Gotham's Eats are Damn Good

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:52 pm

i was there this morning at 7:45, which i thought would be a busy time for them. i've only ever been there on the weekends before. i was the only customer they had for the ten minutes it took for them to take my order and prepare my breakfast sandwiches. i thought that was strange. but they did have two soups on the menu, including a turkey matzoh ball which i would have loved to try out, but i wasn't thinking ahead for lunch.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:10 pm

I was there this morning too, and I think part of the problem today (at least in terms of order taking and preparation) is that there was an employee no-show. The guy that was running the whole operation this morning (I was there around 7:15) actually forgot to charge the woman who had been there before me. She left her money on the counter for him, bless her soul.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Don't know about this semester, but last semester a lot of the employees were absent due to being in cooking class, taught by Joe, the guy who runs it. It was often a dead zone in there.

heyduke

Postby heyduke » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:06 pm

Soft-shells are seasonal.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:09 pm

heyduke wrote:Soft-shells are seasonal.

Yeppers, they sure are. As were the clams they used for the Montauk. And the old menu indicated that (and you can still see it on their website in PDF form).

But now they're off the menu entirely. Subtle difference? Maybe.

heyduke

Postby heyduke » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:17 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
heyduke wrote:Soft-shells are seasonal.

Yeppers, they sure are. As were the clams they used for the Montauk. And the old menu indicated that (and you can still see it on their website in PDF form).

But now they're off the menu entirely. Subtle difference? Maybe.

Right. Like you, I'm hopeful that it's not a reflection of poor business. Great place. Welcome addition to Madison. And Joe is a great dude.

Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby Troy Thiel » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Wowsers, nice taste, good looking place, comfy (I could never understand why Jacobsons didn't have a counter at the window to sit at...silly)but...and it's a BIG BUT was that for the "heaping" amount of pastrami promised I was given very little..for $9.50 with no side dish (no, an irradiated over large tasteless pickle does not classify as a side dish...potato pancakes, slaw, chips sumthin..and for 9.50 I should get a drink too)...good bagels....measly serving continued for my lunch mate as well as MINUTE sized dessert...2 bites of Rugala for 1.50????? And timid coffee...dag, give me some girthy stuff!

The thing about a good deli is not only good tasting food...but GREAT Value...this ain't even close. Too bad, we need a really good deli around the square, this ain't it....they've still got a chance...I hope they reconfigure some of their pricing and actions, it could really rock...good luck improving!

p.s. Forgot to mention slowwwwwwwwwwwww service....nice enough but with no one else in line at 1240 (not a good sign)my sandwich shouldn't take 10 minutes.....

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:10 pm

I was last in there on a Saturday afternoon just after the farmers market and just before the badger game. The place was full but not exactly brimming. It was about 40% families eating out after the market and 60% coastie college students in groups of 4 or 5 getting what I'm guessing they miss about the East Coast.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 pm

My only issue so far is that the tuna salad is not really dense enough. The ratio of celery or salad to tuna is too high, resulting in a watery taste which doesn't make it for me. Some of you who are familiar with New York City's Greenwich Village area may remember a place on 6th Avenue which was called Bagel Buffet, which was a few blocks south of the Grey's Papaya on 14th. This was tuna salad.

Also, as a personal preference, I prefer that the server ask if I want the bagel to be cut in half.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:30 am

Troy Thiel wrote:Wowsers, nice taste, good looking place, comfy (I could never understand why Jacobsons didn't have a counter at the window to sit at...silly).....

They did, I sat there with my salad often.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:28 am

I always get a side with my pastrami sandwich. Maybe they forgot yours. It's a little cup of lentil salad or similar usually.

And though the size of the bread is not huge, the amount of pastrami is enough to give most grown men indigestion. It's about an inch thick.

Your sandwich took 10 minutes because they only made it once you ordered it. You can actually watch them do it if you pay attention.

If you want cheap food that is instantly delivered, stick to quiznos.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 am

I dunno what you people are talking about when you say good breakfast sandwiches. I got one from Gotham and it was drivel...AND overpriced. The bagel itself wasn't even good.

Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby Troy Thiel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:09 pm

TSA,

One Inch of Pastrami for $9.50? 10 Minutes to make a sandwich???

Clearly, you don't know what a good deli is.

Quiznos? Yuck!

Oh well, I need to eat less anyway.[/quote]

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:29 am

Please do tell about this mythical "good deli" in madison. I'm all ears. All the other delis are shit in comparison so far.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 am

TAsunder wrote:I always get a side with my pastrami sandwich. Maybe they forgot yours. It's a little cup of lentil salad or similar usually.

And though the size of the bread is not huge, the amount of pastrami is enough to give most grown men indigestion. It's about an inch thick.

Your sandwich took 10 minutes because they only made it once you ordered it. You can actually watch them do it if you pay attention.

If you want cheap food that is instantly delivered, stick to quiznos.

Enough to give most grown men indigestion? Are you a pygmy? Tasty sandwich, but I could put two of those down without blinking and I'm a skinny guy.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”