Classic arcade exhibit at The Wi State Historical Museum

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.
droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Classic arcade exhibit at The Wi State Historical Museum

Postby droidsattack » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:05 pm

This is going to be a really cool event coming up soon, and I just wanted to give a heads up to the folks who may be interested. I'm dusting off (and fixing up) about 25 of my favorite classic arcade machines to feature in an exhibit at the Wisconsin State Historical Society!

My classic arcade (Aftershock Retrogames) has been closed for a couple of years now and my plans to reopen keep getting pushed back, so to have the opportunity to make these games available to the public again couldn't make me happier. Not only that, but the chance to have my machines featured in a museum setting adds a great legitimacy to my preservational efforts over the last ten years or so. I've put as much effort as I could afford into this over the years, and I've come to recognize it to be my life's work. Naturally I consider this to be a great honor.

At the exhibit there will be everyone's typical favorite classics, but I will also be showcasing a few lesser known games that have more historical significance. Games that were never on location at my old shop, and probably haven't accepted any quarters commercially for the last couple of decades.

My hope is to make the event educational for those who want to learn, so there will be some background information available for all the machines there, and perhaps some that aren't. There has even been some talk about me making some sort of presentation, but I'm not sure if that is still happening or what because the museum staff has sort of taken the whole thing and run with it themselves. They even went ahead and named the exhibit "The Joy of Sticks" (*shudder*) without consulting me. I really do not like that name, but whatever. They're having fun with it. Every now and then they'll call me with questions, and it sounds like they're putting together some kind of high score competition with prizes to be donated by a local video game shop. I'll announce more later on that when the information becomes more available, but for now here's the skinny:

The Joy of Sticks (*gag*) Retro Arcade Week
Friday, March 9th through Sunday March 18th
The Wisconsin State Historical Museum
30 N. Carrol St. (On the capitol square)

Oh yeah, another cool thing. All proceeds from this event will be donated to The Wisconsin State Historical Society! Hooray!

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:20 pm

Does pinball qualify? D'ya got Hercules? Hercules kicks ass.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Classic arcade exhibit at The Wi State Historical Museum

Postby jhain » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Congratulations and thanks for the heads-up.

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:50 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Does pinball qualify? D'ya got Hercules? Hercules kicks ass.

Really? Man that game is slow. Big though.

Sorry, but no pinball at this exhibit. Vids only.

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:38 pm

Will we be able to play all of the games?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:39 pm

Very very cool. :D
What are the mysterious rare games?

"The Joy of Sticks" was gonna be our upcoming album title. Oh well, they laid claim to it first. We'll have to go to our backup title, "George Bush is an A-hole". Too subtle? Will people know that the 'A' stands for 'Ass'?

JMH

Postby JMH » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:54 pm

Man, I miss real arcades. That one in the East Towne mall (if it's even still there) has never cut it for me. Too many driving games, not enough stand-ups. Are there any decent arcades in the area? Hell, the state?

Can't wait to see this show up and running. Good luck!

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:33 pm

droidsattack wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Does pinball qualify? D'ya got Hercules? Hercules kicks ass.

Really? Man that game is slow. Big though.

Sorry, but no pinball at this exhibit. Vids only.

you bringin' out Death Race ?

:twisted:

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:40 pm

supaunknown wrote:Very very cool. :D
What are the mysterious rare games?

"The Joy of Sticks" was gonna be our upcoming album title. Oh well, they laid claim to it first. We'll have to go to our backup title, "George Bush is an A-hole". Too subtle? Will people know that the 'A' stands for 'Ass'?

They might think the "A" stands for "Alca"

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:17 pm

Yeah, Death Race is big on the priority list. First game to ever cause a controversy on violence, and I have one of only a small number known to exist. There are a few more that I'm trying to get in there, but I'm not 100% that they'll make the cut. Maybe the elusive Joust 2?

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:24 pm

droidsattack wrote:Yeah, Death Race is big on the priority list. First game to ever cause a controversy on violence, and I have one of only a small number known to exist. There are a few more that I'm trying to get in there, but I'm not 100% that they'll make the cut. Maybe the elusive Joust 2?

way too fuckin cool. just to see DR again will be a trip.

will they be rigged for coin op or free play?

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 am

Coin op. All proceeds go to benefit The State Historical Society.

I have just been confirmed to make a presentation, so now I am a little nervous.

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:05 pm

droidsattack wrote:Coin op. All proceeds go to benefit The State Historical Society.

I have just been confirmed to make a presentation, so now I am a little nervous.

when's the presentation?

so I can come and throw quarters...

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:02 pm

I think it's on Saturday the 10th at 1:00pm. I don't know how long or how good it will be, but I'll figure something out.

If you could whip at least $5 worth in my direction that would be worth it.

Scott
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scott » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:45 pm

I'm bringin' the kids! My brother and I used to pop into retrogames once a week or so.

Do you know Jim Shird? He would love this.

Thanks for letting us know, you understand your core audience. And it's even better that it's benefiting the Hysterical Museum.

Return to “Hype Exchange”