After 3 games, we can see the following about the Packers:
1. They have abssolutely no ground game. Some have pointed to the rookies on the Oline, but I think it has more to do with the new cut blocking scheme. The mistakes being made out there are not just being committed my the rookies or Wells, but also by Tauscher and Clifton. I think they just don't know their assignments yet, or how to execute them. If they can pick this up by mideseason, they might yet have a decent year. If not. . . .
2. Pass blocking has gotten better every game. Part of that has to do with the opponent, but the Lions have a decent Dline, and they didn't manage to get to Favre. The rookies did pretty well in this regard.
3. Favre has been just fine. Excellent, even, last week. Each week he seems to be making fewer stupid throws. Last year I thought that Sherman let Favre get away with too much; he failed to ride herd on him, and Favre's game suffered as a result. I'm not at practice, but it sure does look as if McCarthy is gving Favre the Holmgren treatment. Or maybe its Tom Clements. Either way, so far so good for Brett.
4. Ahman Green can still play. Unfortunately, William Henderson is reaching the end. He's not getting to his blocks as quickly, and he's not taking guys out as he used to. That's really hurt the running game too.
5. The defensive line is weak at the point of attack, and cannot generate any consistent pass rush. Some have touted the play of Aaron Kampman, but I haven't seen him to be any better than anyone else.
6. A.J. Hawk is a football player. He's gotten better every week, and is gonna be a stud. Brady Poppinga is not. He hasn't improved one iota, yet for some reason the coaches are determined to keep him in the lineup. I suspect he's one of those high motor guys who looks great in practice, but he always takes himself out of position in the game. He's not just weak against the pass; he's also weak at the point of attack against the run. At least he's making Nick Barnett look good.
7. I was wondering why the secondary has looked so crappy this season. I know that Charles Woodson is getting on in years, but he's never looked this bad before. Marquand Manuel has also looked better in the past. We know Ahmad Carroll is gonna suck, but even the reliable Al Harris and up and coming Nick Collins seem to have regressed this year. And then I remembered- didn't we get rid of Kurt Shottenheimer for a reason? Why exactly is he back?
I still think this team can be 8-8 or thereabouts. But to do it, they're going to have to put some points on the board. There are a number of really bad teams out there (unfortunately, the Raiders aren't on the schedule), and even some of the good teams aren't as good as they have been.