Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

depinmad wrote:
TAsunder wrote:
depinmad wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:What's up your ass today? Jesus. There isn't even a little bit of humorous truth in the comment that people who have a major hardon for high-minded cinema will have to head back to "arthouse" Westgate, or to their DVD players at home?

I'd submit that Westgate is going the same direction as Sundance, unless there's an artsy quality to Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay that I'm not aware of.

there, you just answered your own question.

i just have a problem with these two boobs, who regularly make these sweeping pronouncements that are based on nothing, are not in the least bit funny, and reek of hipper than thou idiocy.

Perhaps you missed the question mark at the end of the first paragraph? <-- it's the curly thing after the letter H.

i saw the question mark, and your second paragraph answered the question posed by your first.

Wrong person, dopeinmad.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

depinmad wrote:i saw the question mark, and your second paragraph answered the question posed by your first.

Hey, Blinded By Angry, it was my question, not TA's.

If your opinion about arthouses in Madison is the same as mine (or what you think mine is), then why didn't you pose it that way initially? 'Cause this post:

god, what a stupid, know-nothing, head up your own ass pronouncement to make. if you and assunder are ever wondering why you get on my nerves big time, just refer back to this post.
why don't you go peddle this "make an idiotic statement to hear myself clack clack on the keyboard" shit back at bullshittv.com or whatever that horseshit site you have that you were promoting back on the indiana jones thread.

fucking dumbass windbag.

kinda sounds like you're diagnosing your own problem. This post does nothing but burn pixels on my screen. That, and indicate that you're in a very, very bad mood.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:10 am

He's always in that mood.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:12 am

Are you the one they call Bay-oh-wullfffff???!!!???

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:19 am

dear thai food social club members.

not in a bad mood at all. just laughing at shitley's gibberish and then assunder's defense.
book you seemed to be wondering what my problem was and asking me if i didn't see the humor in shitley's post.
and the answer is, no i never see the (intentional) humor in any shitley post.
sorry if things got confusing after that. hope this clears it up.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:53 am

"Shitley"

You've lowered to the level I haven't heard since 4th grade. Congratulations.

Theres not enough deodorant for this conversation.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:42 pm

depinmad wrote:dear thai food social club members

The slow, quiet rebirth of a sense of community in this place is the reason I'm still posting. That you feel the need to deride it only shows the prevailing attitude of above-it-all-ness that has been weighing TDPF down for some time now.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:01 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
depinmad wrote:dear thai food social club members

The slow, quiet rebirth of a sense of community in this place is the reason I'm still posting. That you feel the need to deride it only shows the prevailing attitude of above-it-all-ness that has been weighing TDPF down for some time now.

it's cute that the rebirthed community you envision is populated entirely by the above-it-all pronouncement crowd.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:08 pm

It's too bad you feel that way. I'm going to remove myself from this conversation because nothing else can come of it. I hope you don't view that as my feeling "above" anything; I am merely choosing to remove myself from a situation I find unpleasant and unproductive. I think you know something about that.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:10 pm

TAsunder wrote:Try again, dopeinmad.

Ha, I first read this as depo-inmad, like the contraceptive shot. Nice.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Bigredhunk wrote:Isn't the purpose of an indie theater to show indie movies?

Didn't you know "indie" was the new main stream as of 15 years ago?

Sundance isn't cutting edge, it just serves over priced coffee and coffee cakes to dumb asses willing to pay for the privilege of being served over priced coffee and coffee cakes; and it looks nice... Big woop.

Duh! Talk about the market for smug.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Maybe the Gabor sister is right. Even the flame wars ain't what they used to be.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:48 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
Bigredhunk wrote:Isn't the purpose of an indie theater to show indie movies?

Didn't you know "indie" was the new main stream as of 15 years ago?

Sundance isn't cutting edge, it just serves over priced coffee and coffee cakes to dumb asses willing to pay for the privilege of being served over priced coffee and coffee cakes; and it looks nice... Big woop.

Duh! Talk about the market for smug.

To Madison, that is cutting edge. We were previously used to watching "indie" movies in broken seats and mono sound while eating stale popcorn and hearing lounge music from outside courtesy of the Orpheum and Westgate.

I hear our public wi-fi system is cutting edge too.

Schabow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Schabow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:17 pm

I love Sundance. This idea that it’s full of yuppies and high-class snobs is simply misguided. I recently went to see Iron Man there on my birthday. Me and my special lady friend went to Flat Top Grill for dinner, then went up on the Sundance Roottop for a few cocktails before the movie. Once the movie was about to start, we strolled down to the theater (with our drinks) and watched a great movie in some nice comfy chairs. Later we discussed how that was a true movie experience.

I don’t mind them playing more commercial movies, just as long as they don’t lose touch of what Sundance is suppose to be. But honestly, I still think they do a pretty good job at playing pretty authentic indie films most of the time.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Rooftop cocktails...you're obviously one of those above-it-all types.

Seriously folks. While the grain of salt here is that I have yet to take in a film at Sundance (despite a gift certificate burning a hole), I think Schabow's description is why I want to go there. The fact that I haven't, has nothing to do with the films (in fact, I really wanted to get there for Persepolis); rather, it's a function of not having the time to go out for a movie very often.

But I'd pay a little more for the kind of experience Schabow describes.

Return to “Movies”