DTV - What are you doing?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

What are you doing for DTV?

I'm all set with cable/satelite
75%
I'm getting a converter
25%
I don't own a TV
No votes

Total votes: 16

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DTV - What are you doing?

Postby blunt » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm

There is a HUGE bunch of responses to this in the Town Vibe section.
Why there and not here? Who knows.
This is why we can't have nice things!

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:06 pm

So I finally got around to buying a outlet splitter and plugging in my converter box last night, and it doesn't seem to work that well. I've got a ton of snow and static coming across, but the signal meter indicates there is 80-90%. I bought one of the DTVpal converters from the Direct TV outlet.

I double-checked all the connections but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm thinking it may have something to do with my rabbit-ears. The strange thing is that when I go with the analog pass-through the signal comes through just as well as before (some static, improves with adjusting the antenna). Anyone else experience anything similar?

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:37 pm

There should be no snow. It is digital.
It's either ON or it's OFF.
Which is my trouble. With analog snow at least the sound comes through and maybe a wobbly picture, and I lose no part of the actual show.
Digital is either ON or OFF ("No signal. Try later.")

This is not rocket surgery.
You simply unplug your rabbit ears from the TV and plug them into the converter box. Then plug the converter box into your TV.
You have simply placed the box between the ears and the TV.
Voila.
Snow should be non existent. You don't get snow on DishTV or cable.
You get pixel chaos.

So if you're getting fuzz or snow, something isn't right.
If the screen is blank, or says No Signal, or has a frozen still of Oprah, or has funny little colored squares all over like a hippies coffee table, you're getting digital.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:06 am

The digital signal is definitely coming through, since I can flip through all the digital channels and the program guide is accurate. The converter box that I have (DTV Pal has a strength of signal meter and this always is in the 80-95% range. I'm most certainly not getting any type of pixelation error or the like - it's straight up old school static & snow. I've done the rocket surgery and checked and rechecked my connections, and I'm not techno-phobic and I generally understand this kind a thing. But I'm stumped as to why there would be analog snow coming through my digital converter box.

The weird thing is that when I go to analog pass-through the analog signal comes through as clear as before (which still requires adjusting the rabbit-ears to perfect the picture). This seems to indicate that the connections are fine but there's something wrong with either my antenna or my converter box. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar, since I'm not holding out hope my emails to tech support will be answered in any sort of timely fashion.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:59 am

How are you passing the connection to your TV? If you are for some reason using an old coaxial cable connection, it could be a problem there. It seems really weird that you would have snow instead of pixelation and audio drop outs, which are the traditional symptom of signal quality problems.

To the person who asked about CBS - for some reason CBS is rather sensitive to antenna position along with the CW. I can have just about any position for Fox, NBC, ABC, and PBS. If you continue to have problems only with CBS, you might consider an amplified antenna.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:08 pm

I think wallrock's got a bum converter box. Or maybe just a really cheap one

I paid $40 at the Best Buy store brand converter that we hooked up directly to the vcr line in and then to the TV. Footville is 35 miles from the beltline and we pick up 3(CBS), 3.1(MyTV), 13 (Rockford NBC) 13.1(Rockford CW), 27(ABC), and 57(CW) all with a Phillips powered rabbit ears ($4.95-Goodwill) that sits on top of the TV. We don't even have to re-aim it for the Rockford stations.

No PBS yet but I emailed them and their tech guy says their transmitters aren't as powerful as the commercial stations and we will get them with a rooftop antenna. Fox 47 hasn't responded to e-mails for some reason.

All in all a well spent 40 bucks.

Return to “TV”