Food Inc. as a Documentary

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby Exploding Pinto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:08 pm

First off, I have not seen Food Inc. yet.

Now then, this choice of words is interesting to me: “More of a harangue than a documentary.” I’m inferring from it that a documentary would be more successful if it is less bold with an argument. A documentary is more of a documentary if it documents both sides of an issue or event evenly. Michael Moore’s documentaries received the same criticism, as did Al Gore, and so forth.

There is no such thing as an entirely objective documentary. A documentary shouldn’t necessarily be thought of as weak or half-baked, if its primary objective is not to be objective. John Grierson’s definition of a documentary from the 1930s is still the best: “the creative treatment of reality.” We do ourselves a disservice by promoting the idea that the more objective a documentary film is, the better the film is. Sure, objectivism has its place in the documentary, but so does the opinion of the director, re-enactments, art, etc. Werner Herzog is every bit the auteur that Martin Scorsese is.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=26533

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3041
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 pm

I praise the work of Michael Moore in the review you mention: "Food, Inc. lacks Moore's precisely calibrated tone, his careful storytelling, his keen show instincts." Food, Inc.'s having a point of view is not what makes it a harangue. Heavy-handed lack of nuance? You're getting warmer.

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby Exploding Pinto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:47 pm

I bring up Moore because you praise him as the better documentarian, but others will say he does the same thing, in terms of haranguing, that Kenner does. My point is haranguing and the documentary coexist, and there doesn’t have to be an either/or relationship as the line from your piece would suggest.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4783
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 1:21 pm
Location: Near East Side, Madison
Contact:

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby TAsunder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:10 pm

I've seen Food Inc and it is a lot more objective than a Michael Moore film. But that's not saying much. It may not be as entertaining as a Moore film, but they didn't spend great effort to ambush dick clark in a van or anything moronic like that so it's expected to be more dry.

I really hated the stupid advice given at the end, but thought it was a lot more interesting and informative than most Moore films. I would have liked to see a bit more treatment of the counter-argument wherein 3 billion people starve to death if every farm were structured like small, local, organic farms.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8534
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:37 pm

TAsunder wrote:I would have liked to see a bit more treatment of the counter-argument wherein 3 billion people starve to death if every farm were structured like small, local, organic farms.

Well, that's kind of the dark conceit of that whole argument: that the earth is crawling with excess humanity that this planet wasn't designed to support.

I don't disagree, but I don't think food science should be foregone to keep people currently alive, alive--I just think more effort should go into sensible human breeding as well as sensible plant and animal breeding.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:59 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I don't disagree, but I don't think food science should be foregone to keep people currently alive, alive--I just think more effort should go into sensible human breeding as well as sensible plant and animal breeding.

That would help with the whole global warming pickle too.

But, such things must never be mentioned. Got it? Haraam. This conversation never happened, I'm burning my computer now.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8534
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm not gonna bother fixing my grammar in the last post. As bad as it's been in the first drafts of my last couple posts, I think I'm better off pretending this conversation didn't take place for an entirely different reason than yours.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3041
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:I bring up Moore because you praise him as the better documentarian, but others will say he does the same thing, in terms of haranguing, that Kenner does. My point is haranguing and the documentary coexist, and there doesn’t have to be an either/or relationship as the line from your piece would suggest.


I see your point, but I think you're taking a rhetorical flourish too literally. I appreciate your reading the review and posting about it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6748
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek
Contact:

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:28 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I don't disagree, but I don't think food science should be foregone to keep people currently alive, alive--I just think more effort should go into sensible human breeding as well as sensible plant and animal breeding.

That would help with the whole global warming pickle too.

But, such things must never be mentioned. Got it? Haraam. This conversation never happened, I'm burning my computer now.


But, but, but... where will the consumers and soldiers come from? Why, there won't be enough people for the overlords to exploit! Must keep breeding, exploiting and dangling that carrot just out of reach. Sell it!

Bigredhunk
Forum Addict
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:01 pm

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm seeing this tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Looking a little less forward to dinner afterward though.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3041
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 3:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Food Inc. as a Documentary

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:49 am

Bigredhunk wrote:I'm seeing this tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Looking a little less forward to dinner afterward though.


Wouldja believe I watched it WHILE eating dinner? Barf.


Return to “Movies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests