The Bamboo Hut @ Beltline/Midvale

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
cubanat
Forum Addict

The Bamboo Hut @ Beltline/Midvale

Postby cubanat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:29 pm

This placed rocked our socks off for lunch. Spring rolls were better than decent with the addition of strips of ham & shrimp to the usual contents but the lack of any peanuts or spice to the ramekin of hoisin was a bit of a let down. HOWEVER, a new app that should be a staple at other Thai/Lao/et.al. places was the Steamed cabbage rolls. Stuffed with nooodles, green onion, pork & cilantro. Frickin' fantastic & served with a "vinegary" chili "water." The "for lunch only" bbq pork bahn mi was superb although it was missing the normal schmear of pork liver spread--it was tasty as could be with fresh veggies, fatty pork chunks, kim chee on a warm toasted french sun loaf that was crusty on the outside and perfectly soaked on the inside. The entrees were tasty but after the first 2 courses we were stuffed and not that impressed...they ran out of sticky rice so I had my sliced pork chop plate with the white jasmine rice. If I ate this plate alone it would have been more sucessful but being full it wasn't a "wow"--it was just ok. HOWEVER the stuffed chicken wings were the bomb. They were not fried or heavy as we were expecting--just stuffed with a filling similar to the cabbage rolls after being semi-deboned and then roasted till goilden brown...again frickin fantastic. They use lots of diced mango to top the iceberg salads that come on the side of the entree plates and they have cute Asian beer six-pack holders that contain a great variety of bottled sauces: cock brand fish sauce, low sodium soy sauce, srirach & hoisin. They also serve the addicting shrimp toast crackers that resemble pastel colored styrofoam. All in all another great eats place for the city. They should get a better sauce to serve with the salads than the typical duck/sweet-n-sour sauce. Some service slips but who cares. They were friendly and eager & mostly effecient. That's all I want when I 'm getting a decent banh mi for $3.

All of the above plus a coke for $30. We had leftovers as well.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:12 pm

Did you notice whether or not they had vegetarian options?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:20 pm

whoa, they got shrimp chips? can you get em to go on their own?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:37 pm

depinmad wrote:whoa, they got shrimp chips?

Some of my best childhood memories are of my dad (raised in Indonesia) making shrimp chips on the stovetop, and dumping them out onto the brown paper to cool. This, of course, only happened on a percentage of the chips as I'd usually steal some before they were "done."

Bamboo Hut has therefore piqued my curiosity.

ADDED: another strong review.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:01 pm

They have veggie options on the spring rolls, papaya salad if fermented seafood is left off, tofu noodle salad, basil fried noodles, stir frys of all sorts, currys & salads of all sorts...

I'm assuming that you can buy the shrimp chips to go or you could just hit up Yue Wah on Park St...

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:03 pm

i don't wanna cook em i just wanna eat em.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:36 am

OMG they have bahn mi? I am so there.

cute hat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cute hat » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:42 am

Bamboo Hut is a great little place. I recommend the laab. It's made with finely chopped beef or chicken seasoned with cilantro, scallion, hot pepper and lime juice, served cold on lettuce. It's eaten by hand using pieces of lettuce to pick it up. Washed down with a cold beer, it's great hot weather food.

gemini child

Postby gemini child » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:31 am

I ate there last night and was not impressed. Saigon Noodles has much better spring and egg rolls. I found the stuff chicken wings to be a disappointment as well. My partner's chicken green curry dish was sub par. He could have had a better dish at Sa Bai Thong for the price he paid. I wouldn't recommend this place at all.

Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:39 am

Finally got over to the Bamboo Hut yesterday.

I'm still searching for good pho, but was disappointed again. There was nothing wrong with this pho, it was just very bland and made with plain old beef broth. There was no chili oil at the table to spice it up a little.

However, the egg rolls were some of the best I have ever had. Seriously. And based on the egg rolls, I will be back to try the other things on the menu - including the wings that cubanat referred to. The menu is small but looks very interesting, the service was great, and the ingrediants were quality.

I was going to ask if they had a menu I could take with me, but didn't see any obviously laying out and didn't want to be a bother.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:26 pm

They had 6 different hot sauces on the table the last time I was in there. Some chili sesame oil would be nice though...

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:45 pm

I've now been there once. It's servicable. Not great, but not awful either. The pho was pretty standard (I like Saigon's better), the egg rolls were tasty, the spring rolls were average, but the prices were good. So overall it's not bad. Not great, but not bad. Certainly a decent addition to that area's restaurant list.

I need to get over there for lunch and see if it fares better with bahn mi.

punkarchivist

Postby punkarchivist » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:45 am

I adore the Bamboo Hut. I've never had a bad experience there, and I've gone there maybe a dozen times since it opened.

I usually get the pineapple curry with chicken or tofu. Sounds like a simple dish, but a pineapple curry can turn into a sweet mess in the wrong hands. Theirs is a tad sweet, but pretty spicy, with just a wonderful red curry flavor. I lay in bed at night getting a serious jones for this dish. The curries are heavenly with the black sticky rice. Why don't more places have black sticky rice anyways? It's chewier, tastier, and way more substantial than plain white (or even the sticky white rice that some places have).

My better half loves to get the ginger sausage--raves about it. I'm not a sausage fan myself, but it is very, very tasty. The fish curry is awesome. The regular pho was great the one time we tried it. The spring rolls are awesome! A friend of mine loves the mango pork. We haven't tried any of the desserts, and I haven't ever made it over for the lunch specials either.

The last time we were there the owner was there. He came up and started making conversation with us. A really nice guy. I kind of worry about the place because I have NEVER once seen it busy. We're usually the only occupied table when we go, although there have been a few times when there's 1 or 2 other tables of customers there. I really want them to succeed. It's not the best location, so this kind of worries me. I guess I'll just have to keep going in every week or so.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:14 pm

The Bamboo Hut is no longer. Washed under by the tide of Madison taquerias (this one will be affiliated with the Guanajuato mercado next door).

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:31 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:The Bamboo Hut is no longer. Washed under by the tide of Madison taquerias (this one will be affiliated with the Guanajuato mercado next door).

I was wondering what happened - I saw a couple of guys doing some work on the outside of the building (last week maybe?) and was hoping it was just a facelift. *sigh* Guess I'll have to get my summer roll fix elsewhere.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”