WALL E!

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

WALL E!

Postby Shipley » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:32 am

One year ago, I saw Transformers. At the time it was the best transforming robot movie ever made.

Pixar has made a better one. In fact they've made the best movie they've ever made. They've made probably the best movie this year.

Visual storytelling is tops, sound design is fantastic, Thomas Newman's score is brilliant and epic. This is one of the best science fiction movies I've ever seen.

I laughed, I cried, I bought the action figure.

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:50 am

I was skeptical, until:

[quote][url=http://blogs.wsj.com/buzzwatch/2008/06/26/buzz-links-heres-what-wall-e-reviews-are-saying/?mod=googlenews_wsj]The film is garnering rave reviews from writers who say director Andrew Staton, who also helmed “Finding Nemo,â€Â

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:07 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it. 2001: A Space Odyssey is another G-rated film with dark themes (man is the animal that murders, etc.).

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:07 pm

I laughed. Didn't cry. And probably won't buy the action figure. But still a good movie. 8)

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Saw it this afternoon. My five year old enjoyed it because WALL-E and friends are very cute and funny. I'm sure most of the subtext went right over his head. I'd say this movie rivals just about anything Pixar has made, on par (and perhaps surpassing) Ratatouille. It's the story of creation after the end of the world with humanity not even present but personified by their garbage. My favorite part--which doesn't spoil anything for you who haven't seen it--is the robot psych ward. Machines have evolved past the point of being merely tools for humans to work--yet they embody the same limitations that we have, that when things go wrong in the brain (or circuitry) being in control is the hardest part. And with robots, it's even harder since they are built for a single purpose. Brilliant movie, go see it.

Return to “Movies”