Will Dave Blaska Man Up to his False Accusations?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Not students, tavern owners.

Let's see... they want lower taxes, fewer regulations and more cops to crack down on panhandlers. Which side of the aisle do you suppose they sit?

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:48 am

Sorry not to have joined in the fun, but life has been busy.

As much as it pains me personally, I reviewed some of Dave Blaska’s recent columns to bring truth and light to TheDailyPage. I thought my days of debunking Dave Blaska’s specious claims passed with my County Board service. Alas, public duty calls again….

Dave says:
"Former politico Andy Olsen"
Ouch. Way to hurt a guy.

In Dave’s weak defense, he omits this statement in another column:
“Does not the possible involvement of a transient/vagrant in the murders of Joel Marino and Brittany Sue Zimmermann complicate apprehension?â€Â

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 am

Will he man up?

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:35 am

Also, Dave Blaska asks to whom he should apologize and for what? Asked and answered:

Apologize to the Marino and Zimmerman families for using their tragedies to score cheap political points.

Apologize to the homeless and the public for irresponsibly and prematurely casting blame for murders.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:15 am

I gotta wonder where Andy was when those posts were originally written. I mean, it's kind of easy to come in and defend the transient population once the cops have a (non-transient) guy in custody.

Is he really taking Blaska to task for trying to score political points? Isn't that as much of Andy's life's work as Blaska's?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:30 am

jjoyce wrote:I gotta wonder where Andy was when those posts were originally written. I mean, it's kind of easy to come in and defend the transient population once the cops have a (non-transient) guy in custody.

Is he really taking Blaska to task for trying to score political points? Isn't that as much of Andy's life's work as Blaska's?

That's fair criticism, but one could say that Andy was exercising restraint while the situation was unfolding, while Blaska was speculating wildly and casting aspersions at a very large group of people.

Now that there are facts in place, Andy is calling Blaska to account for his erroneous speculation. Blaska doesn't appear to understand the issue.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:33 am

Bingo

Andy Olsen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Andy Olsen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:23 am

jjoyce wrote:I gotta wonder where Andy was when those posts were originally written. I mean, it's kind of easy to come in and defend the transient population once the cops have a (non-transient) guy in custody.

Stunning, Joyce. Between me and Blaska on this thing you find fault with me for withholding judgment, which Blaska rushed to, while the tragedies unfolded? Not one word of criticism from you for Blaska?

Look, I don't make a habit of hanging on Dave Blaska's words. I've got a life, often busy and I've listened to hours now of Dave Blaska's rants while on the CB. Had enough, thanks.

If you're finding fault for my not having raised this issue earlier, you're raising a point with zero merit. Are you really saying people there's a time limit on criticizing bloggers? Did you invent that (dumb) rule just now for your pal Blaska or have you used it elsewhere?

And, your attacking Blaska's critic(s) has the side effect of creating a diversion from the fact that Dave Blaska acted irresponsibly by scapegoating the homeless for murders. Let's get back on topic, shall we?

I guess Jason Joyce is fine with people running around casting (apparently) false accusations. For people criticizing those actions, he has no patience. Says a lot.

(Have you also criticized Leuders to his face for making the same frigging point I did?)

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:I gotta wonder where my boss was when those posts were originally written. I mean, it's kind of easy to come in and defend the transient population once the cops have a (non-transient) guy in custody.

fixd

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Jumping in to defend the homeless population from Blaska's attacks doesn't have anything to do with restraint or waiting until the thing played out. If that's really what Andy wanted to do, then he's kind of playing fast and loose with the whole presumption of innocence idea, isn't he?

I didn't set the tone of this thread, Andy did. He used the term political opportunism. Well, if you know anything about Dane County, you know that both Blaska and Olsen would sooner swim in poopy Lake Monona than resist scoring a political hit on the other party. They're both politically motivated first and anything else comes next.

I remember a lot of people standing up to Blaska's posts about the downtown single male homeless population. He ended up being on the radio with a few of them. Brenda and her allies held a press conference and at least a few meetings/workshops. Downtown Madison chimed in with help from the mayor.

