King Kong

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:11 am

depinmad wrote:it's cute that you had to look them up.

It's cute that you still don't know what they mean.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:59 am

not an esl student dep, an ed/ld/cd student.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:04 am

It's too bad you spend so much time trolling and so little time figuring out how to type a URL in TDPF.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:13 am

it's too bad that you're a doodyhead. blah blah blah.

holy christ are you a bore. a bore with shitty taste. you're that guy who corners people at parties and never shuts the fuck up. you're that guy who thinks modest mouse is new and fresh indie music. you're that guy whose first cronenberg film was a history of violence and now you think he's a genius. you're that guy who plays world of warcraft in your underwear.

since you're looking up words in the dictionary, give this one a whirl: tedious.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:39 am

Bucky Goldstein wrote:you're that guy whose first cronenberg film was a history of violence and now you think he's a genius.

Possibly the most tediously boring and terrible movie I've ever seen. It was my first Cronenberg movie, and I'll think twice before seeing another. It played out like it was written by a 15 year old, not unlike some of the other movies based on "Graphic Novels" in recent years. I like comic books, take the pretensiousness out of it. History Of Violence, Sin City, and 300 all share this stupidly glorious view of sex and violence that manages to demean men and women alike in the simplicity of their characters. I'd appreciate a "graphic novel" writer who can write a woman that isn't a whore. In the mean time I'll stick to Birds of Prey. You can say a lot of things about Barbara Gordon, but prostitute ain't one of them.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 am

way to TOTALLY not get history of violence. surprise surprise.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am

Shipley wrote:
Bucky Goldstein wrote:you're that guy whose first cronenberg film was a history of violence and now you think he's a genius.

Possibly the most tediously boring and terrible movie I've ever seen.

let me reply to this as tasunder would after consulting his merriam-webster:

tediously boring = redundant

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:49 am

Are you sure that was the first film of his you've seen? He also made Scanners, Dead Ringers, The Dead Zone, and the remake of The Fly with Jeff Goldblum.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:16 am

Ok, he's made some pulp classics, but none are exactly my cup of tea.

depinmad wrote:way to TOTALLY not get history of violence. surprise surprise.

Way to totally let me be entitled to my opinion.

Thats what we're arguing here, right? Opinions. Matters of taste, tastes that change from person to person. My opinion is that A History Of Violence was not worth the 2 dollars I spend to see it at Market Square, and that I nearly walked out after 30 minutes. This was like 2 or 3 years ago, so forgive me if I cannot remember specifically what made me dislike it.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:19 pm

Shipley wrote:Ok, he's made some pulp classics, but none are exactly my cup of tea.

depinmad wrote:way to TOTALLY not get history of violence. surprise surprise.

Way to totally let me be entitled to my opinion.

Thats what we're arguing here, right? Opinions. Matters of taste, tastes that change from person to person. My opinion is that A History Of Violence was not worth the 2 dollars I spend to see it at Market Square, and that I nearly walked out after 30 minutes. This was like 2 or 3 years ago, so forgive me if I cannot remember specifically what made me dislike it.

well the problem is, you DID go into specifics, and they were all wrong. the characters are not simple, the movie does not glorify violence, per se, and the lead female character is both complex and specifically not a whore. lumping this movie in with sin city, which i loved, and 300, which i hated, is stupid and simpleminded and just what i would expect from someone whose fave movie of the year was transformers (and then comes on here moaning about movies that demean people and glorify violence)

maybe the movie wasn't worth your 2 bucks at market square, but the gibberish you're spewing about it now is priceless.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Shipley, don't even bother. If you have an opinion that differs from these two trolls, you will be ridiculed endlessly and told you are "wrong" even though it's an opinion you are stating.

And you forgot V for Vendetta in your list of movies with glorified violence and simplistic characters adapted from graphic novels. Although perhaps V for Vendetta might not accurately be described as "glorifying" violence since they used such annoying editing techniques and camera angles that you could barely see the violence.

I didn't exactly love "Stardust" but it did buck the trend a bit, though it was a far cry from the graphic novel still.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:35 pm

oh so now i AM a troll.
hang on, i'm writing that down.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:48 pm

I can defend Transformers because it never tried to be anything more than 2 hours of explosions and robots. As a story, its probably one of the weakest in the Transformers canon. I can site a half dozen single issues that offered more, not to mention full series with better characters.

But again, thats my biased opinion as a 20+ year fan of Transformers. If I were a voting member of the academy I wouldn't vote it in for anything other than sound and visual effects.

I appreciate entertainment for what it is. Transformers was fun. History of Violence was not.

As for Transformers glorifying violence, you might note there was only ONE on screen human death through the entire movie, blood was non existant. It was as unrealisitic as any other cartoon.

and now I've derailed the topic even further.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:51 pm

TAsunder wrote:Shipley, don't even bother. If you have an opinion that differs from these two trolls, you will be ridiculed endlessly and told you are "wrong" even though it's an opinion you are stating.

And you forgot V for Vendetta in your list of movies with glorified violence and simplistic characters adapted from graphic novels. Although perhaps V for Vendetta might not accurately be described as "glorifying" violence since they used such annoying editing techniques and camera angles that you could barely see the violence.

I didn't exactly love "Stardust" but it did buck the trend a bit, though it was a far cry from the graphic novel still.

camera angles and editing techniques. you're a trip dude. 5 to 1 says the most interaction you get in your life are via the internet and xbox live.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Take some of what you didn't like about History of Violence, then add in a slightly less entertaining series of high energy action shots similar to Transformers, then you have the remake of King Kong.

There, I tied it all back together.

Return to “Movies”