Milk

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Milk

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:53 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Elfman is the shit as a film composer.

Not until I heard it on accordion did I fully appreciate the strangeness and complexity of the Danny Elfman-composed "Simpsons" theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTY-fwb1dvA

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:42 pm

My friend made the cut as an extra in at least 3 scenes of Milk.

Emile Hirsch has been wonderful in everything I've seen him so far. Loved Lords of Dogtown. Thought he captured the non-conformist attitude of iconic skater Jay Adams perfectly. Also, his scheming Johnny Trulove character was pretty loathsome in Alpha Dog.

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 am

Went yesterday. Must say it definitely met my expectations. Penn gave a totally Oscar-worthy performance; supporting actors all very good. Van Sant did an excellent job of evoking the look and feel of the 70's. Mesmerizing script (you could have heard a pin drop throughout the movie in a pretty packed theatre). Highly emotional ending (yeah, I had tears running down).

My only "very small" quibbles:
1) Having been right in the midst of it all while it was happening, I most assuredly know that there were many more women (both straight and gay) involved in Harvey's campaigns other than Anne Kronenberg. Was kind of curious that VanSant did not show this.

2) Cleve Jones (whom I knew kind of well) was a very different kind of person than Emile Hirsch played him...much more aggressive, forthright and masculine.

There were a few other very tiny details that may have been a little off, but certainly nothing significant. All in all, a totally excellent production.

Was pleased and surprised at the audience (which, for some reason, I had assumed would be largely gay). The place was packed with older (presumably straight) couples, young straight couples, quite a number of older women and what looked to be a large number of youngish UW-types (both male and female). I would say, at least at the showing I went to, only about 1/4 of the crowd appeared to be gay. I consider this a positive; this movie is too good to be a "niche" movie and needs to be widely shown and seen by as many people as possible.

Kenyatta

Postby Kenyatta » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:35 pm

I just saw "Milk" yesterday (had to wait until it was affordable, i.e., at Market Square). It was a wonderful movie. The interspersing of real news footage with the movie footage really drove home the reality of what happened. And Sean Penn is always amazing, but I think this is his finest role.

I liked the scene with Cleve Jones on the phone to notify people. At first I thought of the opening of The Brady Bunch, but in Milk it expanded to show dozens of people being contacted. It really drove home how Harvey Milk connected with so many people and built a movement. And that was even more evident in the very moving scene at the end with the thousands in the streets holding candles.

Harvey Milk was an amazing person. But he would be disappointed at the passing of proposition 8 and all the anti-gay amendments in the country. No, he would be outraged, as we all should be.

If anyone would like to join the fight against discrimination against gays, lesbians and bis, try joining Fair Wisconsin. They can keep you updated on what's going on.

"My name is Harvey Milk and I'm here to recruit you"

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:58 pm

I enjoyed the film. The best overlapping phone call scene in film history is in Volume 2 of R. Kelly's "Trapped in the Closet." IMO.

Return to “Movies”