FINALLY: A Truly Scary Movie

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

FINALLY: A Truly Scary Movie

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 pm

As a real horror film buff, I have been so disappointed lately in just about every supposed "horror" movie I've seen. Somewhere along the line, gobs of blood and nauseating violence has been mistaken for horror...and it ain't.

Well, for those of you who truly, truly want to be creeped out and truly frightened by a movie, I have one for you and if you're a real horror fan, you'll thank me for it:

"Them".

Available at Netflix.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:53 pm

not "the orphanage" thread this should have been.

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Check out "The Entrance" - Thought it was great.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Re: FINALLY: A Truly Scary Movie

Postby meowzamusic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:38 pm

aaron wrote:As a real horror film buff, I have been so disappointed lately in just about every supposed "horror" movie I've seen. Somewhere along the line, gobs of blood and nauseating violence has been mistaken for horror...and it ain't.

Well, for those of you who truly, truly want to be creeped out and truly frightened by a movie, I have one for you and if you're a real horror fan, you'll thank me for it:

"Them".

Available at Netflix.

Ya know, I've always found Van Morrison to be kind of creepy...

zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:21 pm

I also fancy myself a horror film buff, and have not seen Them. It will be next on my list for sure.

Did anyone see The Strangers yet? The trailer looked really scary, just can't go to the theater anytime soon.

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:48 pm

I caught The Strangers this weekend - I thought it was solid rainy day entertainment. Apparently, it bears some similarity to Them, but even though it was released later the screenplay for Strangers was written first.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:53 pm

We saw The Strangers and thought it was ok. Good suspense and some truly scary scenes and great use of camera space, but really way too much of Liv Tyler as helpless female fleeing and falling prey to cliches that are in so many movies of this type.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:04 pm

i thought the strangers started off great and then went absolutely nowhere in a hurry. by the end it was pretty much an embarrassment.

violetb

Postby violetb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Anyone see High Tension?

Zloduska

Postby Zloduska » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:33 pm

//SPOILERS//

The Strangers: I agree it started off good, and then got disappointing. I was baffled as to how a couple with a loaded shotgun could not just fend off 3 people with no weapons except for the axe/knife/whatever from their own home. And then they make the classic idiotic horror movie mistake of not sticking together, and then paying for it. I was thinking, 'why don't they just walk down the road together holding the gun and shooting anyone who tries to stop them? Or why didn't they grab the friend's keys sooner and drive off? I have a major pet peeve when the protaganists of serious horror movies are stupid and pathetic, it's like, why am I rooting for these idiots to go on? I would have liked to see the couple at least take out one of the bad guys before they met their demise.

I was especially disappointed after researching the film online and discovering that unlike it claims in the beginning of the film, the plot is NOT in fact inspired by true events and the people and circumstances are completely ficticious. Even the "inspiration" for the film is not that similar to what happened in the movie.

High Tension: A great idea with a french/lesbian twist, however devolved into more of the same Standard Helpless Female movie victimization that I can't stand.

Zloduska

Postby Zloduska » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Oh, and speaking of disappointing horror movies with annoying, idiotic characters you don't want to cheer for, one of the worst examples I've ever seen was Rest Stop, which was seriously overhyped.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:39 pm

the twist in high tension is ludicrous, as it makes nonsensical everything that came before it. can you imagine sitting through that movie a second time?

i started watching the american version of funny games last night, but i've already seen the original and realized i could not subject myself to that again.

violetb

Postby violetb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 pm

I have sat through High Tension twice, in fact a lot more than that. The fact that it doesn't follow the typical plot outline is why I like it. The Hills Have Eyes remake, done by the same director, gave me that same sense of wobbliness that High Tension did, plus you can pretty much make anything in French and have it be cool. wine and fries for instance.

Rest Stop totally sucked, almost as annoying as Hostel.

Return to “Movies”