Area man tired of pretending to be a David Lynch fan.

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Area man tired of pretending to be a David Lynch fan.

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:41 pm

Tiring of even the limited amount of energy required to maintain the facade of being a David Lynch fan, longtime Madison resident Narc O. Leptish stated to friends recently that he was unsure if he really liked Lynch's films or just wanted to like them. "For all of their supposed depth and intricately intertwined layers, I think many fans of his movies are about as deep as my dog's water dish", said Leptish. "I can't count how many conversations I've had about Lynch movies where the extent of the other persons insight is to name their favorite movie and to state unequivocally that Lynch is 'just so fucking cool'," Leptish added.
It appears the final straw was over a year ago after a big screen showing of Inland Empire, but it took until recently for the memories of that night, combined with years of multiple viewings and internet searches for understanding, to manifest into an actual public declaration of his feelings. "Inland Empire was really it for me. The realization that David Lynch is just fucking with us, just seeing how long he can get a room full of hipsters to sit in uncomfortable indie-movie theater seats waiting for an epiphany that isn't coming. Three fucking hours I sat through that thing, the last two spent holding in the enormous piss I had to take because god forbid I miss something that might bring me a moment of clarity. And for what? So I can stand around the lobby afterward with all the graphic artists and give little smug smiles and knowing nods? Maybe have my local barista walk by and say 'smart movie'. Fuck that," said Leptish.
Leptish wasn't sure what he would do with the handful of dvds he owned. "I feel like I should save Fire Walk With Me in case I ever develop insomnia. All I have to do is plug that one in and I'm out in fifteen minutes. Wild At Heart was at least understandable but take away Bobby Peru and it wouldn't be worth a second look. Maybe if I have a garage sale in the spring I'll throw them out there for a couple bucks." With that Leptish pulled Mulholland Dr. off the shelf and gave it to his dog who held it for a moment and then dropped it in favor of a half-eaten tennis ball. "Smart boy," laughed Leptish.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Area man tired of pretending to be a David Lynch fan.

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:53 pm

But what about The Elephant Man?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:09 pm

narcoleptish wrote:With that Leptish pulled Mulholland Dr. off the shelf and gave it to his dog who held it for a moment and then dropped it in favor of a half-eaten tennis ball. "Smart boy," laughed Leptish.

But...but...the lesbians!

I hope that since you've posted this in Movies, that you're exempting Twin Peaks.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:23 pm

I just watched LOST HIGHWAY.

That is one hell of a puzzle movie. Once you get it the setup seems pretty obvious, but it's a hell of a ride before you understand the puzzle.

The sheer genius of this scene alone, and the relationship it holds to the puzzle (the strange man is the key) would win me over even if I were not already a Lynch fan.

Mystery Man: We've met before, haven't we.
Fred Madison: I don't think so. Where was it you think we met?
Mystery Man: At your house. Don't you remember?
Fred Madison: No. No, I don't. Are you sure?
Mystery Man: Of course. As a matter of fact, I'm there right now.
Fred Madison: What do you mean? You're where right now?
Mystery Man: At your house.
Fred Madison: That's fucking crazy, man.
Mystery Man: Call me. Dial your number. Go ahead.

watch it here:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15582169EqR ... pe=channel

Also:

Fred Madison: How did you meet that asshole Andy, anyway?
Renee Madison: It was a long time ago. I met him at this place called Moke's. We... became friends. He told me about a job...
Fred Madison: What job?
Renee Madison: Ah... I don't remember. Anyway, Andy's okay.
Fred Madison: Yeah well, he's got some fucked-up friends.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:53 pm

I saw Eraserhead back in the early 80s while totally stoned. That was some trippy shit.

And Blue Velvet! Whatchoo got against Blue Velvet? Huh?

