The Mist

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:11 pm

Marvell wrote:
Flat_Atom wrote:Creepshow is a blast! Most definately NOT a suckfest but it's not a King movie/story, he just played the character of Jeordie Verrill.

I hate to go all IMDB on the ass of someone who's agreeing with me, but...

Writers:
Stephen King (short stories The Crate and Weeds)
Stephen King (screenplay)

So - both a King movie and a story.

He assisted in writing the screenplay. Different from adapting a book to a movie.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:49 pm

Finally got a chance to see "The Mist" and was pretty impressed. One of the better horror movies I've seen in a while, and that includes "The Descent" and "28 Days Later".

Monsters are good, but you need a certain level of characterization to make an otherwise crappy horror flick into a genuinely good movie. I thought this movie did a pretty good job of sucking you into the plot and making you feel part of the tragedy.

Strangely, I thought the most satisfying moment was when they killed the Jesus-freak, a character who somehow managed to eclipse the horror of all the monsters. I suppose that the director was shooting for that angle: that somehow in our darkest hour we can be far scarier than any monster that movie magic manages to create.

Anyone notice how King movie actors seem to sneak into subsequent King films? I saw the mayor from "Storm of the Century" and the star of "The Mist" was one of the stars in "Dreamcatcher." The gas station attendant in "Silver Bullet" was the doctor in "The Stand" etc, etc.

By the way, I liked "Silver Bullet" and "Sometimes They Come Back." B movies aren't necessarily bad movies.

Tank Riot

Postby Tank Riot » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:10 pm

I LOVED the mist when it was in Skeleton Crew. I LOVED the film too... All up until the last 5 minutes. Then, I wished I had started some droning sad music and walked away as if it ended early. Instead I got to see SPOILER>>>>>>>

A bunch of nihilistic shit that didn't have to happen that royally pissed me off. What a sack of shit ending. I was going to tell my friends about this, but noone I know cares, but i really, really, really hated the ending. And, by the way, I can handle nihilism (see Audition, one of my favorites). I really liked everything up to the ending (I hope you know the point I am referring to) but when it steered away from the novella (WITH NO REASON), it lost me. All the acting was great and I really wanted to recommend this one, but now I can't without a weird ass ending disclaimer. Fuck happy endings, but count me out.

=Viktor=

PS-Still better than Cloverfield...

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:52 am

Just saw it on DVD earlier this week. Thought it was a solid Stephen King film.
It's kinda like if they threw elements of The Fog, Close Encounters, Doom, Maximum Overdrive, Lord Of The Flies, They Live, Jurassic Park, Eight Legged Freaks, and War Of The Worlds into a blender.
Tank Riot wrote:I really liked everything up to the ending (I hope you know the point I am referring to) but when it steered away from the novella (WITH NO REASON), it lost me.

As someone who did not read the novella, could someone tell me the difference?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:52 am

there's no scene in the car in the novella. it ends with the father and son heading to hartford where they think they've heard a radio transmission.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Tank Riot wrote:I LOVED the mist when it was in Skeleton Crew. I LOVED the film too... All up until the last 5 minutes. Then, I wished I had started some droning sad music and walked away as if it ended early. Instead I got to see SPOILER>>>>>>>

A bunch of nihilistic shit that didn't have to happen that royally pissed me off. What a sack of shit ending. I was going to tell my friends about this, but noone I know cares, but i really, really, really hated the ending. And, by the way, I can handle nihilism (see Audition, one of my favorites). I really liked everything up to the ending (I hope you know the point I am referring to) but when it steered away from the novella (WITH NO REASON), it lost me. All the acting was great and I really wanted to recommend this one, but now I can't without a weird ass ending disclaimer. Fuck happy endings, but count me out.

=Viktor=

PS-Still better than Cloverfield...

With very little in the way of expectations before viewing this movie, I'd say it was pretty decent for a genre I'm not so big on.
The ending pissed me off but I kinda like the fact it was able to elict that much of an emotional "you've got to be fucking kidding me" reaction --- so I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Return to “Movies”