Regulating Street Artists

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Should street artists be regulated?

Yes
12%
No
64%
Only the orange guy
24%

Total votes: 25

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Regulating Street Artists

Postby Jazznews » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:16 pm

The city is talking about regulating street artists - charging them $50/year or $10/day to perform on the streets. Ald Verveer is in favor of this.

I think it's a bad idea, especially with the bad economy. Students are out there trying to raise tuition because there isn't as much financial aid. People who've lost jobs are out there trying to raise money for food and/or rent. The last thing they need is to have to pay for the privilege of performing out there.

I remember when San Francisco began regulating street artists. It really discouraged people and restricted the places they could be. I think street artists make Madison a better place. And it's not like they're making $$thousands (or $$millions like those who pushed the Iraq War did - ala Blackwater and Halliburton).

Verveer: Is it time to regulate Madison's street performers?

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Regulating Street Artists

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 pm

I voted no, with one caveat...
The only one I would like to see regulated is the spray paint guy. That stuff is noxious. I see parents let their little kids sit right down in the vapor cloud and watch him til he's finished, breathing all that poison in. The artist himself has a respirator on, so why is it ok for him to make us all choke on his paint fumes?

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:30 pm

so, charge artist for playing music on the street. but let bums ask for it for free (as long as they are on the other side of the light poles)..

would artists be exempt if they too were on the other side of the lights?

if they do this, im gonna leave my guitar at home and just panhandle. people will enjoy that more.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:50 pm

benfury wrote:so, charge artist for playing music on the street. but let bums ask for it for free (as long as they are on the other side of the light poles)..

would artists be exempt if they too were on the other side of the lights?

if they do this, im gonna leave my guitar at home and just panhandle. people will enjoy that more.

You'll get some smartass Foron offering you half a sandwich - this person will then have an anecdote they will use to justify their strong panhandler opinions for the next 30 years.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:55 pm

I think it's a bad idea, especially with the bad economy. Students are out there trying to raise tuition because there isn't as much financial aid.

Really? Students are paying tuition with their street performance money? Really? Why don't they get a part time job or strip instead?

Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:19 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
I think it's a bad idea, especially with the bad economy. Students are out there trying to raise tuition because there isn't as much financial aid.

Really? Students are paying tuition with their street performance money? Really? Why don't they get a part time job or strip instead?

There are no jobs, or not many.

When I went to the Farmer's Market on Saturday there was a guy on State St. dressed in a red t-shirt and red pants and with his face and arms painter red, who was doing the "Robot." He had a sign that said "I need to raise $750 for UW tuition" posted above a box. He was okay, as far as performances go. My daughter thought he should have been silver instead of red. But most people didn't seem to notice him. I suppose by the end of the summer maybe he'll have the money.

Some people I know have kids who have been playing their instruments during the Farmers Markets since they were in grade school. The parents keep an eye on them of course - or did when they were little. They do it to raise money for college.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Guerrilla Advertising! I've thought of doing something outrageous like that, but I'd have to be pretty hard-up. I enjoy being semi-anonymous.

So I guess that gospel singer, will have to fork out some of his bills and coins.

I'm wondering if this is another sneaky way to gentrify downtown? How many places can you push street people around?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:48 pm

How many places can you push street people around?

My guess would be all up and down the street.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:12 pm

rrnate wrote:You'll get some smartass Foron offering you half a sandwich - this person will then have an anecdote they will use to justify their strong panhandler opinions for the next 30 years.

I'm never giving you handouts ever again because you will only spend it on ties.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Big deal. So instead of painting streets, just start doing still lifes or portraits. Problem solved. Silly people.

makmadison
Forum Addict

Postby makmadison » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:49 pm

Geez, come on, by next spring, these people will have "real" jobs, so this will not be a problem. Let's just put up with the increased number of street performers for a while, like a year or two.

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 am

Bwis53 wrote:I'm wondering if this is another sneaky way to gentrify downtown?

I'm wondering why you think downtown hasn't been gentrified for a long time.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:14 pm

benfury wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I'm wondering if this is another sneaky way to gentrify downtown?

I'm wondering why you think downtown hasn't been gentrified for a long time.

Oh, it can get much, much worse.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:03 pm

rrnate wrote:Oh, it can get much, much worse.

Like turning the Pub into a fern bar with a foo foo name.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:45 pm

So what's the main goal driving this proposed ordinance? More money for the city? Not likely to be much. To thin out the performance herd at the Farmers Market? I'm sure it would have that effect, but also would substantially reduce street performances everywhere else-- not a good thing, IMO.

Or is it, as the madison.com article mentions, to address the cries of inequality from vendors that have to pay for their booths? I can sort of see this, although the difference seems to be in selling a physical item at a set price, like a melon, versus a song for a tip. Then again, if the performer is selling CD's...

I have a hunch, however, that the main thrust is this little point:
The ordinance may also specify when and where musicians can perform, how loud their music can be and how far apart they should be from each other.

I have the sneaking suspicion much of this is being driven by complaints against Orange Guy and JoAnne.

So Walter, what is the overall MPD feeling on this one? Do you guys really want to have to enforce this?

Return to “Headlines”