Peter Jackson and MGM bury the hatchet

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Peter Jackson and MGM bury the hatchet

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:04 pm

It was pretty ugly for a while there, and it looked as though "The Hobbit" was going to get made without Peter Jackson. Apparently the two sides have reconciled and come to agreement and Jackson will be the executive producer for "both" Hobbit movies, scheduled to begin shooting in 2009 for release in 2010 and 2011. The two films will be shot simultaneously, similar to how the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was made.

I'm not sure why they're making two movies. The Hobbit is actually a bit shorter than the LOTR books and has a much more linear storyline with all the characters in the same group throughout the book.

Well, I look forward to more of the same. I hope Jackson doesn't take too many liberties with the plot. His changes in LOTR weren't so much bad as they were senseless, almost as if he simply couldn't leave good enough alone.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'm not sure why they're making two movies. The Hobbit is actually a bit shorter than the LOTR books and has a much more linear storyline with all the characters in the same group throughout the book.

My understanding is that the first film will be an adaptation of The Hobbit while the second will be a bridge between that book and the LOTR trilogy, based on some other Tolkein writings.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:49 pm

I still say The Hobbit is the best of all the books.
Horribly trodden and besmirched many times, even by Ralph Bakshi.
Godspeed Pete!
Give Bilbo a rotary lawnmower.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:23 pm

I look forward to seeing if Iam Holm, Andy Serkis, and Iam McKellen are going to reprise their roles. Also, with Jackson producing its a big question as to who will direct this movie. And though not mention in the announcement, effects had better be done by Weta or there will be trouble.

This announcement did prompt me to buy Return of The King, which was woefully missing from my movie collection.

Return to “Movies”