If you're blocking the second lane of traffic...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: If you're blocking the second lane of traffic...

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:17 pm

When I hit the brakes my eyes automatically go to the mirror to gauge how hard I can hit them. I don't know why or how I learned this but it happens involuntarily. For all I know everybody does that.

On what was probably my first turn behind the wheel with my dad, he told me to always keep an eye on the rearview mirror. Being a dumb kid I took him literally and tried to actually split my vision to always be looking both ahead and behind. Gave me a headache. Also on that first trip I came so close to a parked car while passing an oncoming car that my normally mellow, undemonstrative dad let out a startling yell.

While we're at it, I haven't had a ticket or traffic infraction (knock on wood) in at least 15 years. There should be top-notch super cheap liability insurance for people like me. Take it away for any moving violation, fine, but now I'm just a cash cow for those bloodsuckers.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:48 pm

narcoleptish wrote:On what was probably my first turn behind the wheel with my dad, he told me to always keep an eye on the rearview mirror. Being a dumb kid I took him literally and tried to actually split my vision to always be looking both ahead and behind.
I was taught to always keep a buffer zone of safety in case the seemingly impossible happened. Failing that, always have an escape route. A physical one, I mean. Not someone you could talk to after the fact.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 am

fennel wrote:I was taught to always keep a buffer zone of safety in case the seemingly impossible happened. Failing that, always have an escape route. A physical one, I mean.

Sounds like a few of us had dads who were good driving teachers!

I remember my dad teaching me about the escape route thing by taking me for practice on quiet country roads. He'd have me drive off the road and then get back on again safely. If you never felt your wheels go off the pavement, it really helps to try it before it's a dire emergency. He had me practice a lot of other stuff too, including driving on ice. It's served me very well.

I don't know who's teaching kids to drive now, but I hope it's not the cell phone moms. And I wonder what will be the effect on traffic when we start seeing more and more electric micro-cars (like that little Smart). For economic reasons I am sure this is coming, and only the craziest will bomb around in those little things like they were SUVs. Are driving behaviors going to adapt, or will it be Darwinian?

Return to “Town Vibe”