Iron Man

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Iron Man

Postby Shipley » Mon May 05, 2008 4:56 pm

my revised best hero movies ever list is as follows:

Batman Begins
Iron Man
X2
Spider-Man 2
Hellboy

Iron Man was a purely fun movie, and worth seeing in a theater. Though it was not wall to wall fights and action like the trailers may have made it look, it never felt dull. Robert Downey Jr turned the trial and error construction of 3 seperate Iron Man suits into an enjoyable ride. Gwenyth Paltrow was great, and was an enjoyable sidekick rather than damsel or simple romantic interest.

As a comic fan, aching to see a larger universe expressed on film, I'm glad to see reference to to SHIELD in the film. The post-credits cameo that will set up the future Avengers films (Hulk, Thor, Antman, and Captain America) is not to be missed. The Marvel Universe is alive.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Tue May 06, 2008 7:59 am

Totally agree...Great movie that's done justice to a great franchise. Looking forward to the next one with
War Machine.

I was very pleased to learn that Marvell will continue to make thier own movies, not license them out, so we'll hopefully be spared anymore dumbed down commercial versions of their story arcs.

An Avengers movie will totally rock with Captain America and Ant Man! Super Sweet

Life is good in the Marvell Universe.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue May 06, 2008 8:06 am

i agree that it was a few definite rungs below batman begins, and probably on par with the spiderman movies.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue May 06, 2008 8:51 am

mcs_madison wrote:Life is good in the Marvell Universe.

Oh, I dunno about that...

April was pretty fucking cruel.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Tue May 06, 2008 9:22 am

Marvell wrote:
mcs_madison wrote:Life is good in the Marvell Universe.

Oh, I dunno about that...

April was pretty fucking cruel.

Ok...How about things are looking up in the Marvell (Movie) Universe... ;-)

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 am

depinmad wrote:i agree that it was a few definite rungs below batman begins, and probably on par with the spiderman movies.

Really? I thought it was great and they kept mostly to the storyline, other than updating the bad guys for a modern context.

Unlike, Spiderman where I actually laughed out loud at some of the stupid crap they just pulled out of thin air. It was painful to watch IMO

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 am

well, like the spiderman movies, i liked it in fits and starts but didn't love it. maybe it's a little better than the spidermans, i'll have to see it again.
i guess after the first ten minutes i felt it dragged for awhile when he was in captivity, then picked up again.
it had a couple of really good laughs (deliberately) but it did not rock my world the way batman begins did.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 am

I liked it quite a bit, but maybe not as much as the first two Spiderman movies, Batman Begins, the first two Xmen movies, or the first Blade.

But I'd put it on the next tier with Hellboy, Unbreakable, etc. I never found Ironman/Tony Stark to be that compelling a character, but the writers and RDJ did a great job of making him interesting.

Can't WAIT to see Heath Ledger's Joker in TDK.

Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby Woofer » Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 am

"Iron Man" contained lots of nods to the longtime fans... Rhodey's glance at the unoccupied suit followed by his "Maybe next time" line was a nice touch. But c'mon, Kent! That was no "aged Hugh Hefner!" That was Stan "The Man" Lee, in his de rigueur cameo.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Tue May 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Almost up there with Spiderman. 8)

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed May 14, 2008 10:47 am

I was never a huge fan of the first Spider-Man. I felt 2 was much better and benefitted from some original scenes like the train fight.

Iron Man ranks as one of the best comic adaptations made, and retained a sense of fun. Stark is as much a thrill seeker in that suit as he is a hero. Just a blast to watch, and I hope the rest of the Marvel movies hold up like this. Theres talk of Brad Pitt as Thor, and with Edward Norton already The Hulk, I'd kill for a Fight Club rematch!

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 am

maybe you can get a 'fight club rematch' and lose your virginity all in one. 2011 could be a big year for you.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed May 14, 2008 11:52 am

Hey Bucky, lose the attitude. You know who I am, you know where to find me. Keyboard Courage gets you nowhere. Come and get me.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Wed May 14, 2008 2:15 pm

did you just ask me out on a date?

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed May 14, 2008 3:16 pm

Bucky Goldstein wrote:did you just ask me out on a date?

The first time's always the most exciting, huh Little Sprout?

Return to “Movies”