Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:29 pm

I suppose I don't really need to tell the snooty film types here to skip it, but I'm going to say it anyway.

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.

I'm a Transformers fan since before I can remember. I've got thousands and thousands of figures, dvds, comics, memorobilia.

Revenge of the Fallen makes me want to throw it all out. Its not that the movie is just stupid, because I can accept that. They turned Optimus Prime, the hero, into a murderous psychopath. He's ripping off heads, and snapping one liners, anything but noble.

the crass sexuality is more than anyone should bear. I saw more ass in this movie (aimed at children) than I do in most adult movies. dogs hump dogs, robot humps human, robot disguised as human humps human, and John Turturro rips off his pants right before taking on the biggest robot in the movie who has a giant pair of testicles.

The new Autobots Skids and Mudflap are painfully offensive and stupid stereotypes of african americans.

Its loud, its 50 minutes too long, its plot barely makes sense, and its heart breaking. I couldn't be more upset and betrayed by a movie. Star Wars Episode 1, Batman & RObin, and Superman 4 are all better than Transformers 2.

A few precious things they've done well: Megatron, Starscream, and The Fallen were all interesting, and portrayed well. Autobots were too fleeting and numerous to name or pay attention to, coming and going without introduction, and often without speaking a word.

Its a deeply disturbing movie, and its making more money than the first and audiences are loving it. I've lost faith in my hobby and lost faith in humanity.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Postby depinmad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Best.Post.Ever!!!!!!!!!

Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:31 am

It blows that it's made almost $400 million worldwide in 5 days. I had no idea this many people liked the first one (I hated it, so I have no interest in this) and/or were fans growing up.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:00 am

I really enjoyed the first one (even though it stars Shia LeDouche and Megan Fox, a real brainless twat).
Can the sequel really be that much of a departure from the first?

Man, critics have passed over every movie/sequel of the summer so far that I was looking forward to (Wolverine, Terminator Salvation, and now this - I had even started holding out hope for Day One with Jack Black and Michael Cera, but nope, that one got cut off at the knees as well).

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 am

As a movie, no its not much of a departure. Special effects are much better, and there is more robot stuff as promised.

Honestly a lot of people have been telling me I'm nuts and should just enjoy it for what it is.

I take issue for 3 reasons: Star Trek, Iron Man, Dark Knight. you don't have to be DUMB to make an action movie any more. It can be smart, clever, and funny. The bar has been raised, and Transformers did not respond accordingly.

I'm no longer willing to give genre films a free pass just because they're the movie versions of stuff I like.

Do it right, or don't do it at all. Thats my motto.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 am

Shipley, you're giving Ebert a run for the money with this review, and he even posted two.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:15 pm

is that a good or bad thing?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 pm

Oh, it's a good thing. You achieved a level of scathing in one review that he (almost) needed two to accomplish.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Ebert didn't spend half his disposable income on celebrating these character for the last decade.

I am starting to lighten up. Even if it a terrible movie, it is in fact, just a movie. I'm not willing to trash all that I own for this sake. I am looking forward to selling a good deal of my collection to finance other endeavors....

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 am

Just watched it on DVD a few nights ago. OVERKILL! And just far too long.
I can now understand why so many gave the sequel such a hard time. What with the Skids & Mudflap characters and the human female robot (I thought this was Transformers, not Terminator) and the mom high on pot brownies and the Constructicon with giant wrecking balls for testicles...

With the first film I allowed myself the freedom to have fun and accept it face value, and I bought it hook line and sinker. I could not do this with the sequel, with each scene being more absurd than the next. The first film by comparison was just so much more succinct.

I suppose part of the problem is the amount of freedom writers/producers/directors have when directing a film based around a universe which was originally created (much like He-Man, which is also going to receive a new film) to support the sales of a toy-line. Big difference when compared to films based on an established series of novels per say.

Shipley wrote:and John Turturro rips off his pants...

Yeah, that was something I didn't need to see.

Return to “Movies”