainly exist without the trappings of The Hall, which is simply a way of trying to forcibly canonize a particular group's taste and has little if anything to do with the actual history of the music. Heck, the tools running the nomination process don't even seem to care about their own taste sometimes, given their penchant for ignoring seminal doo-wop, for example, in favor of more "bankable" inductees who will draw a bigger crowd and make for flashier live entertainment at the induction ceremony.

*That said, the museum as it currently stands (or at least, as it stood a decade or so ago when I was there) is mostly pathetic.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 802
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: RnR Hall of Fame nominees

Postby scratch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:16 pm

minicat wrote:Any legitimacy that place ever had was killed when Wenner blocked the DC5's nomination even though they had enough votes.


According to Wikipeida, which I realize may or may not be authoritative on any particular question, the Dave Clark 5 are in the RRHoF. There's a chatty little summary about their induction in the article.

But Wenner's still a dick.


Return to “General Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests