My solution for Sundance prices

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:51 pm

Has anyone tried talking to the ushers? They give that little speech at the beginning of each movie to talk to them if there are any issues...

the only issues I've had lately are temporary ones that would not be resolved with an usher (e.g. guy spoiling ending of no country, someone's cell phone ringing (they shut it off immediately), etc.)

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Cool, I must've just missed the trailers, thats good. While 15-20 minutes of craptastic previews suck, 3 good ones are usually worth seeing just to know whats on the horizon. Thanks for the info, and I apologize for my late arrival, glad you didn't find it too rude. next time I promise to time my entrance a bit better!

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:55 pm

So far, all the previews have been for movies that are showing or will soon be showing at sundance too. Westgate often showed trailers and then never actually got the film.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:58 pm

Velvet Coffin wrote:For many of us, I don't think it's that we don't care or notice the rude behavior. I think it's that deep Midwestern reticence, that MYOB gene, that tells us it'd be rude to hush them up so we'll just let them be rude on their own.

That's really astute. I think you're on to something.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:07 pm

Velvet Coffin wrote:I find this a very reticent, quiet, shy town for live performances, though. People talk at movies, but sit motionless at concerts.

i wish that were my experience. most shows i go to here, the crowds are noisy, obnoxious, drunk and generally disinterested.
shows i go to at the high noon, the club tavern, and cafe montmartre, i always get the vibe that the patrons feel the performers are getting in the way of their drinking and their conversations.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm

At cafe montmarte, they often did get in the way. The stage is too close and too small, and the sound too loud for a real lounge type atmosphere. Just because it's a musical act doesn't mean you should book it... I don't want to pay a $5 cover to enter cafe montmarte and have to listen to super amateur, loud punk music while sipping on a pomegranate martini and eating mushroom crepes. Nor (*cough cough* Madison's *cough cough*) do I want to feel like I'm caught in the ugly divorce proceedings of a marriage between a cocktail lounge and sports bar.

mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby mayact4 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:41 am

I, too, have always wondered at the assertion that I am getting a better movie-going experience for the extra money at Sundance.

Recently, I was seat-kicked by an older man whenever he changed positions. Plus, I was at the end of an aisle, and every time someone in the row behind me left or came into the aisle, they grabbed the back of my seat for support. Since it was a rocking chair-seat, I was yanked back each time (and it sure confounded me the number of times viewers leave the theater during a 1.5 hr movie). I have sat in rocking chairs at Star Cinema and never had this problem, so I'm not sure why it happened at Sundance. At a matinee of "In the Valley of Elah" I sat in front of a woman that had to make easily-heard comments (to herself, she was there alone) at every juncture.

I have come to expect this behavior at theaters, which is sad. I might be paying for other "amenities" at Sundance, but it's not for an experience that's any better than that of a mainstream theater.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:29 am

I didn't hear any talking at Eastgate sunday during Juno. I do plan accordingly and try to go off-rush hours. It's the popcorn eaters and candy wrapper openers that annoy me more. Talking is more white noise, but the eating....I know we're a state of tubbies, but can't you go just 100 minutes without having to fill your face?

(of course I went with someone who brought a full bag of licorice and took at least 45 minutes to go thru the bag....grrrrrr. :evil: )

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:58 am

I have my seat kicked at every theater in madison. Sundance and Star are the worst... sometimes people put their feet up against my chair and prevent me from reclining slightly, which is really annoying as someone who suffers from lower back problems. I've basically given up on the notion that people are physically capable of preventing their feet from banging the backs of chairs in front of them, despite the fact that I am able to do so rather easily.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:21 pm

i always buy seats in the top row at sundance. this prevents seat kicking and also helps with people talking because they're all in front of you and therefore mostly inaudible.
the only time this wasn't perfect for me was for beowulf 3d, where i needed to move down to the middle rows for more comfortable viewing with the 3d specs.

Meph

Postby Meph » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:30 pm

Stop the whining already. No one is making you go there. If you don't like it then wait for the movie to come out on DVD or stick it to them and acquire the move off the internet for strictly evaluation purposes.

A box of Dots are 89 cents at Woodman's and $3.00 at Star Cinema, so let's not get our undies in a bundle about how Sundance is gouging the customer, they all do it. I would take the ability to drink a beer over high priced Dots any day.

mmmmmmm Dots

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:43 pm

TAsunder wrote:I have my seat kicked at every theater in madison.

Judging by how you address people on this site, I'm not surprised. I doubt these incidents were accidental.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:48 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:
TAsunder wrote:I have my seat kicked at every theater in madison.

Judging by how you address people on this site, I'm not surprised. I doubt these incidents were accidental.

Yeah, because so many people can recognize me in winter clothes in a dark theater.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:50 am

Finally attended my first film at Sundance.

The assigned seating is as stupid as I imagined it would be (especially since I had no basis for choosing a seat, having never set foot in one of their theaters before.) At the time I got my ticket, I was the only person in the house. By the time the film started, there were 7 others -- four of which were seated uncomfortably close for such an empty theater. I'm pretty certain this would not have happened had folks chosen their seats upon entering, rather than when paying. Great idea for popular, crowded showings -- worthless for mostly empty ones.

The popcorn sucked. Worst I've had at any theater in town.

Hooray! A theater that actually knows how to use masking curtains! And the film was correctly framed! Such "features" cancel out my previous two complaints.

I was thrilled to order a small soda and get -- a small soda! It may seem strange to complain about getting more for less, but the oversized cups at other theaters do annoy me. I don't need/want that much soda -- I have little self-control and I hate having to pee during a film!

The usher's introduction was painful to hear and uncomfortable to watch. Essentially just an advertisement for themselves, otherwise wholly uninformative and uninteresting. (It also ended with a lie. "And now, without further ado, In Bruges..." Four trailers and ten minutes later, the movie started.)

The much-touted comfort of the seats is completely overblown. No more or less comfy than the newer stadium seating at Star or Point or even the new seats at Westgate.

The final analysis: It's a freaking movie theater. The idea that it's somehow a superior experience is nonsense, but no more ridiculous than the claims that it's obnoxiously elitist. It's just another movie theater, nothing more nor less.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The usher's introduction was painful to hear and uncomfortable to watch. Essentially just an advertisement for themselves, otherwise wholly uninformative and uninteresting.

Usher's introduction? WTF? That's just rude. "Here's what you need to know (from us, naturally) in order to watch this film. It goes without saying it won't stand on it's own merits."
Tell the usher to please be quiet and sit down!

Return to “Movies”