There Will Be Blood

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

There Will Be Blood

Postby rrnate » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:09 am

Yikes and wow.

I just saw this with the Mrs., and I can't imagine seeing a better film this year (2008) in a theater, though I guess there's still plenty of time.

It's funny, because we saw "No Country For Old Men" with a bunch of people, and one of them said something to the effect that the movie was "devastating" - There Will Be Blood is the same way, except way, WAY more. Seriously - I know there to be some movie-types on this board - you really should go see it. It's the real deal.

This is the first movie in years that I've seen and couldn't stop thinking about. It's just plain fucking awesome.

-nt-

PS - Also, I saw it at the Sundance Theater at 3 PM (so I gots the matinée price) and while it is a little more pricey and while you do have to deal with it's extreme yuppy atmosphere, it does seem to be a great place to see a movie.

Ann R

There Will Be Blood

Postby Ann R » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Saw this myself on Saturday night. I can't quit thinking about it either. Daniel Day-Lewis was sooooo good in this. I can't believe the man's talent. Really, he puts many other so-called actors to shame.

Rarely does a movie affect me like this one. I actually got a rush of adrenaline when I saw the oil wells gush like I was somehow invested in it. I agree, it is one of the best.

I'm not going to apologize for liking the Sundance Cinema. I think it's awesome and I don't care what anyone thinks.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Yes, seriously maybe the best movie in a long time. Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing and it's always good to see a holy roller get it. As for Sundance, yeah it's pricey, but it's just a better theater all around. Comfy seats, better screen, and better sound and they get some great movies, few places are showing. Then again so do the Orpheum and Westgate.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 am

Saw it yesterday. Technically this was a 2007 movie I believe.

Great movie. I have yet to dislike a PT Anderson film, and this is perhaps his best. Deep metaphorical content underneath a warm and violent surface.

The music was quite interesting. The opening scenes seemed to be an obvious reference to 2001. Throughout the film, the music added tension to scenes which were seemingly mundane.

Plainview was like a more brutally honest Al Swearengen from Deadwood. I always felt Al's character was softened too much.

Has anyone read "Oil!" who can comment on how much was taken from that book? From what I gather it's about the son of a somewhat old fashioned and ruthless oil tycoon... perhaps this is sort of like a prequel?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 am

TAsunder wrote:Technically this was a 2007 movie I believe.

Yes. It was released on the standard Oscar-candidate track: Major cities just before the end of the year to qualify for 2007 awards, then a nationwide release in early 2008 to drive (and be driven by) awards buzz.

Worked pretty well too, as borne out by this morning's Oscar nominations announcement.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:08 pm

great movie
stupidly saw it at star cuz of the timing. soft focus, lights half on.

tasunder as usual you're all wet. ddl's character is much much much closer to the hearst character in deadwood. has nothing at all to do with swearingen, cept maybe hair color.
you dope

and plus, if you're such a pta fan you'd know that ALL his movies feature tons of music that adds to the tension of otherwise mundane scenes. (see a little thing called punch drunk love). yikes.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:00 pm

I really liked the movie but thought the creepy Neighbors-esque music seemed slightly out of place for such a straightahead character story.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:11 pm

i did enjoy this film a great deal. while i do not want to take away from its many merits, there were a few things that bugged me.
at times it felt a little over reaching... it just seemed like it was trying a bit too hard to be a classic.
i also felt like there were a few sequences that could've been saved for the full release dvd. i've got nothing against long movies, it just seemed to unnecessarily drag in some portions.
i have only seen viewed it once, so perhaps i my opinion will change when not viewing in a crowded theater.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:59 pm

depinmad wrote:tasunder as usual you're all wet. ddl's character is much much much closer to the hearst character in deadwood. has nothing at all to do with swearingen, cept maybe hair color.
you dope

Hearst was a lot more nefarious and destructive, in my opinion.

and plus, if you're such a pta fan you'd know that ALL his movies feature tons of music that adds to the tension of otherwise mundane scenes. (see a little thing called punch drunk love). yikes.

Just saw punch drunk love a few weeks back. It did not have that at all. It had eerie music in eerie scenes, goofy music in goofy scenes, and tense music in tense scenes. There will be blood had tense music at virtually all times.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:04 pm

like i said, you're a dope.

without giving away the movie, ddl's character is clearly every bit as destructive as the hearst character, if not more so.

and if you heard "goofy music in goofy scenes" during punch drunk love, you can add tone deaf to your resume.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:21 pm

TAsunder wrote: There will be blood had tense music at virtually all times.

yes, exactly! i think it worked well at times...but than at other times, not so much... leaving portions of the film feeling very falsely climatic (if that makes sense).
i don't recall this technique being employed nearly as much in any of his other films. i think punch drunk love is a somewhat reasonable comparison; it just felt a bit like overkill in twbb.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:35 pm

depinmad wrote:like i said, you're a dope.

without giving away the movie, ddl's character is clearly every bit as destructive as the hearst character, if not more so.

Depends on your definition of destructive I guess. Seems to me that everyone Plainview confronted physically deserved to be put in their place. Compare this to Hearst who had a violent psychopath in his employ and who went after people who did not deserve it, solely for the interest of money.

Swearengen and Plainview both had a sort of capitalist brutality, but both had soft spots for certain family/friends, even while pushing them away with words. Both had a kind of honor.

Swearengen was softened over time in Deadwood and became less brutal, whereas Plainview never really softened up whatsoever. Both characters represented the themes of the stories... with Swearengen being the slow civilization of the west and Plainview being the creeping self-interested capitalism in the oil industry.

If you came away from There Will Be Blood thinking that Plainview was as wholly despicable as Hearst in Deadwood, then you saw a different movie.

and if you heard "goofy music in goofy scenes" during punch drunk love, you can add tone deaf to your resume.

Ah, apparently there is some sort of well-known circle of music where harmonium music is considered serious stuff, and not at all goofy. Clearly it was high art and should be played in front of the world's most renowned musicians for inspiration. My bad; thanks for enlightening me.

artguy

PT Anderson movie music

Postby artguy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 pm

I think some of the score in Magnolia is overwhelming - then again a 3 hour movie is in general overwhelming.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:53 pm

if there is one constant in pta's movies it is the tension he creates from frame one til the end credits, and a lot of this is done with the deliberately overwhelming use of music.
if you don't see and hear that, then you're not paying attention, or you're tasunder who is in a category of non critical thinking all his own.

ta, did you say everyone plainview confronts deserves his comeuppance? and that includes his "son" and the son's interpreter?

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:02 pm

depinmad wrote:if there is one constant in pta's movies it is the tension he creates from frame one til the end credits, and a lot of this is done with the deliberately overwhelming use of music.

by no means do i claim to be an expert on pta's work... but i have seen most everything he has put out. i agree this is a trademark of his other films but would you not concede that he abuses this technique in twbb?

Return to “Movies”