Geese are the new rodents

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Geese are the new rodents

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Madison to kill up to 350 Canada geese
Critics say officials embellished the public health threat of goose poop

The city Parks Department is moving ahead with plans to round up and kill Canada geese in four city parks and along the Wingra Creek shoreline, Isthmus has learned.

Parks Superintendent Kevin Briski didn't respond to numerous inquiries about the plan, but a reliable source confirms that the "roundup" -- as the mass kill is euphemistically called -- will likely occur when the geese are molting and unable to fly, making them easier to net.

The kill permit allows for euthanizing up to 350 of the geese.

OMG! Someone get Rick Bogle on the phone!

Seriously, no one would care if these were roving packs of rats or raccoons. Yet the reaction to geese is far different. Why? What is it about shitting birds that causes Madisonians to leap to their defense in such a visceral way?

Forum God/Goddess

Re: Geese are the new rodents

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Their babies are so cute? They post guardians at the edges of their flocks to keep watch so everyone else can sleep in peace? They fly in a V, and like to migrate during the full moon? They mate for life and can live to be 35?

Geese are just appealing with their obvious intelligence and social organization. They're what naturalists call a charismatic species, which piques people's curiosity and inspires interest and protectiveness.

I'm not sure why raccoons fell out of favor, with their clever little hands and perky masks. Bad public relations, I guess.

Me, I kinda like possums.

Forum God/Goddess

Re: Geese are the new rodents

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:53 pm

I hate 'em because they shit all over golf courses. I wish I had my camera the other day, when a whole flock of them were hanging out next to a fake wolf. Exercise in futility, that.

Return to “Town Vibe”