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:00 pm

From Lynch's book "Catching The Big Fish": "People sometimes say they have trouble understanding a film, but I think they understand much more than they realize...Cinema is a lot like music. It can be very abstract, but people have a yearning to make intellectual sense of it, to put it right into words. And when they can't do that it feels frustrating. But they can come up with an explanation from within, if they just allow it. If they started talking to their friends, soon they would see things -- what something is and what something isn't. And they might agree with their friends or argue with their friends--but how could they agree or argue if they don't already know? The interesting thing is, they really do know more than they think." (ppg
19,20)

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Ducatista wrote:And Blue Velvet! Whatchoo got against Blue Velvet? Huh?

It's nothing but a handful of great performances.
Dumb story, lousy script and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird direction and ultimately, just no fun. I don't hate it, but it doesn't really amount to anything, and you can see great performances by all the principles in movies that are actually fun to watch.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:It's nothing but a handful of great performances.
Dumb story, lousy script and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird direction and ultimately, just no fun.

Yeah, I'm not sure "fun" is a word I'd use to describe it, but plenty of my favorite movies don't rank too high on the fun scale. Along with those great performances you "nothing but"-ed, it's such a visually and aurally beautiful nightmare. Lynch's surface was more gorgeous (Isabella Rosselini? come on!), and his underbelly seamier, than anybody else's. I loved it.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:24 pm

What did you think Blue Velvet was about, wags?

Serious question. Did you glean a theme from the film? (I think we can all agree having fun is probably not high on the list of possibilities).

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:01 pm

christopher_robin wrote:What did you think Blue Velvet was about, wags?

I'm not sure I've wasted much time thinking about it.
Like Ducatista said, seamy underbellies, I guess.

As for not being fun -- of course I think a movie can be spectacular without being fun. Schindler's List leaps to mind.
But I sure prefer my bizarrely directed, visually strange stuff to be fun. I mean, Brazil ain't exactly uplifting, but it's still a fun ride. Blue Velvet feels more like waiting in line only to find that the ride's broken when you finally get to the front.

And really? You think Isabella looks good in Blue Velvet?
Considering she's one of the most beautiful women to have ever graced the planet, all I can say when I look at that is: Ick.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:06 pm

Ducatista wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:It's nothing but a handful of great performances.
Dumb story, lousy script and weird-for-the-sake-of-weird direction and ultimately, just no fun.

Yeah, I'm not sure "fun" is a word I'd use to describe it, but plenty of my favorite movies don't rank too high on the fun scale. Along with those great performances you "nothing but"-ed, it's such a visually and aurally beautiful nightmare. Lynch's surface was more gorgeous (Isabella Rosselini? come on!), and his underbelly seamier, than anybody else's. I loved it.

I really liked the voyeuristic Blue Velvet.
I think Lynch is good at building and then partially releasing tension. He makes me squirm and follow it with nervous laughter. Sometimes I've felt like I'm in on the gag and other times I think he's a pretentious ass that sacrifices coherent storylines with film school study-meez and pointlessly inserted characters.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:08 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:fun ride

heh

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:28 pm

First off I was just having a little fun but I have had my doubts over whether I get much enjoyment from them. I'm always a fan of certain characters and certain visuals but somewhere in the middle I just lose interest if I'm unsure of what's happening. Maybe my brain's MO isn't a good fit for Lynch, or maybe I should pop an adderall before I give Mulholland Dr another shot.

christopher_robin wrote:I just watched LOST HIGHWAY.

Lost Highway is the movie that I most like, or at least want to like. Robert Blake is creepy without acting and Patricia Arquette is.......Patricia Arquette. More than that though, I liked a lot of things about that movie. I haven't watched it in years.

I appreciate the quote from Lynch's book. I like what he said and I realize that most of my conversations have probably been with the wrong people after the wrong number of drinks.

Inland Empire did suck.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:36 pm

narcoleptish wrote: Lost Highway is the movie that I most like, or at least want to like.......I liked a lot of things about that movie. I haven't watched it in years.

I sound just like the people I was complaining about.

Maybe I've only been talking to myself.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:And really? You think Isabella looks good in Blue Velvet? Considering she's one of the most beautiful women to have ever graced the planet, all I can say when I look at that is: Ick.

The incredibly beautiful woman in an incredibly ugly situation (and guise) is part of the point, I think.

Return to “Movies”