Big Man Japan

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Das Binky

Big Man Japan

Postby Das Binky » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:50 pm

The slate of movies in my ever growing list of "most f*cked up movies I've ever seen" just grew by one. Big Man Japan is a wonderfully ludicrous bit of cinema. The basic concept is a mockumentary following around a sixth-generation superhero. He's really the only superhero left in Japan, and frankly, a bit of a loser. His periodic dispatching of monsters is part of a reality show that gets such horrible ratings that it's stuck at 2:30 am showings.

In a way, it's a bit like a live-action, parallel universe version of The Incredibles, except Mr. Incredible doesn't really like his job, can't maintain relationships with his family, and constantly has his house graffittied by people complaining about how much destruction he causes when he dispatches monsters. (Plus, Big Man Japan requires massive doses of electricity to become super, and changes from a slight Japanese Man into a 30-foot tall conflicted avenger of justice.)

The visuals are awesomely campy, but still pro-looking. It's got a little of the Kaiju: Big Battel feel to it, but looks much smoother. (And the monsters are wonderfully creative.) It's got some social and political messages worked in, usually in a wry and witty manner.

The final ten minutes or so was one of the strangest things I've ever seen, a weird homage to the Japanese Ultraman stuff. (Which has now been bumped to the top of my Netflix queue. Gotta start warping the kids early.)

Word it that this may get a limited release somewhere. Check it out. Perfect midnight movie.

Return to “Movies”