Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:02 am

I found out about the Avatar 3D preview a little too late to get tickets. Is it playing here at Star tomorrow? I can't find a website that says which theaters are showing the preview and the official website only says that the tickets are all sold out. Anyway, if it is showing here and if anyone has an extra ticket, please let me know.

HeartandSoul

Re: Avatar preview screening?

Postby HeartandSoul » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Wow that's quite an early screening since it's not set to be released until December 19th.
I'd definitely be interested in hearing what people think of it.

Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am

The screening is only a 10 minute or so preview of the film. It's supposed to be the best way to get an idea of what the film is actually like since the 3D is supposed to be so good and so integral to the film that a regular 2D trailer isn't supposed to be very useful. It's probably all hype, but I'd still like to get my sneak peek at the 3D effects.

MadM2nd

Postby MadM2nd » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:56 pm

That's cool. Beowulf in IMAX 3D was easily the best 3D movie/3D experience to date for me, and will be looking forward to seeing Avatar. Now if we could only get that 3D Blu-Ray standard set and more LCD HDTV 3D compatible sets out there...

MadM2nd

Postby MadM2nd » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:41 am

As Beowulf was a big push for theaters to equip themselves with 3D screens, I think that along with the Blu-Ray release of Avatar you're going to see the same kind of push, but this time to bring the 3D cinematic experience into the home.

dawntomorn

Postby dawntomorn » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:06 am

Is the trailer for Avatar any good? I've seen posters but haven't seen any preview and at first I thought that James Cameron made the Avatar of Nickelodeon. I'll try to look for the trailer so I can decide if I'm going to watch the film or not.
El Paso Dentist | Waco Dental

Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:10 pm

From what I heard, the preview was disappointing. But there were such high expectations that a little reality can hurt. Oh well, I'm waiting for the movie. I'll see it anyway since I love IMAX 3D and complain later if it's bad.

There was an article in Newsweek a little while ago about home 3D. I'd love to do it, but there's no way I can afford a new tv, new bluray and new cables to hook it all together. Not to mention that it isn't even out yet. I was happy to find out that my own pair of 3D glasses would only cost $100 or so. I can put that on my xmas list :D

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:36 pm

Caught this last night in 3D at Star. Not IMAX that was sold out but honestly the Digital theater was probably better for the action sequences despite the smaller screen. It was pretty much exactly as I suspected. The 3D, CGI all beautiful. Best I've ever seen. The story felt a little preachy and I couldn't get the phrase "Dances With Smurfs" out of my head. Dialog and characters didn't evoke too much and really didn't have to. I'm sure to Mr. Cameron the message was important but to all the people in the theater last night this movie was about looks. And it looks like 300 Million Bucks.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:22 pm

I haven't seen a movie at Star Cinema since they were bought out by Kerasotes. They must've raised their ticket prices. I remember when I saw Bewolf in IMAX 3D it was $10, maybe $12 tops. I checked prices online and IMAX 3D films are $15 per adult!

Btw, 3D Blu-Ray specifications have been finalized, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same time next year it will be possible to watch Avatar in near-theater quality 3D right at home.
Cool thing is that it sounds like it won't matter what kind of set you're using (LCD, Plasma etc.), so you may not have to go out and purchase a new HDTV.
You will however need to purchase a 3D enabled Blu-Ray player, unless you own something like the PS3 which is capable of receiving firmware updates.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:27 pm

I shelled out the 34 dollars yesterday (15 each plus 4 bucks "convenience fee") to see it at the imax. Got the tickets about noon. The 7 PM show was sold out when we got there. The line was pretty long but when they finally started seating about 6:45(!) it went pretty fast. We were able to get fairly decent seats in the wide aisle. A little more to the side than I wanted, but not bad. (It was a pretty easy walk out too. Nice mellow crowd.)

The glasses took a few minutes to get used to but after a while I almost didn't notice them.

I was floored. I was stunned. I kept saying wow. I haven't felt like that about a movie since the first Star Wars. We were a little more than halfway back and many times the vegetation looked like it stopped one row in front of us. A few times it actually looked close enough to touch. It was really cool.

The plot was standard, it was a basic evil empire story just like Star Wars, but it didn't have any obvious holes. It played on stereotypes. That was fine. The actors pulled it off, in my own humble opinion. It was a decent enough story and the visuals were freaking fantastic.

I'll have to see it on a flat screen sometime to see if there were any differences, or whether I was just more impressed than others. Because I've spent a lot more money for a lot less fun than I had last night. :-)

Oh, and that cop chick from Lost! is hot.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:21 pm

4 dollars convenience fee? Did you order the tickets online?

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Okay, I went to see the first Avatar 3D showing at Point Cinema this noon, complete with the 3D glasses. The room was more than halfway full at noon but there was a line out the door for the next showing!! It looked like half the city of Madison was there waiting to see the film!! Very cool and exciting movie and the time zipped by far too quickly. Okay, it wasn't IMAX but the 3D effects had me jerking back they felt so real. All the high dives and flying dragons--and a wild assortment of alien planet life. Despite what I've read, I thought the characters were believable, funny, and heroic. The way the film ends I have a strong suspicion we're going to see a sequel. Can't wait!! I'll probably have to go see it again!

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:25 pm

MadMind75 wrote:4 dollars convenience fee? Did you order the tickets online?

Yup. I called that morning and was told there were about 150 tickets left but they'd sell out long before the 7 o'clock show and she gave me the URL. I had already stuck my head out the door far enough to know I'd rather pay four bucks than drive out there twice.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:48 pm

Lily wrote:Okay, it wasn't IMAX but the 3D effects had me jerking back they felt so real. All the high dives and flying dragons--and a wild assortment of alien planet life.

Ah. Okay, that sounds a lot like our experience. Now I have even more incentive to go see it on a flat screen 3D to see the difference.

Lily wrote:Despite what I've read, I thought the characters were believable, funny, and heroic. The way the film ends I have a strong suspicion we're going to see a sequel. Can't wait!! I'll probably have to go see it again!

We thought so too. I know it wasn't exactly "At Play in the Fields of the Lord" but it had much of the same feel (with a less depressing ending) and in my own humble opinion, when you're breaking ground technically your story isn't supposed to be of Hemingway caliber. It's just supposed to not suck.

Cameron has said he's got two sequels in mind. From the numbers so far, I'm thinking he'll get the go-ahead for the first one at least.

I like this quote:
The look of the Na'vi, the characters native to the world depicted in the film, was inspired by a dream that Cameron's mother had long before he wrote Avatar. She dreamt about a 12-foot-tall blue woman and he thought "that's kind of a cool image". So in 1976 or 1977, he put into his first screenplay a planet with a native population that was 12 feet tall and blue, and "gorgeous", which later became the basis for the Na'vi in Avatar.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm

rabble wrote:I haven't felt like that about a movie since the first Star Wars.

You stole that line from d-bag A.O. Scott from At The Movies.
That line is bunk no matter who it's coming from.

Return to “Movies”