Admiral Thomas H. Moorer, (ret)
1912 - Feb 5, 2004
Betrayal behind Israeli
attack on U.S. ship
By ADM. THOMAS MOORER
Moorer was chairman of the joint chiefs of staff from 1970 to 1974
After State Department officials and historians assembled in Washington, D.C., last week to discuss the 1967 war in the Middle East, I am compelled to speak out about one of U.S. history's most shocking cover-ups. On June 8, 1967, Israel attacked our proud naval ship -- the USS Liberty --killing 34 American servicemen and wounding 172. Those men were then betrayed and left to die by our own government. After an exhaustive review of previous reports, naval and other military records, including eyewitness testimony from survivors, we recently presented our findings on Capitol Hill. They include:
* Israeli reconnaissance aircraft closely studied the Liberty during an eight-hour period prior to the attack, one flying within 200 feet of the ship.
* Weather reports confirm the day was clear with unlimited visibility.
* The Liberty was a clearly marked American ship in international waters, flying an American flag and carrying large U.S. Navy hull letters and numbers on its bow.
Despite claims by Israeli intelligence that they confused the Liberty with a small Egyptian transport, the Liberty was conspicuously different from any vessel in the Egyptian navy. It was the most sophisticated intelligence ship in the world in 1967.With its massive radio antennae, including a large satellite dish, it looked like a large lobster and was one of the most easily identifiable ships afloat.
* Israel attempted to prevent the Liberty's radio operators from sending a call for help by jamming American emergency radio channels.
* Israeli torpedo boats machine-gunned lifeboats at close range that had been lowered to rescue the most seriously wounded. TOP
As a result, our commission concluded that:
* There is compelling evidence that Israel's attack was a deliberate attempt to destroy an American ship and kill her entire crew.
* In attacking the USS Liberty, Israel committed acts of murder against U.S. servicemen and an act of war against the United States.
* The White House knowingly covered up the facts of this attack from the American people.
Why do you suppose our Government covered up Israel's attack?