What's your poison?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What's your poison?

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 am

I do love fresh local beer. Geary's is great stuff. Lately I've been digging the Capital Rice here in Madison.

Sipping tequila is fun, but I don't do it enough to comment too much. Since I've lived in Madison I've had flights once at the place on Willy. Pretty good.

Forgot to mention my fave winter drink is Guinness and a shot of Jameson (but Black Bush is amazing as well-and I'll drink it if they have it).

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Year 'round, I like my wine red and my beer dark.

I've been enjoying porter a lot lately. Central Waters' Mud Puppy is our "everyday" beer at home, though I've been bringing home six-packs of Edmund Fitzgerald a little more often lately.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Big fan of the Great Lakes mix 12 pack at Woodman's.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:42 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Big fan of the Great Lakes mix 12 pack at Woodman's.

Does that include the Grassroots Ale? I tried that at the Malt House a while back and was really impressed - very refreshing.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:45 pm

No it includes the Dortmunder Gold, Burning River IPA, Eddy Fitz, and Eliot Ness Amber. The Grassroots is excellent, just buy a whole 12-pack! What a great summer beer.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Beer - My tastes tend to run on the IPA/APA side of things. I have a real soft spot for the still-relatively new "Torpedo" from Sierra Nevada and Hopslam ale from Bells. (I prefer my beer to be on the strong side, as for the most part, since I seem to lack a basic burping instinct, I can't guzzle.) I also totally love Fatty Boombalatty from Furthermore when I need a break from the mouth hurt of hops. (Capitol's Belgian White is also quite good - does anyone know if they're releasing that again this year?)

Wine - It's all about malbec for me. It suits my old man mouth just dandy.

Bars - a true gentleman drinks rail-vodka gimlets when carousing on the town.

Vodka - when not drinking whatever they'll give me in bars, I've developed a strong preference for Tito's handmade vodka.

Mix - I'm a big fan of the Complicated Russian (which is like a bind russian, but a bit more complicated). Also I'm really working out a newfound love of bitters and have been experimenting w/ various "old fashioned" style recipes at home w/ grapefruit bitters and now orange bitters. For the warm nights at home, whiskey and ginger beer taste very, very good.

Tequila - I'm pretty ignorant, though I hear I'm getting some "really good stuff for free" tomorrow so maybe I'll get wise to it soon.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:33 pm

Not a wine drinker, not a "neat" drinker. So bear that in mind.

Definitely an ale guy vs. a lager guy. I've gotten into hoppiness much more in the last few years than I ever was a decade ago (ugh) when I started drinking beer. Kiss the Lips IPA on-tap was a pretty impressive experience, but I could drink Oscura with every meal of the day.

Simple cocktails are my mixed drinks of choice: tequila and tonic has somewhat usurped the gin and tonic. Like White Russians in the winter. Gonna have a Dark and Stormy as one of our signature drinks at the wedding. Not a big martini guy, but I like 'em dirty if and when I partake. Simplicity aside, a Bloody Mary dragged through the garden is the ultimate meal in a glass, other than Guinness of course.

I love buying booze because the complexity and artistry fascinates me. But like books, this results in a lot of bottles sitting on the shelf (I'm looking at YOU, Absolut New Orleans black pepper and mango vodka).

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 am

Ale Asylum Hopalicious. Most strong IPA's. Belgians, Ale Asylum's and also love St. Bernardus Abt 12, and Westmalle Tripel.

Tend to favor red wines, in particular malbecs and some rioja's, but I am not particularly fussy and don't buy high-priced wines.

I like Appleton VX rum with practically anything, and for sipping I am fond of Jameson's.

babelfish

Postby babelfish » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 pm

whisky
jameson
bushmills
makers
jim beam
seagrams vo

gin
plymouth
hendricks
bombay saphirre

vodka
ketel one
belvedere

beer
see "tasty beer" thread

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Magners Irish Cider. Jenifer St Market. Haven't looked for it elsewhere. If you're in Ireland though, it's Bulmer's. I hardly drink anything else any more. My wife says beer makes me thrash around in my sleep.

But if I'm in the area, Crop Circle Wheat from the Dane is a very close second.

Return to “Beer, wine & cocktails”