"Old People" Ruining The Movie Experience

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Forum God/Goddess

"Old People" Ruining The Movie Experience

Postby aaron » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:49 am

Thought this deserved a thread of its own, being as TASunder has had such horrible experiences with elderly folks who apparently created such disruption throughout the theatre that the entire moviegoing experience was ruined for him.

Interestingly enough, I have had the opposite experience. Last week, at the Star Cinema to see "I Am Legend", a group of about five or six teenaged girls came chattering into the theatre about ten minutes before the movie began. They noisily took their seats directly in the middle of the auditorium, immediately put their feet up on the seats in front of them and proceeded to giggle and chatter loud enough to be heard practically out into the hallway.
It did not stop when the movie started, and continued pretty much unabated throughout, along with inappropriate laughing. Talk about ruining a moviegoing experience.

Prior to that, at Sundance to see "Margot At The Wedding", two twenty-something couples sitting together pretty much did the same thing as the aforementioned teenaged girls.

A couple of months ago, I actually threw a half-eaten bag of M&M's across the aisle at another group of three girls who refused to shut the fuck up. (I was angry at myself for sinking to that level, but it did manage to shut them up.)

I have yet to have a movie ruined by an older person.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this?

Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Although a movie theater is usually a privately owned business, certain rules of conduct are assumed. It is the job of the movie theater to make sure that any patron who is distracting to other paying customers are warned to stop. That having been said, in 40 years of attending the movies, I can count on less than one hand the number of times an older person said something that disrupted my enjoyment. Anyone who has a gripe about older folks talking too loud in a movie theater should remember that if that's the worst thing that happened to them that day, to most people that was a pretty good day. We should also remember that in a few short decades, we'll be the ones doing the same thing.

As for the younger people, throw the book (and the M&M's ) at em...

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Old People" Ruining The Movie Experience

Postby dave esmond » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:21 pm

aaron wrote:
I have yet to have a movie ruined by an older person.

I sure have.

The 70ish year old who sat behind my wife and I who couldn't hear the movie and needed to ask the person beside her, loudly, "What did they say?" about once a minute.

I once saw a movie mid day at Hilldale where I was the youngest person by 20 years. Worst movie going experience ever. LOUD talking throughout the entire movie. And not even related to the film.

I've had plenty of bad luck with kids and teens too. Who thought a crinkly plastic box was good to put kids meals in?

I go to see a movie maybe twice a year now. At one point I used to see that many a week. Old and young alike long ago forgot how to stfu and sit quietly and watch a movie. While I really do miss a lot about the movie going experience, I sure don't miss the other people.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Jesus, you all make it sound like there's no recourse one can take against these annoying nattering tweens.

Am I the only one with the stones to stand up and tell 'em to shut the fuck up or get out? They're not gangsters, for fuck's sake.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:45 pm

"You done dropped your pistol when you busted the window. That's your ass I guess."

"Somethin' wrong with your lips muthafucker?"

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Just complain to an usher. In more lean days I had this job myself and though pay was low, hours were long, and cleaning up theaters was the worst job I'd had yet, telling people to shut up or leave was a perk. It is the theaters responsibility to keep things comfortable for YOU the paying customer, and you're within your right to complain. Tossing a bad of M&Ms at the offender however elevates the disturbance to assault and now you are the offender.

If your complaint that the actual movie was ruined (which is totally plausible if you miss it due to distractions and have to get up to complain) then the theater should issue free tickets for another show later.

the other option is complaining on INTER-NET, where I'm sure the whole thing will be resolved sooner or later.

Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Saw an old couple walk out on Beerfest. I don't think they realized what it was about.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:47 pm

I was at home when attempting to watch Beerfest so walking out wouldn't have made much sense. Changed the channel instead.

Broken Lizard Comedy Tripe.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Let's be clear about something. The old couple at No Country For Old Men weren't just talking. The asshole LOUDLY revealed THE ENDING OF THE GODDAMN MOVIE before it even started. If he were loudly talking about a bird that crapped on his car or hip dysplasia I wouldn't have given a crap.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Where's Ned? This thread is the most convincing argument I've yet to read in favor of conceal/carry.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:46 pm

"Attack of the Old People" is not occurring at the movie theatres.
It's taking place every time i go to the grocery store.

(so sorry for being ageist)

Forum Addict

Postby square » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:52 pm

yeah totally. i usually go to the grocery store (copps on university) at 6 or 7 pm but last time i went around noon on a weekday and holy shit there were a ton of old people ambling down the middle of the aisle...

Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:02 pm

yep. The last time i was at Copps on University, i was cornered in the cheese aisle. they enclosed me in with their shopping carts. Couldn't move for a couple of minutes. Must've been double coupon day.

Postby Me7Me » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:43 am

Teenagers and old people are constantly ruining movies for me. The teenagers have no attention span and are clearly incapable of sitting down and keeping their mouth shut for more than an hour. Old people can't hear anything or follow any plot that's mildly confusing. Yes it's a broad generalization but seriously, it's true.

"Shut the fuck up" usually works pretty good for me, although it should be used cautiously on the intoxicated.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Younger dumbass blabbermouths? Yep.
Older gumflappers? Not so much.
Really really young disrupter:
when Alien first came out a friend and I snuck underagedly in and were dismayed to hear a baby crying just as things were starting to get good.
Horribly annoying.
And who would subliminally infect an infant with violent content?
After an interminable period of wah wah wahs, my friend suddenly stood up on hid seat and yelled:
Stunned silence interrupted by thunderous applause as a guy clutching a baby got up and scurried from the theater.

Return to “Movies”