No Country For Old Men

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Loved the movie. The ending didn't bother me, though it is not how I personally would have chosen to end it.

And I also like Sundance, a lot.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:28 pm

I like sundance a lot too. But this was the third time in a row someone of "retirement age" has in some way greatly hindered my ability to enjoy the show at sundance. The last two times it was people talking loudly during the movie. This used to happen with regularity at westgate. I wonder if these annoying cronies now go to sundance or if both theaters now have them?

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:44 pm

"I absolutely despise the mall it's in however."

Wow, sorry to hear that. For me, Hilldale is the only mall I will voluntarily go to.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:01 pm

boston_jeff wrote: martinis.

Personally I cannot find anything wrong with the availability of these.

And thank you to Fisticuffs for being the only one to label his spoiler.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:39 am

I only do vodka on the rocks with olives, but never at the movies. I like Cherry Coke and popcorn...

I will eventually make my way over to the Sundance at some point in my tenure here in Madison. But it will be out of necessity due to the lack of any good arthouse cinema here. The multiplexing of indie film will never be a good thing imho. It takes all of the fun and edge out of independent film.

Its easy to say that when you come from a place where there is an option between community-run arthouses and indie multiplexes, at least I had a choice. Here in Madison, Sundance is the only game in town so I don't blame anyone for enjoying the only option.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:38 pm

That's not exactly true, they show good movies at the Orpheum, too.

But here's a nice article about how inattentive and dense people are when they watch No Country.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:06 pm

I thought about checking out Fidel or Superbad there, but then I saw them in my Netflix queue. The Orpheum seems like it would be cool, but its not exactly first run.

OpEd

SPOILER

Postby OpEd » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:06 pm

is it just me, or am i the only one here who saw Llewellyn dead on the ground and therefore know what happened to him?

and, i'm sorry, but if there is a movie i haven't seen, and think there is a possibility that i might see it, i would not read a forum entry about said movie so as not to get spoilers.

i get the whole concept of not needing a movie tied up in a neat package for me. i mean, i do live in real life. but, whatever! i was expecting some sort of showdown between Llewellyn and the bad guy. instead, Llewellyn died without fanfare and we didn't even see the action. that was a bummer.

and a showdown between the sheriff and Anton would also have been a good scene.

i left feeling flat. after being on the edge of my seat for the entire film, i needed some sort of climax. hey! maybe this story is actually a metaphor of sorts for something entirely different. :wink:

anyway, i love Sundance. art houses are overrated. the seats are uncomfortable, you can't see the screen from the person in front of you blocking your view, and they can be a bit smelly. Sundance gives you the art house movies in an atmosphere where you can truly enjoy them.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:15 am

yes, you see him dead on the ground. he is wearing a very recognizable shirt, although his face is obscured by the angle.
japanese cinema has a longstanding tradition of offscreen action. i think the typical american moviegoer is not accustomed to this style.

i hate uncomfortable arthouses with crappy projection and sound, sundance is a gift to the city as far as those issues are concerned.

it was nice to see beowulf 3d there as well.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 am

It was obvious he was in big trouble when the mother told the drug dealer where the husband would be. As soon as he responded favorably to the lady offering him beer and other things, his fate was basically sealed. What happened was pretty well implied from those two scenes.

I like sundance too, but has anyone else noticed that the screen seems to vibrate a bit? As in, very slightly jittery. Maybe I'm just so used to a home theater that I now notice a normal artifact of film projection... whatever the case, it takes me a good 30 minutes to stop noticing it during a film.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:54 am

I could see that in some cases, my two favorite independent cinemas are comfortable (one has been refurbished with many original details) and the cinematic experience is great. Both are non-profits that are community supported and offer very high levels of programming. These venues have first run independent and foreign films, film festivals, live music, author readings, midnight sing-a-longs, lectures, and director's series. Even if they are a bit less plush than modern theaters, the choice is easy for anyone who loves film and the art scene in general. Not sure if Madison could sustain a theater like that, but I'm betting many would prefer the ethos. Its weird, with a relatively strong arts/intellectual scene and an overwhelming sense of community here, I am surprised that Sundance is the only game in town for (arguably) independent film.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 am

boston_jeff wrote:I am surprised that Sundance is the only game in town for (arguably) independent film.

Did Westgate close?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:00 am

No, my bad, is it a community run? I'm guessing not, and I'm guessing it programs pretty straight forward like Sundance.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:19 am

The orpheum shows indie films too. And there are a lot at the university either in vilas hall or at the union. And some occasional ones at the overture center.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:19 pm

Now that I have read the book I have decided that this movie sucks. In fact, I have decided the Coen Brothers suck. I will go even further and say existentialism sucks. And while I'm at it, I must confess Cormac McCarthy sucks too.

And I need not mention, Sundance Sucks. I hope the popcorn machine explodes and burns that entire ugly mall, including those ugly codos and that chain steakhouse, down to the ground cause Hilldale sucks as well.

My favorite theatre is watching a DVD at home. My wife makes great popcorn. I can put the movie on pause if I need to take a piss.

Return to “Movies”