Red Sushi - Eat There Right Now

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: Red Sushi - Eat There Right Now

Postby swoon_queen » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:52 am

jjoyce wrote:Diaper D: You should be reviewing restaurants frequently.
<== Amen.

Reading this thread yesterday prompted me to return to Red a third time for lunch. Actually, I grabbed a copy of Isthmus and found myself reading Kadushin's review while indulging in some of Red's fantastic maki offerings (they serve their extensive specialty maki dinner menu at lunch as well). I wish his review had mentioned the service, which, to me, stands out as some of the best in town. The lunch specials include both the standard 2 rolls for X amount/3 rolls for X amount as well as some really good stirfry options. The sashimi I had was fresh, a large portion accompanied with a bouquet of blanched asparagus. I used to go to Takara once a week to treat myself to a sushi lunch- I'm slowly shifting alliances.

NullDevice is right- I cannot fathom how Kadushin considers Wasabi top in town for sushi. Granted, I'm a self-professed sushi snob, but I've given every place in town at least 3-4 chances, and Wasabi has never impressed me. The new sushi offerings at Restaurant Muramoto are killer, and even if I've had a couple so so experiences at Sushi Muramoto, every single time I've been there it's blown Wasabi out of the water. And has he been to Takumi? Even if he's had middling experiences at the Muramoto joints or something, even if Takara can't rise above Wasabi, Takumi most certainly can.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Competitor of a sort

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:58 am

Ducatista wrote:
kulgar wrote:Round chop sticks which is a sign of a Chinese sushi bar. Japanese chopsticks are square and easier to use, especially for amateurs like me.

Haven't really paid attention in American restaurants, but that hasn't been my experience in China and Japan. The opposite, in fact.

Wikipedia agrees with you, D.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 am

NullDevice wrote:I think a lot of the madison sushi problem stems from the fact that we're not really that close to a major fish market, so fish quality probably tends to vary depending how close we are to a delivery day. I don't know the logistics, but I can imagine that even the top-price bracket places aren't getting fresh uni flown in every day.

I dislike this argument, and I constantly hear it.

"Well, we're in the midwest..." So what? There's this thing called jet transportation. Growing up in Chicago, the occasional indulgence at NoMI set my bar for sushi - they had a seafood buyer in Tokyo. The fish you had for dinner that night had been bought at a seafood market halfway around the world earlier that day. Sure, you paid for that quality - but enough people did that it wasn't an issue. (And before anyone chimes in - yes, I'm not sure that's as great an idea as it once was, post-earthquake and whatnot.)

The point remains the same though - geography simply doesn't matter in the least. Price is the only factor. We aren't geographically disadvantaged, we're just hurt because Madisonians won't vote for quality with their wallets.

I generally avoid sushi in this town as a result. When a request for off-menu specials is met with a blank stare, I realize that I don't need to darken that businesses doorstep again.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Petro wrote:The point remains the same though - geography simply doesn't matter in the least. Price is the only factor. We aren't geographically disadvantaged, we're just hurt because Madisonians won't vote for quality with their wallets.

I dislike this argument, and I constantly hear it from local foodies upset that Madison "won't support" their favorite niche cuisine. There simply isn't the critical mass of wealth in this town to support lots of high-end restaurants. The expectation of Chicago variety is unreasonable; frankly, it's amazing we have what we have.

(For the same argument in a different context, replace "foodies" with "the arts community" and "niche cuisine" with "Overture.")

As for Red Sushi, I tried it and liked it enough to add it to the downtown workday lunch list, but I wouldn't make a special trip there.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:I dislike this argument, and I constantly hear it from local foodies upset that Madison "won't support" their favorite niche cuisine. There simply isn't the critical mass of wealth in this town to support lots of high-end restaurants. The expectation of Chicago variety is unreasonable; frankly, it's amazing we have what we have.

You're absolutely right. I still think that my point is valid, but it'd be easier to accept if I hadn't delivered it with so much pointless snark. I must've been cranky this morning or something.

kulgar
Forum Addict

TBP is quoting Wikipedia as an authority??

Postby kulgar » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Have you ever Googled "corproation"? I actually had someone ask me if it was a new form of corporate entity. There's so much crap out on the Internet, and I'm not just referring to Santorum's butt. Try finding the DMV office that moved out of Westgate a year ago, it's still prominently listed on top of searches as being in Westgate.

Wikipedia is not an authority to be trusted implicently. My years in Japan and many, many trips to China do not make me a complete authority BUT any restaurant in Madison that is "Japanese" and has round chopsticks is owned by ethnic Chinese. Do the research.

I generally like Kadushin's reviews and his continual touting of the rice at Wasabi makes me want to go back, but I quit going when they had trouble with the rice for a long period and were serving that CO2 treated tuna that had been out of the ocean longer than most kimchee is in the ground. Bright red, the mealy consistency of aged roadkill.

I also quit going to Takumi when the tuna was tougher than a pair of old tennis shoes.

For an editor to quote Wikipedia.....for shame.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 am

I'm not an editor, but for you, kulgar, I'll give it a shot.

"Implicitly".

I also didn't quote anything, nor cite anything as an authority. But here's a fairly exhaustive view of chopstick shapes from across Asia.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2009/02/13 ... hopsticks/

Generally, Japanese chopsticks are frequently round from end to end, while Chinese chopsticks are generally square. Of course, you're free to believe whatever you want. Unlike you, I'm not a chopstick authority.

kulgar
Forum Addict

Square the round

Postby kulgar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:11 pm

I'll freely admit that I've become lazy using basic keyboarding software that signals in red that I've made a spelling mistake. I trust those systems implicitly.

Another mistake was confusing you with an editor I'd met online, two mistakes.

But I won't admit to a third. Go to Wasabi and the Muramoto restaurants and the chopsticks are square. Go to the other umpteen Chinese owned "Japanese" restaurants in town and they are round. You're quoting an Hawaiian authority on Asia? That's like saying Paisan's is an authority on Italian cuisine.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:10 am

Let me be clear, kulgar. I'm not quoting anyone, nor citing anyone as an authority. An editor would tell you to use the words that mean what you want them to mean. I haven't offered any quotations, nor have I imbued any of the sites I've linked to with any sort of authority. They are supporting references.

If a restaurant serves Japanese food, it's a Japanese restaurant to me. Talking the way you do about the ethnicity of the owner, and putting Japanese in quotation marks, is the first step down a very distasteful road. I won't follow.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 am

I go to Takara all the time. It's better than a much-hyped sushi joint in the West Village some friends eagerly brought us to a few years ago. Even they admitted their unassuming neighborhood joint was better, which it was. About the same as Takara.

Madison is lucky in its sushi choices, particularly for a city of this size located in the middle of the country.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:02 pm

round v square chopsticks and ethnicity of sushi shop owners

This is the dumbest argument I've ever been interested in.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:15 pm

It's only a sampling of two of the best restaurants in the world (too lazy to look up more), but both Aroniza de Takazawa in Japan and Bo Innovation in Hong Kong use square chopsticks.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:44 pm

I like the round ones better.

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Is it acceptable to eat sushi in U.S. restaurants with your fingers?

Do you eat larger rolls in one bite?

Mostly, I'm a Takumi fella.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:Is it acceptable to eat sushi in U.S. restaurants with your fingers?

Do you eat larger rolls in one bite?

Mostly, I'm a Takumi fella.

Yes, it's acceptable. Fairly common even in the US.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”