Hellboy 2

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Hellboy 2

Postby depinmad » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:51 am

i was not a big fan of the first hellboy movie, but this new one is pretty much perfect. better villains, better effects, better plot and pacing.
also, i despise family guy but seth mcfarlane cracked me the fuck up in this flick.
guillermo del toro should direct every movie, if only because he does the funniest commentary tracks for the dvds.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:56 am

Good to know.
I was planning on seeing it tonight anyway.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:27 am

I really REALLY dug this movie. I liked the first one quite a bit as well. Great action with great comic relief.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 pm

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm not steeped in Hellboy lore, but Ron Perlman is a great character actor, and the comic timing is every bit as good as the action.

I will must say this: The "Troll Market" has to be the most creative look into another world since Luke walked into the Mos Eisley Catina in 1977. Dozens of well crafted and expressive creatures with their own stories and lives all interacting... del Toro is truly a visonary, and we're lucky he likes to make geek films.

Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:51 am

Agreed! Really fun flick. Some of the best fight choreography & cinematography in a long time. Very well made. Funny, weird & well paced. Been a good summer for movies.

Rosalind

Postby Rosalind » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Great fun, really enjoyed it. But when do women get to do more than get pregnant or kill themselves? I know, Liz has the fire-thing going for her (wow, I'd hate to be her OB-GYN), but women characters should be able to do more than mother or die!

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 am

possibly kent williams most retarded review ever?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:35 am

I don't know about retarded. theres one comparison that seemed pretty apt...

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=23236
Kent WIlliams wrote:One sequence, set in something called the Troll Market, makes the famous Star Wars cantina scene look like Tuesday night at the Elks Club.

hmmmm...
Shipley wrote:I will must say this: The "Troll Market" has to be the most creative look into another world since Luke walked into the Mos Eisley Cantina in 1977.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:44 am

hey douche, don't make me pull links for the many articles and reviews that cite the cantina sequence in reference to hellboy 2 that predate your appropriation of it by days and weeks.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:15 pm

I'm going to be completely honest: I didn't read much of the Hellboy advance press so I didn't see that comparison made. I'm not surprised more than one person made the connection.

If anything I'm illustrating that Kent and I had the same thought, so I'm at least as "retarded" as he is. Or maybe he ripped it off someone else. Either way.

Return to “Movies”