My solution for Sundance prices

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
PureVegieDude

My solution for Sundance prices

Postby PureVegieDude » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:53 am

I called Sundance to find out about ticket prices. My head was spinning. Apperently you need a PHD in math just to understand the times and prices.
(I guess they want to be truly alternative with their retarded over-pricing from other normal theatres.)
Anyway, who started Sundance? A rich actor who has made more money than I'll make in 10 lifetimes, right?
So here's what Robert pretty-boy Redford should do: Put a bit more dough into his pet project to keep the costs down so that anyone and everyone can go there.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:49 am

Oh, please, gimme a break. What a cheapskate. Anyone who finds an extra $1.00 or $1.50 prohibitive as far as seeing a first-run, independent film should probably be more concerned about "putting food on their family" than traipsing off to a theatre complex.

I am hardly rolling in excess cash, but I have never found their pricing even remotely off-putting.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:42 am

Imagine going up to a grocery checker with your milk and cereal and they charge an extra dollar or two for "amenities" that you have no desire to have in the first place. I'll bet it's the last time you shop there.

There used to be a poll tax levied on voters. It was designed to dissuade poor blacks from voting. I think the Sundance is doing somewhat the same thing. As far as I'm concerned the extra charge is to appeal to elitists and dissuade regular folks from seeing good independent films. Yup, it sure has that effect on me.

EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby EastSideTom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:02 am

As annoying as that extra charge is, it's infinitely preferable to the 15 minutes or more of loud, obnoxious commercials that the other theaters show. The fee is an attempt to make up for that lost revenue. The reality is, theaters don't make their money on the actual ticket sales; the profit is in the concessions and the sponsorships. Bob said it best: "Money doesn't talk, it swears."

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:17 am

the sad but honest truth is that Sundance IS the nicest theater we have in town.

if I'm going out to a movie, another dollar to have a better night isn't going to kill me. If I want to save a buck I stay home and watch a movie off cable or something.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:41 am

It is a remarkably off-putting pricing scheme. Having heard about, it I can't imagine ever going there. It just seems greasy.

lisalee

Sundance

Postby lisalee » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Good God, to all of you that "heard about" or the "greasy scheme" Sundances prices etc, get yourself educated.

First step inside and find a premium experience. Better than you will find anywhere in Madison.

Second, great bookings, many that you will not find elsewhere in Madison (except westgate after sundance is done with them, anyone noticed that yet?)

Third Sundance is a sustainable operation, green as possible, composting, using pla for straws and cups, repsonsible practices don't come cheap folks, and the bonus of no commericals. Those things to me are worth 1-1.50. Take the TOTAL price and compare it around (I know you have to do something besides listen to bullshit) to find out that the prices are about the same. Experience it for yourselfs and shut up until you do.

Ask those Sundance folks some questions....they have do have some information for you. I have no idea how a gift to Madison(which is what it is folks, it could have been opened anywhere in the country and we got the first one) became the theater Madison loves to hate. Well enough of us love it, it's busy and doing well.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Exclusionary pricing is nothing new.

It's illegal to post a sign on your door saying "NO (pick your victim group) allowed" and then charge a market based price. It's not illegal to charge exorbitant prices in order to discriminate via price.

Discrimination isn't always bad contrary to popular feel good rhetoric. Who wants to pay $14.00 for a flick only to have it ruined by a bunch of teenagers screwing around behind you or the prototypical fool who refuses to turn off their cell phone? I'm sure these kinds of occurrences are rare at Sundance because of the clientele they market to.

You get what you pay for when you go to the $2.00 theater.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:24 pm

i will say that in my experience, people tend to shut the fuck up when watching a movie at sundance. it's a nice change of pace.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:44 pm

I just bought two tickets to next Tuesday's 2pm showing of "There Will Be Blood".
$6.25 ea + $1.00 fee for reserved seats in a nice theater? Seems like a decent deal to me.

As for people talking...I don't know what theater you go to because I hit at least one movie a month locally, specifically Star, and I've never had that problem.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:57 pm

Most of their movies are playing elsewhere these days. Tomorrow I'm seeing Juno at Eastgate(I can almost walk there). If you don't like Sundance, shop elsewhere.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:45 pm

I feel like I should point out that many, many, many parts of the US pay more for movies than we do. My old theater in delaware charged me ten bucks to see Walk Hard when I went home for the holidays. ten bucks for a shitty, non-digital sound theater.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sundance

Postby Donald » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:53 pm

lisalee wrote:First step inside and find a premium experience.

Not until they become honest about their pricing. Just as I don't go to places that cheat me, I won't step inside Sundance.

Second, great bookings, many that you will not find elsewhere in Madison...

Yeah, that's right. Maybe true movie buffs who want more people to see good movies should boycott this place until their elitist pricing scheme is changed.

Third Sundance is a sustainable operation, green as possible, composting, using pla for straws and cups, repsonsible practices don't come cheap folks, and the bonus of no commericals. Those things to me are worth 1-1.50.

Great. Add extra charges to the price of the concession, which I won't buy anyway. I'd much rather listen to 10 minutes of commercials. Some of them are funny and artfully done.

Experience it for yourselfs and shut up until you do.

Yeah, like I'm not going to be opposed to capital punishment because I haven't experienced it.

Ask those Sundance folks some questions....they have do have some information for you. I have no idea how a gift to Madison(which is what it is folks, it could have been opened anywhere in the country and we got the first one) became the theater Madison loves to hate. Well enough of us love it, it's busy and doing well.

Yeah, ask them not to include the extra charge because you didn't use any of their extras. See how far you get. I'm sure it's doing well, but it's because there are plenty of elitists to keep it open.

lisalee

Postby lisalee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 am

I am sorry Donald, you are a very stupid man....

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:25 am

One or two dollars does not even buy ONE gallon of gas. Stop complaining and go to the movies. Be proud Madison attracted a cool venue for film.

Return to “Movies”