Let The Hi-Def Format War Begin! (Blu-ray Disc vs. HD-DVD)

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:31 am

Sony announced that the PS3 will be Blu Ray 2.0 Profile compliant with the next major upgrade. This just furthers my position that the PS3 is the only decent blu-ray player for the price.

Just to keep this current for any potential suckers thinking of buying a stand-alone player:

Slick Willy wrote:
TAsunder wrote:None of those players (except the PS3) are worth half that price, IMO. The PS3 is the only blu-ray player that is a reasonable value. It has quick boot times, and has a wealth of non-blu-ray features. $400 is simply too much to pay for a marginal improvement over the cheaper players, which themselves are too expensive.

Do you know what the boot times are on those other three players I mentioned or what any of their features are? Have you used any of them?

The Sony, Samsung, and Sharp Blu-Ray players have painfully slow boot up times and are not even Profile 1.1 compliant. The time before you can actually watch a disk is at least 2 minutes from my experience. My brother purchased the Sony and I convinced him to take it back after he turned it on and then died of old age waiting it to be ready to play. Apparently any "java" enabled disc is significantly worse with them, but we didn't have one to test.

We went back, spent about an hour playing with the other $400 players and they were all highly deficient compared to the PS3.

The PS3 on the other hand was ready in under a minute, and even throwing aside the games available for it, it is a fully featured media center and will very soon be the only Blu-Ray 2.0 profile player that doesn't require a mortgage.

The Panasonic was good, but it was $100 more than the PS3, out of stock, and did not have any of the multimedia features of the PS3.

I agree that the PS3 may offer the most bang for your buck, but you seem to be forgetting that DVD players started out at around $1000 just like Blu-ray players and went down in price at the same rate that Blu-ray players have been. Granted, the difference in quality between DVD and VHS is bigger than the difference between DVD and Blue-ray. When you go from a 4.7GB single layer DVD to a 25GB single layer Blu-ray disc, though, that's a pretty big difference in storage capacity.

Newer technologies start out expensive and aren't usually worth the price for the average consumer, but they eventually go down in price, and soon everybody has one. That's the name of the game, and I don't have to tell you that. If you're not ready to buy yet, then join most people for now, but I don't think that means the price of Blu-ray players are way out of whack, relatively speaking.

The entire point I'm making here is that stand-alone blu-ray players are a complete rip-off at this time, and only a complete moron would pay $400 for a blu-ray player that's SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE than the playstation 3 for the same price. If you want a blu-ray player for under $500, get a PS3 or wait. Those are the only two reasonable options. Don't be a dipshit who buys a blu ray 1.0 profile player that takes 3 minutes to boot when you could have gotten a PS3 for the SAME PRICE and had a 2.0 player that takes < 1 minute to play a movie, can play great video games, and servers as a media center.

I don't care how much DVD players used to cost, or laserdisc. I'm talking about blu-ray players as they currently exist. Unless you want to spend over $500 on a player, get a PS3 or nothing. Anything else marks you as a grade A sucker.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:47 am

Wow!

My HD-DVD player is ready in about 30 seconds, and it only cost $225!!!

Guess you all got fucked.

Thanks to all who selected Blu-Ray for setting the HD DVD market back 3 years, with the cheapest players back at $400, crappy load times, and players that are JUST NOW becoming internet-enabled (HD-DVD's version of BD-Live has been out for almost a year already).

You dumb cunts.

(not that I'm bitter or anything...)

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:53 am

A lot of what you're saying is true, TAsunder. It's worded harshly, but I guess sometimes you need to go to the extreme in order for people to start listening. I don't feel quite as strongly about it as you do, but I agree. The PS3 is easily one of the best players (faster, more upgradeable in general, upgradeable to BD-Live, etc.), so it's a good choice, but there are still pros and cons to each. Recommending the PS3 is good advice, especially at this point. Sooner or later, though, the stand-alones will eliminate the issues of long boot times, taking longer to load discs, etc.

The big difference you'll see between PS3 and something like the BD30 from Panasonic is the audio codecs supported. Currently the PS3 doesn't support any form of DTS-HD MA, but it may in the future. Another thing is that some people don't want to buy new receivers that support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA from HDMI, and instead they want a player that decodes it internally and passes it on via analog. Also, the newer Panasonic models are almost up to par with PS3 in load times. For under $500, the BD30 is a really solid player and Panasonic has been good with firmware updates. So, you can still get a stand-alone player - just get a new model.

Fan noise also seems to vary from PS3 to PS3, but it doesn't usually bother most people.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:46 am

Beer Moon wrote:Wow!

My HD-DVD player is ready in about 30 seconds, and it only cost $225!!!

