Tell No One

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Tell No One

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:10 am

How does a thriller written in 2001 by a nice Jewish guy from Jersey get turned into a stylish French film in 2006? Hell if I know, but Tell No One is just that thriller, and just that film.

Seeing the trailer for Tell No One was easily the most valuable and enjoyable part of Netflixing OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies. Tell No One tells the story of Alexandre Beck (David Beck in the American setting of the original), a doctor whose wife was murdered by a serial killer. After showing these events at the open of the film, the narrative jumps eight years later, to the time when two bodies are discovered in shallow graves near the site of her abduction.

Click the links in this review with caution, as they may reveal plot details you'd want to learn as the are shown in the film. I know, I know, even the trailer tells a hell of a lot more than this, but I kind of want to leave this post sparse as to details.

I'll just say that Wikipedia's biography of author Harlan Coben reads: "The plots of his novels often involve the resurfacing of unresolved or misinterpreted events in the past (such as murders, fatal accidents, etc.) and often have multiple plot twists."

The cinematography is great, the acting is clear and crisp, and while the transition from French original to English subtitle left me wondering who was whom among the femal supporting cast, the roles are all pretty vital to the story. Very little chaff in this flick. There are some changes from the original (if you've read it), but even the author says he likes the movie version better.

Watch this movie. Best one I've seen in a long time.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tell No One

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:48 am

I concur. Loved it.

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:46 am

Based on the comments above, I got this from Netflix and watched it this weekend. I concur also...very complex, fascinating, well-acted and directed. Unfortunately, there are those who avoid films with sub-titles at all costs, so probably will not see it. I am not one of them, however.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:13 am

roman de gare is better.

Return to “Movies”