Atlas Barfed

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Atlas Barfed

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:05 am

Will Atlas Shrugged - Part I be the worst movie of 2011?

Could be ...

Ayn Rand's monumental 1,168-page, 1957 novel gets the low-budget, no-talent treatment and sits there flapping on screen like a bludgeoned seal. [...]

Sitting through this picture is like watching early rehearsals of a stage play that's clearly doomed. [...]

Don't hold your breath for parts 2 and 3.

Currently at 6% on the Rotten Tomatoes tomato-meter.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Atlas Barfed

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:22 am

Ah, but will it include Rastafarian werewolves?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 pm

It'll include a Rastafarian werewolf giving a 40-minute long speech on the moral, psychological, and economic virtues of Objectivism.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Does it make a difference to fiscal conservatives that Rand dies while receiving both Medicare and Social Security or to social conservatives that she hated Christianity? It does make sense I suppose in some way that conservatism encompasses both groups. They both refer to works of fiction to define their ideology.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:15 pm

I saw the trailer a few weeks back. I don't think criticism of the source material even matters ... this movie looks TERRIBLE based solely on the ridiculous acting.

That said, go see it with the mindset that it's a satire ... might make it quite enjoyable.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Does it make a difference to fiscal conservatives that Rand dies while receiving both Medicare and Social Security or to social conservatives that she hated Christianity? It does make sense I suppose in some way that conservatism encompasses both groups. They both refer to works of fiction to define their ideology.

Is anyone even sure that Rand-o-phile pols like Ron Johnson and Paul Ryan have actually read Atlas Shrugged or any other of her bloated works in the first place? Maybe Anthem, but the rest of her stuff is an arduous read even for the committed.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:45 pm

scratch wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Does it make a difference to fiscal conservatives that Rand dies while receiving both Medicare and Social Security or to social conservatives that she hated Christianity? It does make sense I suppose in some way that conservatism encompasses both groups. They both refer to works of fiction to define their ideology.

Is anyone even sure that Rand-o-phile pols like Ron Johnson and Paul Ryan have actually read Atlas Shrugged or any other of her bloated works in the first place? Maybe Anthem, but the rest of her stuff is an arduous read even for the committed.

I want to read those just to have read them and be able to speak authoritatively on them, but man am I dissuaded from the way people talk about their difficulty. Even fans admit they are dry dry dry.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:29 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
scratch wrote:

I want to read those just to have read them and be able to speak authoritatively on them, but man am I dissuaded from the way people talk about their difficulty. Even fans admit they are dry dry dry.

I would bet Ryan has read it (boy of privilege has the time and yearning to legitimize his privilege), but I would bet Ron Johnson was actually too busy makin' plastic. I think it only comes off as dry if you consider the main character making a 90 page speech dry.

And another thing, if one were really a rugged individualist, wouldn't they find a pirated torrent instead of going to the theater?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:54 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I want to read those just to have read them and be able to speak authoritatively on them, but man am I dissuaded from the way people talk about their difficulty. Even fans admit they are dry dry dry.

I forced myself to read all of Atlas Shrugged once. It's not "difficult" in the sense that, say, Finnegan's Wake is difficult. "Dry" also doesn't quite describe it, although "tedious" might. It has a strong romantic sensibility.

It's just about twenty times longer than it should be (literally -- no exaggeration).

Now, I like reading long books -- when there's a long-book's worth of material. In the case of Atlas, it's like you're being forced to wade through 1200 pages (think Jane Eyre plus Wuthering Heights plus Moby Dick), to get a story that could have been edited down to about 60 pages ... or less, actually.

As a bonus, you get a lot of self-congratulatory libertarianism mixed in with the romanticism, too.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:40 pm

acereraser wrote:I would bet Ryan has read it (boy of privilege has the time and yearning to legitimize his privilege), but I would bet Ron Johnson was actually too busy makin' plastic.

Johnson's as much of a Randroid as Ryan is. He managed to slip by a number of libertarian code words throughout the campaign.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:43 am

I've read Atlas Shrugged twice. Both times before I found out it was some kind of political statement. I looked at it as pure entertainment and as such was not taking it seriously. Nor do I remember much about it except that it was a struggle to get through it a second time because it was really boring in parts.

Science fiction writer and editor Brian Aldiss, in his history of the genre, the Billion Year Spree, says that good sci fi has three critical elements. A technological advance, an alien society and a good story. I had read AS once in the early seventies because a friend suggested it as sci fi and then again after reading Aldiss's history of the genre. Both times it was pretty good (if long) sci fi. But I never took it as some kind of serious political/social statement any more than I did Robert Heinlein's Starship Troupers, Ursula LeGuin's - Left Hand of Darkness or the hilariously funny Battlefield Earth for that matter.

Meanwhile, I saw a "Who is John Galt" bumper sticker on a late model pick-up a few weeks ago. Thinking that I now know the book is a political statement, I assumed it was a Tea Partier or a Walker supporter. Now I'm not so sure because I had no idea a movie was being made. It's probably under the radar promo. If Travolta's in it I might rent it.

Does Galt have a Facebook page?

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:17 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:Robert Heinlein's Starship Troupers, Ursula LeGuin's - Left Hand of Darkness or the hilariously funny Battlefield Earth for that matter

It's funny that you should mention those three titles. Heinlein was a far more talented libertarian than Rand ever was, and Troopers is probably his best anti-imperialist allegory. LeGuin's Hain series was unabashedly feminist. And I don't think Scientology scripture needs any discussion of its agenda or context.

How Rand's work managed to inspire a small but influential group of political leaders is really more a question of personal connections and history than anything else.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:It's funny that you should mention those three titles. Heinlein was a far more talented libertarian than Rand ever was, and Troopers is probably his best anti-imperialist allegory. LeGuin's Hain series was unabashedly feminist. And I don't think Scientology scripture needs any discussion of its agenda or context.

How Rand's work managed to inspire a small but influential group of political leaders is really more a question of personal connections and history than anything else.

Yep, you're making my point. I had no idea when I first read AS that it was a political/social statement. I was just slogging through it as a piece of sci-fi. Same with LeGuin and Heinlein but for the fact that those two are good writers. Were they inserting their philosophies into their work? Probably. I'm pretty sure all the science fiction I read as a kid had an effect on me. I think it's made me a fairly level headed thinker.

L.Ron? Wading through the Battlefield Earth book was a challenge in the beginning but it is really way more funny than the movie. The aliens are hilarious.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 am

Here's Ebert's review from the Chicago Sun-Times:

link

Pretty harsh review (one star). I did find this amusing:

Oh, and there is Wisconsin. Dagny and Hank ride blissfully in Taggart’s new high-speed train, and then Hank suggests they take a trip to Wisconsin, where the state’s policies caused the suppression of an engine that runs on the ozone in the air, or something (the film’s detailed explanation won’t clear this up). They decide to drive there. That’s when you’ll enjoy the beautiful landscape photography of the deserts of Wisconsin. My advice to the filmmakers: If you want to use a desert, why not just refer to Wisconsin as "New Mexico"?

So Fox News puts palm trees in Wisconsin, and the Atlas movie adds a desert. Climate change must be worse than I thought!

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:04 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ayn_rands_adult_onset_adolescence/2011/04/21/AFv2JyKE_story.html
Forget Sarah Palin & Michelle Bachman, learn about the real tea party queen.

“The Objectivist ethics, in essence,” said Rand, “hold that man exists for his own sake, that the pursuit of his own happiness is his highest moral purpose, that he must not sacrifice himself to others, nor sacrifice others to himself.” If Objectivism seems familiar, it is because most people know it under another name: adolescence.

Return to “Movies”