El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:36 am

It's really hard to discuss this movie without spoiling it, but I do recommend it for fans of suspense, horror, and puzzle movies. It's in the same vein as The Others, but far richer, more human, and more densely layered.

It's a story about imaginary friends, and ghosts, and listening to children. It's also a story about being distracted and the colossal consequences of small actions.

There is at least one sequence that is truly scary if you have become immersed in the film, though I wouldn't call this a horror film.

Spanish, with subtitles. Available at Bongo.

Anyone else seen this? I can edit the header to alert for spoilers if anyone wants to discuss it--it's the kind of film that you want to compare notes on.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 am

i saw it alone in an empty movie theater.
it's a masterpiece. scariest thing i've seen in a while.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 pm

I saw it and thought it was very good. I also watched it alone, though from the comfort of my couch. It got pretty scary at the end, but I won't engage in any hyperbole.

If you like ghosty type stories and don't mine subtitled films, it's worth the rental.

Return to “Movies”