My Name Is Bruce - W/Traveling Bruce Campbell Tour

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

My Name Is Bruce - W/Traveling Bruce Campbell Tour

Postby Bigredhunk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 am

Anybody going to this on Dec 3rd at Sundance?

Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Re: My Name Is Bruce - W/Traveling Bruce Campbell Tour

Postby Velvet Coffin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:22 am

Several of us are going! There's a little meet-up in the second floor bar beforehand, too, if you care to talk cult horror with strangers.

Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Weather precluded my being there, so.....

How was it Velvet??

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:16 am

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:24 am

yeah, help a brother out! his article has slipped down to #3 most popular after a week atop the charts.

Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby Velvet Coffin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:12 am

I showed up early to meet folks (Zloduska was lovely and full of great ideas for local horror fans; I was gunning for Shipley to exchange words about his self-promotion style but he showed up late so I barely made his acquaintance), and then stayed for two screenings and two Q&As. My stamina for strangers and bad horror movies is staggeringly high.

The movie was a self-deprecating lambasting of Bruce himself and B movies in general, and is well worth a rental when it comes out on DVD around February. (I will be purchasing it, but my tastes are not everyone's.) Silly monsters. Melodramatic deaths. Humor tending toward the slapstick, the ribald, the nerdy, and occasionally the scatological. Crowd reaction at the screenings I saw was a little muted-- no standing ovation for Bruce either time. But his "hilarious jerk" act elicited great laughter. I admire a man who's made a decent career championing that lowly majority of movies: the B movie.

It was good, in short, and I'm damned proud of Madison for having brought the event here. Thanks goes to Sundance, Dane101, and Westfield's, I believe.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:45 am

I thought the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' snubbing of Bruce Campbell for an Oscar nomination for his role as Elvis in Bubba Ho-Tep was an outrage.

Seriously. I forget who the fuck won Best Actor that year, but there's no way in hell he was better than Bruce's Elvis.

Reason #5,372 why the Oscars suck.

Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby Bigredhunk » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:10 am

Shipley wrote:fans were allegedly enthralled.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=24514

Wow, the weather didn't keep most out-of-towners away? They're brave folk. Maybe it's living 110 miles away, but I just didn't want to chance it. I knew when I bought the tix online in November that December 3rd was going to be a shit weather day. Just knew it.

I love me some fall and wInter (summer blows). But it sucks that you can NEVER make plans in the winter. The minute you do, there's some kind of weather advisory/warning in effect for wherever it is you want to go.

Return to “Movies”