Sundance Showing Mainstream Movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:04 am

boston_jeff wrote:That last sentence is a copout!

Agreed. But it's still there all the same!

boston_jeff wrote:If I was on your team wouldn't I know you?! My team was "Through the Looking Glass" with the Scotch swiller up front. I'm guessing you were the "Fish Biscuit" crew, eh?

Hey, the Internet is full of ships in the meatspace night. But yeah, I was on Team "Yes, we made these t-shirts."

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:16 am

Nice, we won a couple rounds but you won the whole shit, sweet shirts. We also did the Oscar night there, came in second, trivia rocks the shit.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:14 am

depinmad wrote:
Shipley wrote:
These arty farty films don't bring in the dollars, a big budget action flick will. Sorry film fans, you're going to have to go back to Westgate and watching stuff on DVD first.

god, what a stupid, know-nothing, head up your own ass pronouncement to make ... fucking dumbass windbag.

Stupid, Know nothing, and head up my own ass don't describe what I see with my own two eyes. I've been to several movies at Sundance, and was a regular at the old Hilldale. The common thread was always less than 20 people in the house any time I saw a movie. the exception at Hilldalle was March Of The Penguins, the exception at Sundance was Michael Clayton.
I don't relish this truth, but it is the truth as I've seen it. In order for a theater to make money, they have to put asses in the seats and though by your own indication I'm the biggest ass on the forum, I'm not a big enough ass to keep a theater in business.

Maybe movies after 9 are packed like a nightclub, but any time I've gone after dinner or a matinee, its sparse.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:16 am

"Sorry film fans, you're going to have to go back to Westgate and watching stuff on DVD first."

it's cute how you don't mention this part of your pronouncement, which is the main source of your obnoxiously stupid know-nothingness.

it's gibberish, completely speculative, and designed for no other purpose but to hear the sound of your own keyboard.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 am

it's gibberish, completely speculative, and designed for no other purpose but to hear the sound of your own keyboard.

Didn't you start a thread complaining that Westgate got an indie film before Sundance? Doesn't this combined with 2/3 of the screens wasted on blockbusters you wouldn't go see at Sundance more or less prove that Shipley is right? Or does it take some magic number of times being burned before you will realize something (e.g. that the sound at a theater is not to your liking).

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 am

TAsunder wrote:

Didn't you start a thread complaining that Westgate got an indie film before Sundance? Doesn't this combined with 2/3 of the screens wasted on blockbusters you wouldn't go see at Sundance more or less prove that Shipley is right? Or does it take some magic number of times being burned before you will realize something (e.g. that the sound at a theater is not to your liking).

doesn't come close to proving shipley right.
first off, what does film fans mean?
second, why does sundance showing mainstream as well as indies mean one has to "go back to westgate" or "watch on dvd first"?

and magic number? you mean like the amount of times you went to cafe porta alba? or the miles you clicked off on your pedometer on your long long hike to hilldale?

reeeeeeee-tard.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:47 am

depinmad wrote:doesn't come close to proving shipley right.
first off, what does film fans mean?
second, why does sundance showing mainstream as well as indies mean one has to "go back to westgate" or "watch on dvd first"?

and magic number? you mean like the amount of times you went to cafe porta alba? or the miles you clicked off on your pedometer on your long long hike to hilldale?

reeeeeeee-tard.

Try again, dopeinmad. This thread is about indie films being missing from Sundance. If your brain is so defective that you can't understand Shipley's point, then you really have no reason to post here. Do you need someone to spell it out for you in first grade vocabulary or something?

It's not surprising that your paltry brain is also incapable of remembering the actual facts when it comes to Porta Alba or Hilldale. I've been to Porta Alba a few times, and some of them were good. Unlike your situation with Sundance where you repeatedly go back having no reason to believe it will be better. I won't even bother with the Hilldale part, which is complete horsecrap and unrelated to the actual point being made at the time.

It's nice that you are really trying hard to come up with insults. Unfortunately they don't make sense. Too bad TDPF doesn't give out gold stars like in grade school (seemingly the highest level of education you completed).

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:49 am

of course you can't read, assunder. otherwise you would notice that i've had plenty of fine experiences at sundance, just not with the blockbusters.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:50 am

What's up your ass today? Jesus. There isn't even a little bit of humorous truth in the comment that people who have a major hardon for high-minded cinema will have to head back to "arthouse" Westgate, or to their DVD players at home?

I'd submit that Westgate is going the same direction as Sundance, unless there's an artsy quality to Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay that I'm not aware of.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:53 am

TheBookPolice wrote:What's up your ass today? Jesus. There isn't even a little bit of humorous truth in the comment that people who have a major hardon for high-minded cinema will have to head back to "arthouse" Westgate, or to their DVD players at home?

I'd submit that Westgate is going the same direction as Sundance, unless there's an artsy quality to Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay that I'm not aware of.

there, you just answered your own question.

i just have a problem with these two boobs, who regularly make these sweeping pronouncements that are based on nothing, are not in the least bit funny, and reek of hipper than thou idiocy.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:54 am

depinmad wrote:of course you can't read, assunder. otherwise you would notice that i've had plenty of fine experiences at sundance, just not with the blockbusters.

I can read just fine. You went to three blockbusters and didn't enjoy the sound in any of them. That means you are a moron because you paid extra money for an experience you consider worse than two other, cheaper theaters in Madison.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:55 am

depinmad wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:What's up your ass today? Jesus. There isn't even a little bit of humorous truth in the comment that people who have a major hardon for high-minded cinema will have to head back to "arthouse" Westgate, or to their DVD players at home?

i just have a problem with these two boobs, who regularly make these sweeping pronouncements that are based on nothing, are not in the least bit funny, and reek of hipper than thou idiocy.

Perhaps you missed the question mark at the end of the first paragraph? <-- it's the curly thing after the letter H.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:56 am

hey asshole:

a couple of newsflashes:
there is more than one auditorium at sundance, and not loving the sound in one of them didn't mean i wouldn't give the others a shot.

sundance was the only game in town for U23D.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:58 am

TAsunder wrote:
depinmad wrote:

Perhaps you missed the question mark at the end of the first paragraph? <-- it's the curly thing after the letter H.

i saw the question mark, and your second paragraph answered the question posed by your first.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:03 am

depinmad wrote:hey asshole:

a couple of newsflashes:
there is more than one auditorium at sundance, and not loving the sound in one of them didn't mean i wouldn't give the others a shot.

sundance was the only game in town for U23D.

Well I eagerly look forward to your reviews of the remaining 3 theaters then. I suggest Iron Man or Sex And The City.

Return to “Movies”