Where was Andy? Waiting to see if a non-transient was arrested in one of these incidents so he could pull a nyah-nyah act? And other than being anti-Blaska on this, I fail to see the public service component of this action. If there's no solution to a problem, then Andy's posts to this thread can accurately be called a political hit. Same as when Blaska blames downtown's transient problem on liberal ideology.

Wading into an argument with a veteran of the county board is like wrestling with a pig. Andy should know this and I know that Blaska does.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:46 pm

jjoyce wrote:Jumping in to defend the homeless population from Blaska's attacks doesn't have anything to do with restraint or waiting until the thing played out. If that's really what Andy wanted to do, then he's kind of playing fast and loose with the whole presumption of innocence idea, isn't he?

I didn't set the tone of this thread, Andy did. He used the term political opportunism. Well, if you know anything about Dane County, you know that both Blaska and Olsen would sooner swim in poopy Lake Monona than resist scoring a political hit on the other party. They're both politically motivated first and anything else comes next.

I remember a lot of people standing up to Blaska's posts about the downtown single male homeless population. He ended up being on the radio with a few of them. Brenda and her allies held a press conference and at least a few meetings/workshops. Downtown Madison chimed in with help from the mayor.

Where was Andy? Waiting to see if a non-transient was arrested in one of these incidents so he could pull a nyah-nyah act? And other than being anti-Blaska on this, I fail to see the public service component of this action. If there's no solution to a problem, then Andy's posts to this thread can accurately be called a political hit. Same as when Blaska blames downtown's transient problem on liberal ideology.

Wading into an argument with a veteran of the county board is like wrestling with a pig. Andy should know this and I know that Blaska does.

that's all fine and good, but somehow you always find yourself in the anti-blaska threads defending this hack.
it's embarrassing to see.

Wanda
Forum Addict

Postby Wanda » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:50 pm

jjoyce wrote:Jumping in to defend the homeless population from Blaska's attacks doesn't have anything to do with restraint or waiting until the thing played out.

How about questioning the wholesale scapegoating of a small disenfranchised group from being pegged as the sole source of all the urban ills of Madison?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:05 pm

I like Blaska. I don't agree with him a lot, but I enjoy reading his stuff as well as the stuff people post in the comments. He's not afraid to wade in and take stuff on and he answers his critics head on. And as a member of the vocal minority, he's been most successful in (rightfully) accusing the majority of taking itself too seriously.

Right or wrong, he's been singularly responsible for getting this community to talk about homelessness in the past several months. Where was Andy Olsen all that time? Certainly not giving Blaska hell on his posts or these boards... or anywhere else that I'm aware of. Certainly not sticking his neck out like Brenda Konkel, who stood up to Blaska at the start and used his posts to strengthen her advocacy work.

As far as I'm concerned, Andy waited until the deck was stacked in his favor and then didn't really bring the heat. One might argue that he piggy-backed on Bill Lueders' column from last week just to try and zing his longtime and, yes, former County Board nemesis. Borrrring!

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:08 pm

jjoyce wrote:I like Blaska. I don't agree with him a lot, but I enjoy reading his stuff as well as the stuff people post in the comments. He's not afraid to wade in and take stuff on and he answers his critics head on. And as a member of the vocal minority, he's been most successful in (rightfully) accusing the majority of taking itself too seriously.

Right or wrong, he's been singularly responsible for getting this community to talk about homelessness in the past several months. Where was Andy Olsen all that time? Certainly not giving Blaska hell on his posts or these boards... or anywhere else that I'm aware of. Certainly not sticking his neck out like Brenda Konkel, who stood up to Blaska at the start and used his posts to strengthen her advocacy work.

As far as I'm concerned, Andy waited until the deck was stacked in his favor and then didn't really bring the heat. One might argue that he piggy-backed on Bill Lueders' column from last week just to try and zing his longtime and, yes, former County Board nemesis. Borrrring!

so borrrring and weak tea that you felt the need to come to blaska's aid wearing your robin outfit with the satin cape.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:he answers his critics head on

Oh yeah? You sure you've been reading carefully? Making up some right-wing dramatis personae by which to ridicule me? That's a head-on answer?

Return to “Local Politics & Government”