Jackie Greene at the Majestic

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Jackie Greene at the Majestic

Postby jman111 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:21 pm

So, I'm contemplating catching this show tonight. I haven't seen him since he played the second stage at The Madison Blues Festival (2003, I think).
Back then, he was billed as a blues up-and-comer (think KWS or Jonny Lang). Now, he reminds me more of Tom Petty or Dylan.

Has anyone here seen him lately? What kind of show does he put on these days? I hate to sound cheap...but will I regret dropping 17 bucks for this? Anyone going tonight?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Jackie Greene at the Majestic

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:47 pm

My wife and I have seen him three times in Madison--at the Barrymore and twice at the Memorial Terrace. She got an arm-in-arm picture with him at the latter show at the Terrace; they both blinked in the first shot, so he stuck around and encouraged our friend to retake it.

That last appearance was July 2009, if I recall correctly. Good stuff. We'll be there tonight, too. I'm hopeful he'll work some good working-man stuff into his set.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Hmmm. Now that you mention it, I think I did catch part of one of his sets on the terrace. Fuzzy memories- must have been a fun night.

Thanks for the info (and for knockin' that memory loose). I'll probably check it out.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 pm

If you end up going tonight, please consider getting there early (9p?) to check out opening act Baghdad Scuba Review. We'll be debuting a brand new original song inspired by and dedicated to the protestors.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:43 am

eriedasch wrote:If you end up going tonight, please consider getting there early (9p?) to check out opening act Baghdad Scuba Review. We'll be debuting a brand new original song inspired by and dedicated to the protestors.

I did, and I enjoyed your set. Sobriety prevented full appreciation of your "jam-band" style, but you guys seem to be a fine group of musicians.
Decent show by Jackie, as well. It was good to hear he hasn't completely abandoned the blues. I should give some of his newer albums a chance.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 pm

jman111 wrote: you guys seem to be a fine group of musicians.

I'll second that. BSR's thing is not really my thing (never liked the Dead or Phish), but the set was performed quite well.

Loved Jackie's set. Obviously, all of his tunes are generally pretty satisfying for me, but for him to close out the set the way he did--starting with the little quote from "Lowrider" as he was fidgeting with his pedal array down on his knees, covering The Beatles (and Sublime, for the jam-banders in attendance)--pretty well nailed it for me. "Tomorrow Never Knows" is my absolute #1 Beatles tune, and marrying it to "Taxman" was just about perfect for the mood of the town right now.

The delicate acoustic performance of "Sweet Somewhere Bound" to close the encore, with his left hand clearly aching while working the plucky chords after a big, strummy set, was an emotional wallop.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks jman and Bookie. Means a lot coming from people a bit outside of our target audience.

I didn't plan on staying for the entire show, but was there until the very end due to a fantastic performance by Jackie and his band.

Return to “General Music”