Madison Pools, Lakes, rivers = swimming lessons?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Madison Pools, Lakes, rivers = swimming lessons?

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:33 am

I grew up in a family of kayakers, river rats, and all around outdoors people in the summer. Part of my (dreaded) summer routine when I was old enough to be home alone during the summer was mandatory swim lessons that my parents relentlessly pushed me into. There's nothing I hated more that waking up early and crawling into a cold pool during those cool early mornings during summer (I much preferred sleeping until the sun was high and the air was warm).

But I've got to hand it to my parents, they were looking out for me. We were always around water in some way and they wanted all us kids to be safe. Plus I had a few really good summers working as a swimming instructor and lifeguard.

So parents and adults of TDPF, what is your feeling on Swimming lessons for your kids? Do most of you guys swim during the summer?

-Dan Motor

Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison Pools, Lakes, rivers = swimming lessons?

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Swimming lessons are good, nay, very good. I abhorred them at first. I thought they were a form of torture. I don't know if it was finding a better instructor, or what, but there was some point where knowing how to move through water suddenly manifested itself as a kind of pure freedom.

My father was in the Navy, though he never learned how to swim. He could only dog-paddle in order to stay afloat. He wanted better for his kid.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Neither parent could swim. They made us go through "Swimmers" level (Beginner, Adv. Beginner, Intermediate, Swimmer) . I hated swimming lessons. Took me 5 times to pass Beginners. Once I got through Swimmers, I figured I might as well take lifesaving class and get a job.

When I was in college I was a student assistant teaching lifesaving classes. (Translated - thrashing victim that gets towed in by students so that the professor does not get wet) I still occasionally got the stomach ache that I did as a kid when it was time for swimming lessons.

Our kids started out in the MSCR lessons. The facilities are not great (generally High School pools) but the teachers were very good. The YMCA teachers were generally very good as well. We ended up joining the neighborhood pool for about 9 summers. Lots of fun for the kids, and they got to swim in meets. The lessons at the summer pools weren't quite as good (usually college or high school kids teaching) but they get to practice swimming a lot.

If you want to try out the summer pool thing without popping for big money, some of the private pools often let you try things out for one summer for a reduced amount. I think all of them have availability with the possible exception of Hill Farm. Also there are the public pools - Goodman Pool, Middleton, Monona, Sun Prairie, and some other communities farther out. Their fees are typically much less, and they all offer single day options if they are not full.

Forum Addict

Postby Twinner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:43 pm

We took our daughter to the East Side YMCA once she was potty trained for lessons. She's been swimming ever since.

I don't remember when or where I learned but it sure comes in handy. I broke my leg and have had a couple of surgeries so I can't ride my bike or run yet. I've been swimming every day for 45 minutes to an hour for exercise.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 am

Thumbs up on the swimming lessons. As a child, I took lessons at Warner Beach (ugh), but the 'lil Neds are doing the pool route. Mrs. Ned was a surfer in her Cali days, so she pretty much demanded it.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”