Is that the A3? I have the A2 and it's a bit slow, but nothing like the Sony Blu-Ray player my brother had. Mine cost $86.

I also like the Panasonic player. Maybe the second best player for the money (but it's a huge gap in value compared to the Ps3). It's going to be a while before you can get a decent player for a decent price. Even if they drop down to under $200, that's likely going to be the 1.0 profile players at first.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:23 pm

I have the HD-A2. I think I purchased it back in November - in any case, I've been using it for months and honestly it's great.

In fact, I've already looked into players that are currently available, but I recently updated my receiver, and I chose not to get a receiver that can decode DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD, so my new HD player will need to handle both of those for me. I only looked because Circuit City is offering to put the entire purchase price of an HD-DVD player purchased there before some specific date (Feb of 08 I think) toward the purchase of any Blu-Ray player.

Currently, none of the reasonably priced models do that including the PS3, and Sony has never announced anything about supporting DTS-MA - ever.

Even though the PS3 plays games and I'm a gamer - I have already invested in the 360 and I'm more than satisfied with that choice. There is no way you can convince me to pay $400 for a DVD player. $200 is really my limit, and I only went for the $225 because it included 5 movies.

At Circuit City, the Samsung BD-P1400 is the only player I would consider today, but there is no way I'll pay $400 for a BD 1.0 player (no internet content or java), because it's hardly Blu-Ray without all the features of the format!!!

Luckily, HD-DVDs are cheap now (and there are more than 300 of them) and I can VERY easily hang on with little more invested for a year or two until Blu-Ray player manufacturers get real with pricing and features. Plus, it upscales my DVDs VERY well. I was actually surprised by how well it works for that. Of course, I wasn't expecting much...

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:39 pm

Another option for some people might be to get an internal blu-ray drive for the computer. The Pioneer BDC-2202B5PK tends to float between $150 and $200 on various sites. Outpost had it for $160 recently.

I'm not sure of all the ins and outs of going that route, but I believe the biggest obstacles would be dealing with HDCP compliance (certain playback software ignores this, I believe) and getting high quality audio from your machine to your receiver.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:51 pm

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html
Well now that Batman Begins came out on Blu-Ray in July, and Transformers is set for a September 2nd release (and others like The Thing and The Ultimate Matrix Collection in Sept/Oct) on Blu-Ray - are there any remaining titles which are available on HD-DVD which have not yet come to Blu-Ray?

Here's a few older titles on my list which are available on HD-DVD and may not make priority release on Blu-Ray.
Midnight Run
Field Of Dreams
Caddyshack
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
An American Werewolf In London (release date pending)
The Breakfast Club
The Last Starfighter

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Oh yes, and lest we not forget Mr. Bean's Holiday (available on HD-DVD but not Blu-Ray)!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Let The Hi-Def Format War Begin! (Blu-ray Disc vs. HD-DVD)

Postby MadMind » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:19 pm

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:41 pm

C) Almost three months old. Since nothing more has apparently been said about it, I'd guess irrelevant.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:42 pm

Here's a few older titles on my list which are available on HD-DVD and may not make priority release on Blu-Ray.

MadMind I can't tell you which of these will make to Blu Ray and which will not but I can tell you what is on the way for HD-DVD. Nothing. I personally was rooting for HD DVD and hopefully an Audio format to go right along with it (Work in the same player) but now I have a PS3. Honestly even on our 50" 1080P screen Upscaled DVD looks almost as good.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 pm

I just wish the PS3 got a more sgnificant price drop. yes, there is a lot of value in such a powerful box, but games wise isn't better than the 360 or the wii, and the introductory price is double what the 360's is.

Really wanted a bluray / ps3 for xmas, but it came down to either paying half for myself or shopping for everybody else on my list.

I just look at that $400 list price and think how I could buy 6 or 7 360 games or buy a couple dozen standard def movies. I love HD, have had an HD set for 5 years now, still shocked that as the screens get more affordable, content and players do not.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:16 pm

I got my PS3 for $250 because I had a sony credit card I'd not yet used and there was a $150 statement credit. I think they just started up the deal again. I doubt you'd get as much value out of it since you own an Xbox 360, but I don't so it was a no brainer for me.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 pm

I'd get a ton of use for it, theres more than enough PS3 games to keep me satisified. its just the cost exceeds the value.

I've never paid more than 300 for a console or video player. I appreciate its far less than other Blu-ray players, and far less than it was when the machine was new, but its still more than I'd be willing to pay for a set top box of any kind, at least in my current financial situation. I have more expendable income than most people I know, so I don't know who else could still be buying these things...

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm

This season has seen $150-175 blu ray players, so even at $250 the PS3 is not the cheapest Blu-ray player.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”