Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Avatar preview screening?

Postby rabble » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm

MadMind75 wrote:
rabble wrote:I haven't felt like that about a movie since the first Star Wars.

You stole that line from d-bag A.O. Scott from At The Movies.
That line is bunk no matter who it's coming from.

You are a poopy pants.
I'll drop my first reaction and instead point out a couple facts:

1. If you think A.O. Scott was the first one to say that, you have a little itsy bitsy problem with your own self-importance. Just because that's the first place you heard it doesn't mean that's where it started.

2. You just accused someone of lying about his own personal opinion in a movie review on an anonymous forum. Think about that a minute.

And I suppose I should admit I had already heard the phrase. In fact I heard it years ago about another movie that I can't remember now. I only remember I didn't feel that way about it. So for clarity's sake, to avoid comprehension and credibility problems with small-minded people, I should have said something like "And this time I really HADN'T felt that way about a movie since Star Wars." But that's all water under the embankment. Hope this year goes better for you than the last one.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Typically, I am neither a fan of Sci Fi nor of films with outrageous budgets that rely so heavily on special effects. Despite his gargantuan ego and ridiculous ambition to always be ahead of the film technology curve, I must hand it to James Cameron for almost always succeeding in making movies that inspire many jaw dropping "wow! did you see that!?!?" moments -

This is why the "I haven't like that about a movie since Star Wars" comment holds up regardless of who said it first - as corny as Avatar was, I must admit the visuals gave me shivers periodically throughout the entire 3 hours.
I actually commented after the movie that I wished Cameron had his hand in the making the Star Wars prequels.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Avatar the fastest film to make $1 billion at the box office
Hollywood blockbuster Avatar has surged to a box office haul of more than $US1 billion ($1.12 billion) globally, faster than any other movie in history, an industry tracker reports.

Weather on Pandora reported to be cloudy with 100 percent chance of sequels.

Doctress Julia

Postby Doctress Julia » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:21 pm

This crap doesn't hold a candle to the first three Star Wars movies. No fucking way.

I have three words:

White. Man's. Burden.

This movie SUCKED. In a really pretty 3-D way.

Or, maybe, this?: White. Guilt.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:09 pm

I'll let Kevin Smith speak for me on this one. Like Avatar, Star Wars was far from perfect.

Hooper: Now Vader, he's a spiritual brother, y'know, down with the Force and all that good shit. Then this cracker, Skywalker, gets his hands on a light saber, and the boy decides he's gonna run the fuckin' universe--gets a whole clan of whites together. And they go and bust up Vader's hood, the Death Star. Now what the fuck do you call that?

Banky: Intergalactic civil war?

Hooper: Gentrification!

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Doctress Julia wrote:This crap doesn't hold a candle to the first three Star Wars movies. No fucking way.

I have three words:

White. Man's. Burden.

This movie SUCKED. In a really pretty 3-D way.

Or, maybe, this?: White. Guilt.

You and quite a few conservative bloggers and pundits feel exactly the same way.

That's really interesting, isn't it?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:14 am

Yes, it's cowboys and Indians retold, but retold very well. The wow factor alone was worth the price of admission.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:40 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, it's cowboys and Indians retold, but retold very well. The wow factor alone was worth the price of admission.

I'm beginning to wonder, with our history of simplistic tales of evil empire, Dishonest John twirly mustachios foreclosing on Penelope Pureheart, Mr Smiths going to Washington, and all the other Little Guy Versus The System movies that were just as unbelievable, what has the conservatives sputtering and fuming about this one?

Not that it isn't fun to watch. It's easy to imagine them standing outside the theater railing at the crowds. "What's WRONG with you people? This movie sucks! Go home! Go see Sherlock Holmes! This one is BAD! It's really dumb! GET THE HELL OUT OF THAT LINE YOU MORONS!"

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, it's cowboys and Indians retold, but retold very well. The wow factor alone was worth the price of admission.

A friend of mine said it was like Dances with Wolves in outer space. I really did enjoy watching this film, but I hope the sequels have more original story lines.

NDN

Postby NDN » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Lily wrote:

A friend of mine said it was like Dances with Wolves in outer space. I really did enjoy watching this film, but I hope the sequels have more original story lines.

they did have the blue natives wooping like old western indians. it was like dances with wolves (horrible movie) with a twist of pocahontas, a splash of the matrix and a dousing of disney's atlantis. a lot of altlantis. how can a movies bursting with technical creativity avoid having one unique idea. i enjoyed the overall movie experience, did not like the story line. (3D - not imax)

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 pm

NDN wrote:how can a movies bursting with technical creativity avoid having one unique idea.

What unique idea did Star Wars have?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm

I saw it at the IMAX, and I was just floored. I had no idea that the state of the art had advanced so far. And I didn't have a problem with the plot. I really have a hard time understanding what people expect. After all, movies have been around for a long time. How many "unique" ideas do people think are left, anyway? I'm having a hard time thinking of the last time I saw a movie that really surprised me in terms of storyline. Stories may be a finite resource, even in science fiction.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 pm

gargantua wrote:Stories may be a finite resource, even in science fiction.

I've been a subscriber to Analog Science Fiction for quite a few years and it is indeed still possible to tell tales with fresh ideas. I don't know if the problem is that they don't translate well to the screen or if the industry is just scared to try new stuff.

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 pm

rabble wrote:
NDN wrote:how can a movies bursting with technical creativity avoid having one unique idea.

What unique idea did Star Wars have?

This isn't a unique idea, but it's still bursting.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:49 am

Why Do People Want to Have Sex with the 9-Foot Tall Natives in 'Avatar'?

Early designs for the Na'vi “were much more alien," according to Cameron, the creator and director of the movie. In the early drawings of Neytiri, the young female love interest, “she had fins on her back and gills and all kinds of weird protuberances and so on in odd places."

The beta testing went something like this: “We just kept asking ourselves—basically, the crude version is: 'Well, would you wanna do it?' And our all-male crew of artists would basically say, ‘Nope, take the gills out.' It was pretty simple.”

I think I'm abnormal because I walked away sympathetic to the Na'vi but sex with one hadn't occurred to me.

Now, of course, it has.

Return to “Movies”