repeat customer

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:09 am

since we moved to schenks corners area i have been eating a lot of TEX TUBB's and ROMAN CANDLE.

tex's prices just went up though across the board. so i dont know how much i will be eating there now.

naybobber

Postby naybobber » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:28 am

Re: the complaint about Risings Son's rice, I think you can ask for sticky rice upgrade. I thought I read that somewhere - I don't get dishes with rice. I love their Pho and the noodle dishes.

Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:25 am

Argus has a nice looking menu, but I had a really disappointing meal there. I can't remember what I or my friend ordered, but nothing was as the menu said it would be. My sandwich was missing a key ingredient and was over-sauced (like I should have been), and my friend couldn't finish her sandwich. This was at around 2pm, no one was there, and the server/owner was reeeeeally busy watching tv. I'd give them a second chance, but why when there are so many other good places to eat nearby?

I was going to give it a full write up immediately after I digested the meal, but that old saying ran through my head: if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. But now I think I ought to warn you.

Sophia Kitty
Forum Addict

Postby Sophia Kitty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:24 pm

When I'm jonesing for a turkey club, I head over to Nick's. When I'm jonesing some delivery, I usually call Burrito Drive or Hong Kong Cafe. Pizza is almost always Roman Candle.

Parintachin

Postby Parintachin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:58 pm

We're still working out our regular places. There are still so many places in town that I'm curious about that settling down to a few routine places is still a ways off.

I'd still love to find a go-to breakfast/brunch/lunch/diner place. We used to hit up Schreiner's in FDL but there isn't anyplace like that here.

It takes a lot for me to be a repeat customer, but sometimes you just want that reliable, non-threatening place when you don't feel like anything exotic or fancy.
Last edited by Parintachin on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:31 am

I've been a Mug Club member at JT Whitney's for a few years now and the allure of half-price beer tends to bring my friend and I in on Thursdays. For me it is the type of generally reliable place where the food is decent but not really exceptional. We're there for the beer first, after all. I am a bit disappointed in the new menu though, as a couple of my go-to sandwiches have been dropped.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:39 am

As I was mentioning in another [Tex Tubb's related] thread, Roman Candle is probably where we end up the most. There's really no wrong time for Roman Candle. My parents are in town with their little one: Roman Candle. Just me, the bf, and the little one: Roman Candle. Cheap satisfying lunch (with free wifi!): Roman Candle. Inexpensive date night-- yeah, often Roman Candle. It's really too bad they don't serve breakfast there....

the other place I tend to go back to repeatedly is Old Fashioned,which is another great place for entertaining Madison visitors.

And for lunch, Mediterranean Cafe is hands down my favorite.

Parintachin

Postby Parintachin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:21 pm

wallrock wrote:I've been a Mug Club member at JT Whitney's for a few years now and the allure of half-price beer tends to bring my friend and I in on Thursdays. For me it is the type of generally reliable place where the food is decent but not really exceptional. We're there for the beer first, after all. I am a bit disappointed in the new menu though, as a couple of my go-to sandwiches have been dropped.

I'm a mug club guy at JT Whitney's to. I do like their food and you are right, it's not really exceptional. It just seems to me that they are trying to be like a chain restaurant and it's just such the wrong direction for them. They really are the dark horse/underdog local brewhouse. Out in the boonies, away from downtown... and I do like a lot of their beer but they need to stop trying to be the Dane and do their own thing. They need to pair down their menu a little bit, remove some of the fluff. They've got some funny and inspired stuff on there. Scotch eggs, Brats and Uglies and the bar food/bar snacks part is good but some of the stuff like the jerk chicken, the citrus jalepeno tarter sauce and the grilled chicken marsala is getting a little silly.

Parintachin

Postby Parintachin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:40 pm

wallrock wrote:I've been a Mug Club member at JT Whitney's for a few years now and the allure of half-price beer tends to bring my friend and I in on Thursdays. For me it is the type of generally reliable place where the food is decent but not really exceptional. We're there for the beer first, after all. I am a bit disappointed in the new menu though, as a couple of my go-to sandwiches have been dropped.

I'm a mug club guy at JT Whitney's to. I do like their food and you are right, it's not really exceptional. It just seems to me that they are trying to be like a chain restaurant and it's just such the wrong direction for them. They really are the dark horse/underdog local brewhouse. Out in the boonies, away from downtown... and I do like a lot of their beer but they need to stop trying to be the Dane and do their own thing. They need to pair down their menu a little bit, remove some of the fluff. They've got some funny and inspired stuff on there. Scotch eggs, Brats and Uglies and the bar food/bar snacks part is good but some of the stuff like the jerk chicken, the citrus jalepeno tarter sauce and the grilled chicken marsala is getting a little silly.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:23 am

JT Whitney's recently dropped most, if not all, of their vegetarian items. I won't be going back.

I have, however, become enamored of Curry in the Box. It's a bit of a trek for me to get there, but I've been going about once every couple of weeks.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”