Best Lunch Deal Ever Part 4!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Best Lunch Deal Ever Part 4!

Postby cubanat » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Summary: every Tuesday & Thursday at noon you can get the BEST value (yes, value!) for a multi-course lunch at the Truax campus of MATC.

To begin with, this meal was spectacular. Was it Thomas Keller or Charlie Trotter spectacular--no, but for $15 for 6 courses(including an amuse bouche & an intermezzo) & prepared by students--it was a beautiful thing! Here are a few ingredients they used: lobster, monkfish, ox-tail, short-ribs, asparagus, 2 wonderful sorbets--one asparagus and the other was made with burgundy...just check out the menu:

http://matcmadison.edu/gourmet/menu.htm

Obviously this program/menu can be hit or miss. The students circulate through all different positions of the restaurant, so our server next week will be cooking, etc. But for $15 I'm willing to take the risk. One more thing is that they don't take credit cards--cash only and reservations are a must. I might even go back before the menu changes, that's how impressed I was with not only the food but the service as well (and the ambience was cute/warm to).
Today's experience was a home-run. If any MATC culinary arts students or teachers are reading this, congrats for a job well done!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:20 pm

Six courses for lunch... did you have any room for dinner, or could you doggy bag the leftovers?

I've also heard good things about MATC's culinary program. I knew they had an evening meal every week or so, but never heard about the lunch before.

cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cubanat » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:38 pm

The portions are not large (not tiny though), my friends were full, I am a large eater and I was happy but could have eaten more! They also have a special benefit dinner/reception coming up that sounds nice but I'll be away. $50 for food and drinks...there's a website about it if you google...

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”