There Will Be Blood

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:08 pm

depinmad wrote:ta, did you say everyone plainview confronts deserves his comeuppance? and that includes his "son" and the son's interpreter?

I said everyone plainview confronts physically, as in with violence.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:11 pm

depinmad wrote:if there is one constant in pta's movies it is the tension he creates from frame one til the end credits, and a lot of this is done with the deliberately overwhelming use of music.
if you don't see and hear that, then you're not paying attention, or you're tasunder who is in a category of non critical thinking all his own.

As for this gem, I think you fail to discern the different between music adding to existing tension and music that manufactures tension when none is present in the story at the moment. Such as in There Will Be Blood when we see some hills before any storylines have really developed and there is super tense 2001 rip off music.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:34 pm

crevice beatle wrote:
depinmad wrote:if there is one constant in pta's movies it is the tension he creates from frame one til the end credits, and a lot of this is done with the deliberately overwhelming use of music.

by no means do i claim to be an expert on pta's work... but i have seen most everything he has put out. i agree this is a trademark of his other films but would you not concede that he abuses this technique in twbb?

no i don't concede that he abuses it. i actually loved his use of music in there will be blood.and his use of it to create tension is not even as over the top as it is in punch drunk love or magnolia.
in there will be blood there is plenty of tension already on the screen, in those other two, there are scene after scene where if you take away the music you have a completely different movie.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:32 pm

depinmad wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:

by no means do i claim to be an expert on pta's work... but i have seen most everything he has put out. i agree this is a trademark of his other films but would you not concede that he abuses this technique in twbb?

no i don't concede that he abuses it. i actually loved his use of music in there will be blood.and his use of it to create tension is not even as over the top as it is in punch drunk love or magnolia.
in there will be blood there is plenty of tension already on the screen, in those other two, there are scene after scene where if you take away the music you have a completely different movie.

it's been some years since i have seen magnolia but punch drunk love and boogie nights i am familiar with.
again, i have only seen there will be blood once...
i agree there is plenty of tension on screen but i feel he there were scenes in which the music did not match the tension level.
yes, they may be very subjective i realize.
in a movie like punch drunk love, his use of music seemed to be representative of the manic mind sandler's character possessed...without which, you would never get what the big deal was with the harmonium, the pudding, his sisters, his overall social anxiety, etc. a tension you obviously could not pick up on without... so i do agree it would have been an entirely different movie without his use of music.
in there will be blood, musically, the score seemed fitting, i just felt like less would've been more.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Isn't the score by one of the Radiohead folks? I don't think they believe in "less is more".

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 am

sure they do. less guitars, less melody, less vocals, less traditional song structure.

here's a good link for those interested:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20155516_20155530_20158721,00.html

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:40 am

I don't think you understand what less is more means. You don't just come up with random nouns and say they do less of that so therefore less is more. Give me a break. I guess PTA believes in less is more too... he uses less quiet music in his movies.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:47 am

TAsunder wrote:I don't think you understand what less is more means. You don't just come up with random nouns and say they do less of that so therefore less is more. Give me a break. I guess PTA believes in less is more too... he uses less quiet music in his movies.

i've never gotten the impression that you understand anything you see, read, or hear. less postings by you insinuating otherwise would definitely be more.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 am

depinmad wrote:
TAsunder wrote:I don't think you understand what less is more means. You don't just come up with random nouns and say they do less of that so therefore less is more. Give me a break. I guess PTA believes in less is more too... he uses less quiet music in his movies.

i've never gotten the impression that you understand anything you see, read, or hear. less postings by you insinuating otherwise would definitely be more.

Nice comeback. Did you grab that one off your 2nd grade comeback cheat sheet, right below "I'm rubber and you're glue?"

Since you are the only one in this thread making ridiculous claims about Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood, it would seem to me that you are the fool who doesn't comprehend most of what he sees. Please go back to listening to your high art harmonium albums that are not at all goofy instead of trying to pretend like you understand jack about films.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:35 pm

TAsunder wrote:
depinmad wrote:

Nice comeback. Did you grab that one off your 2nd grade comeback cheat sheet, right below "I'm rubber and you're glue?"

Since you are the only one in this thread making ridiculous claims about Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood, it would seem to me that you are the fool who doesn't comprehend most of what he sees. Please go back to listening to your high art harmonium albums that are not at all goofy instead of trying to pretend like you understand jack about films.

priceless.

Return to “Movies”